+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration/Citizenship - Children born outside Canada

isometric

Mar 20, 2012
We will be traveling to India next week and I am pregnant. Planning to have the baby in India.

My status is Permanent Resident and my husband is Canadian Citizen.

# Will the newborn entitled for Citizenship automatically?
# What do we need to submit?
# How long will it take to get the papers and passport?

Please help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

isometric said:
We will be traveling to India next week and I am pregnant. Planning to have the baby in India.

My status is Permanent Resident and my husband is Canadian Citizen.

# Will the newborn entitled for Citizenship automatically?
# What do we need to submit?
# How long will it take to get the papers and passport?

Please help.

1. Depends on how your husband received his citizenship, if through descent, then No. If by naturalization, then yes. Note if the child is eligible for citizenship then none of his/her children born abroad will be eligible through descent.
2. When the child is born, you apply for proof of citizenship through New Delhi. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp
3. It can take up to a year. But if you proof of imminent travel plans, after you have applied for proof and the child is under 2 you can apply for a limited validity passport.

isometric

Mar 20, 2012
My husband received his citizenship, through naturalization.

2. When the child is born, you apply for proof of citizenship through New Delhi. cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp
Should we apply for the newborn baby's proof of citizenship?

Did you mean - to apply for the baby's "Citizenship certificates". Found this link cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-eligibility.asp

If you were born outside Canada

You will get a citizenship certificate if you have successfully completed all the steps to become a Canadian citizen.
You can also apply for a citizenship certificate if you were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent and you meet certain requirements.