+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

income requirement for spouse sponsorship

cleofe

Dec 29, 2008
hello!
my husband, a canadian citizen and lives in canada would like to sponsor me to go there. he's asking how much should he delare for his income so he be qualified to sponsor my going to canada? i am going alone, no children. i need reply pleaseeeeeee
thanks

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No need for income requirement to sponsor spouse who has no independent children.
He needs to submit the Print out option C (income tax remittance)

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
I'm surprised how often this question comes up. Have you tried searching the forum to see if the question has been answered before? ;)

There are no income requirements for sponsoring your spouse. All the sponsor needs to show is that they're not on any sort of social assistance or other financial trouble (ie owe money for child support or are bankrupt). Read more about it here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

See the "You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:" part.

cleofe

Dec 29, 2008
thank you very much that was a lot of help
i asked to make sure because someone told me that he needs to declare something like 20,000 for me alone and additional 4,000 for every kid???? as his income, not sure if thats for a month or for a year

sorry for i guess got you annoyed???
i just didnt go through the rest of the forum topics anymore because of time constraint...
once again, thank you

cleofe

Dec 29, 2008
hi there again, i went to that site you referred to me a while ago, but it says there that my husband must meet certain income requirements if he wants to sponsor me going up there...i would just like to know if you have any idea how much?

mitamata said:
I'm surprised how often this question comes up. Have you tried searching the forum to see if the question has been answered before? ;)

There are no income requirements for sponsoring your spouse. All the sponsor needs to show is that they're not on any sort of social assistance or other financial trouble (ie owe money for child support or are bankrupt). Read more about it here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

See the "You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:" part.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if you have no independent children then your husband does not need to prove his income requirement.
He will just need a print out option C (from canada revenue agency)

If possible, he can print out his bank statement and send it along with the application. (this is not a requirement).

cleofe

Dec 29, 2008
again thank you very much
but i have two dependent children, one aged 15, the other 11. but they will not be travelling with me. they will stay behind and finish their studies here.
hows that?

cleofe

Dec 29, 2008
nguyentu2001 said:
if you have no independent children then your husband does not need to prove his income requirement.
He will just need a print out option C (from canada revenue agency)

If possible, he can print out his bank statement and send it along with the application. (this is not a requirement).

just this last inquiry.... i have 2 dependent children under 18 years old, (15 & 11) so what are the requirements please? thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need income to sponsor a spouse or dependent children unless the dependent children also have children. Besides, if the children are not coming with you, then he is not sponsoring the children, only you.

Riri

Sep 28, 2013
Hi
Im From Canada, and i want to sponsor my spouse from srilanka
I just finished school and havent started working yet. Will i need to work for 1 year to show my income in order to sponsor?
How much income do i need?

Thankss

BossJosh

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK so we know that there is not an income requirement for the sponsor, but what about the sponsoree? Ive been looking around the forum and have read stories of the sponsor getting approved to sponsor, yet the sponsoree was denied immigrating to Canada based on financial inadmissibility and this was for the spouse sponsorship?!!

I'm currently in the process of being sponsored and am waiting for a decision, however I am not employed at this time. I assume that to be safe than sorry, that I should find a job now, and whenever the decision is made, i can just quit that job, and immigrate to Canada with my wife. At least this way, ill have more money in my pocket to make the transition easier and less stressful.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't heard of a case where the sponsor was approved and the sponsored then denied due to funds but I suppose it can happen. Say that a sponsor is a wife who has a part time job or makes very little money but she claims that her husband is a hard worker and the breadwinner of the family and she is approved as a sponsor because of that. Then it turns out that her husband doesn't speak a word of English or has been unemployed for years. In such a case, immigration may be justified in thinking that he will not be the breadwinner of the family and that he and his wife will not be able to support themselves in Canada without seeking social assistance and thus they may deny.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
cleofe said:
just this last inquiry.... i have 2 dependent children under 18 years old, (15 & 11) so what are the requirements please? thank you
Hello cleofe, there are no income requirements for the sponsor; however, please make sure you include your children on your application as "non-accompanying" dependents. They must do their medicals and be included in your application even though they will not be coming with you now. There are no fees other than to get their medicals done. If you do not include them now, you will never be able to sponsor them in the future. This is important to note as some people misunderstand this when filling out the forms. Blessings.

BossJosh

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dang that's crazy, well me and my wife, kept it honest in the application process. She is clearly the breadwinner for now, and I stated that I have not been officially employed in a coupled of years, Im hoping that this wont be a problem of me getting sponsored. Now im very worried, but I'm focusing on landing a job soon, and will have CIC update my job history, so that will give them some more lean way into my favor. That is our only big red flag within our application.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BossJosh said:
Dang that's crazy, well me and my wife, kept it honest in the application process. She is clearly the breadwinner for now, and I stated that I have not been officially employed in a coupled of years, Im hoping that this wont be a problem of me getting sponsored. Now im very worried, but I'm focusing on landing a job soon, and will have CIC update my job history, so that will give them some more lean way into my favor. That is our only big red flag within our application.
It's not an issue if she is making enough money to support you but if neither of you is working, that would be a problem.