+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Important Inquiry for the visitor's visa application for my mother.

lolo1111

Star Member
May 22, 2018
Hello

I am about re-applying for my study permit. My mother intends accompanying me as well but she'll be spending just 9 days in Canada. Me and my mother's application documents are ready, the only thing left is submission. We both applied online, separately last month, but both applications got refused. (at different times). I read that It is possible for family members to send in their online applications at the same time. Please how do I go about this????

(NOTE: I got accepted to do my Masters. I am 20 years old, that's why my mum wants to accompany me, so she can know where I'll be living for the next 2 years). She'll be spending just 9 days in Canada with me and she'll return back home.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello

I am about re-applying for my study permit. My mother intends accompanying me as well but she'll be spending just 9 days in Canada. Me and my mother's application documents are ready, the only thing left is submission. We both applied online, separately last month, but both applications got refused. (at different times). I read that It is possible for family members to send in their online applications at the same time. Please how do I go about this????

(NOTE: I got accepted to do my Masters. I am 20 years old, that's why my mum wants to accompany me, so she can know where I'll be living for the next 2 years). She'll be spending just 9 days in Canada with me and she'll return back home.
Hi

You need to apply separately.

Reactions: scylla

lolo1111

Star Member
May 22, 2018
Hi

You need to apply separately.
Okay. Applying separately online means I have to pay the application fees separately. Since we would be travelling together, wouldn't it be better I apply using the paper application?? (I could submit our forms together so the visa officer can know we're related).

I am also worried because, if we submit online, separately, how would they know we're mother and child?? because my mum mentioned the reason she'll be going to Canada in her letter of explanation. I don't know what to do so they would see my application and link us both and also know that she will accompanying me, the principal applicant.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okay. Applying separately online means I have to pay the application fees separately. Since we would be travelling together, wouldn't it be better I apply using the paper application?? (I could submit our forms together so the visa officer can know we're related).

I am also worried because, if we submit online, separately, how would they know we're mother and child?? because my mum mentioned the reason she'll be going to Canada in her letter of explanation. I don't know what to do so they would see my application and link us both and also know that she will accompanying me, the principal applicant.
Your mother is not accompanying you, you are not a principal applicant and the applications will not be linked. You need to apply separately.

lolo1111

Star Member
May 22, 2018
Your mother is not accompanying you, you are not a principal applicant and the applications will not be linked. You need to apply separately.
sorry, I don't understand you. Like I mentioned earlier, she would be accompanying me but for a few days. What if she indicates my UCI or application number on her letter of explanation, would the visa office see the need to look for my application in order to check??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sorry, I don't understand you. Like I mentioned earlier, she would be accompanying me but for a few days. What if she indicates my UCI or application number on her letter of explanation, would the visa office see the need to look for my application in order to check??
"Accompanying" means someone who qualifies to apply based on your status, i.e. a spouse applying for an OWP based on your study permit. Your mother is not accompanying.

lolo1111

Star Member
May 22, 2018

Okay. Since we would be applying separately then, the question on the family information form which says "Will accompany you to Canada??" I'll need to select NO on my application form and she'll need to also select NO on her own application form, right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

lolo1111

Star Member
May 22, 2018
Open work permit.
Thank You Syclla. I asked you a question earlier. I don't know if you've seen it. But here it is. You might be able to give me an answer.

I got accepted to do my master's in Canada. My mother will be coming to Canada with me but she will stay for just 9 days because she has to go back to work. She just wants to know where i'll be staying for the next 2 years. A normal thing a parent would do. I heard "accompany" in Canadian visa is restricted to family or spouses intending to spend as long as the principal applicant in Canada (for instance, if my mother will be staying with me throughout the 2 years of my stay in Canada).

Concerning this "accompanying" doubt. On the family information application form, the question which says "Will accompany you to Canada??" YES or NO. Should I select 'NO' for my mother (That is, on my application form) since she'll be staying just for a few days... and on her own family information application form, should she select "NO" for my name too? ORRR Should we both select yes on our forms since we'll be travelling together???

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Concerning this "accompanying" doubt. On the family information application form, the question which says "Will accompany you to Canada??" YES or NO. Should I select 'NO' for my mother (That is, on my application form) since she'll be staying just for a few days... and on her own family information application form, should she select "NO" for my name too? ORRR Should we both select yes on our forms since we'll be travelling together???
The answer is 'No'.

As you're not a minor, your mom is not expected to 'physically accompany/travel with' you to see where/how you will be staying. It is best if your mom does not apply for a TRV. You must apply for a study permit separately. Your mom can visit you several months later

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The answer is 'No'.

As you're not a minor, your mom is not expected to 'physically accompany/travel with' you to see where/how you will be staying. It is best if your mom does not apply for a TRV. You must apply for a study permit separately. Your mom can visit you several months later
100% agree.

lolo1111

Star Member
May 22, 2018
The answer is 'No'.

Okay. I understand. (But minor) Bryanna, I'm just 20 years old, I got accepted for my Master's degree and this will be my very first time of moving away from my family to a really far place like Canada. It's only natural as a mother to want to travel with her child to a place she's never been to before. There is a letter of explanation and she already explained her reasons for wanting to travel with me or accompany me. I'm 100 percent sure there is no crime or law against her coming with me since she'll be spending just 9 days in Canada. With my explanation, I'm guessing you'll understand what I mean.

That's why I asked that question. With my explanation so far, does it mean I can select 'Yes' on both family information applications? Since she really wants to come with me.

lolo1111

Star Member
May 22, 2018
The answer is 'No'.

Also, I have a father and siblings. My siblings are ages 18 and below. She will come back to the family. She has an office to go back to, as well. So she's definitely not settling in Canada. She already explained all these in her letter of explanation.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Okay. I understand. (But minor) Bryanna, I'm just 20 years old, I got accepted for my Master's degree and this will be my very first time of moving away from my family to a really far place like Canada. It's only natural as a mother to want to travel with her child to a place she's never been to before. There is a letter of explanation and she already explained her reasons for wanting to travel with me or accompany me. I'm 100 percent sure there is no crime or law against her coming with me since she'll be spending just 9 days in Canada. With my explanation, I'm guessing you'll understand what I mean.
Unfortunately, I cannot relate to your explanation for your mom to accompany you.

Me and one of my younger siblings (both of us were pre-teens) were sent to boarding school in another country (not Canada) because our family were expats. Although my parents were concerned about us, my mom/dad did not accompany us to check things out. We even traveled alone without supervision. Later, our local guardian took care of us.

Your mom applying for a TRV would make the visa officer to believe that she is *moving* with you for the 2-year duration of your study program. That's probably why she has been refused.

Also, you have not been granted a study permit. Your mom applying for a TRV is rather premature