+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration check?

nmc88

Sep 13, 2012
I've been waiting for an answer from immigration for almost two years now. I passed the citizenship test in January 2011 and still waiting. Just got off the phone with an agent and he told me my file is still in process. He said they did my background check, my criminal check and now they are doing the immigration check again(this was done before)! I don't understand what that means exactly and why? I never left Canada and have been here for more than 9 years now. Anyone else out there has experienced something similar? And who knows what an immigration check is?
My Permanent Resident has expired as well and I sent an application to renew it since I don't know how much longer is this going to take???
I wish they would ask for additional information or anything but instead there is just this mysterious "in process".

I won a trip at work and if I don't get either my citizenship or Permanent Resident Card, I don't think I can travel..:(

Please join in with some of your thoughts or advise.
Thank you!

P.S. Forgot to mention, I live in Montreal.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nmc88 said:
I won a trip at work and if I don't get either my citizenship or Permanent Resident Card, I don't think I can travel..:(
Apply for a PR with a ticket/itinerary and mark your envelope "URGENT PROCESSING". Search for urgent pr card processing on CIC website for more details. I got my PR card in 3 weeks this way.

Apply for ATIP request for your citizenship case. your complete citizenship file CIC has on you and all the progress will be reported for you. Search Canada immigration forums for instructions and examples how this works.

Rosebud

Oct 12, 2012
Hi,

The first thing is that get your PR application on its way as its important to keep all your documents in updated condition for emergencies. You can sen your application with the copy of the TRIP doc you won and CIC will process it faster so you can make it. Secondly don't be afraid if they are doing the immigration checks as its for our safety and to make sure only those people who are serious about living in Canada legally and with respect atr granted this honor. I have been waiting since Dec 2010 and finally received a partial confirmation that I'll be receiving my oath nvitation shortly (from Vancouver Office). I was also checked twice for all the criminal and immigration check including my child who is a minor. So have relax if they are runnig your security checks its a confirmation of your residency.

One question y did you wait to get your PR renewed after so long; when did your PR expired?

Good Luck :)

Rose

nmc88

Sep 13, 2012
Thank you for your encouragement Rose!
All I needed to know is that I'm not the only one who's applications is taking this long.

My PR expired at the end of August and I sent the renewal request at the beginning of September. I was hoping I'd get my citizenship by then...

Romirt

Oct 31, 2012
What does immigration check actually mean....can someone please share more information...i mean your are an immigrant have met the citizenship criterion and responded so in RQ to convince them to approe youfor oath ......are they checking if you are still eligible as a PR or what...

Rosebud

Oct 12, 2012
Hi Romirt,

I know we do feel upset when we hear that there is a background check happening (covering RCMP, CBI and CBSA) but its the procedure the Immigration department follows in order to confirm that the info we have provided is 100% correct. They only send us RQ when they have doubts and they double chrck everything before granting us the permission to live in this country. Its like chcking the person before you let them be a part of your family and you would never want a person in your family who is a criminal or a liar.

So its the protocol they have to follow. Don't worry they are smart enough to pick the right people and if you are not trying to trick them then you will have no issues.

Rose

taco

Star Member
Aug 24, 2012
rosebud

do you or any body in this forum know the time frame cic takes for background check ?

Rosebud

Oct 12, 2012
Hi,

The time frame at the Vancouver Office is between 30 - 60 days approx. I don't know where did you apply or which is your local office.

Rose :)

nmc88

Sep 13, 2012
In my case the issue could be the fact that I didn't have my expied passport (the one I used to enter Canada) when I had my citizenship test and the agent didn't like this very much but did not say there would be a problem either.
Do you think they are sending a request to my country for the passposrt information or any other documents?
The thing is that no one has ever asked for any additional papers or documents. I wish they did and this would be over by now...

Rosebud

Oct 12, 2012
Hi,

Just to be on the safe side if you have your old passport always staple it to your new ones (I have 4 old attached to my new one) when you are going to immigration as its safe and they know that you are not trying to hide any entries but ususally they only go for checks for Canada as I mentioned before and if they have more doubts they might ask you to do fingerprinting and a confirmation from your country's police which is rare.

So stay tight and keep your docs ready so you can provide them what they need right away. No need to panic if you are honest. Everything will be fine.

Rose

Pekyas

Oct 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nmc88 said:
In my case the issue could be the fact that I didn't have my expied passport (the one I used to enter Canada) when I had my citizenship test and the agent didn't like this very much but did not say there would be a problem either.
Do you think they are sending a request to my country for the passposrt information or any other documents?
The thing is that no one has ever asked for any additional papers or documents. I wish they did and this would be over by now...
When did you wrote your test?