+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Acronyms

Manjot_21

Mar 4, 2019
Thx buddy,

Just trying to help each other :)
Hi,
I am having problems with my student status. Actually i was a student at lasalle college in quebec till dec 22,2018. But i dropped that college on dec 22 because they were making me part time student for 2 semesters because i dropped french course. I completed 5 semesters in accouting and only one is left. Now i want to change the province to Vancouver but they are giving me admission in july or September intake. I consulted one lawyer and he said i should be enrolled in any college before 90 days expire otherwise i will have problem in my work permit. Now, on march 23,2019 my 90 days period will get expired.
I have not completed my last study and did 5 out 6 semesters because my lawyer said its no use doing part time in my college so i dropped. Now,my problem is want to change the province to Vancouver but only intake available to me is either in july or September but as i mentioned above i cannot go beyond 90 days gap . Is it okay if i get enrolled in july will it affect my work permit or PR process in future. Please help me i need to do sometimes asap.
Thank you

MinMin13

Star Member
Mar 9, 2019
Hi,
I am having problems with my student status. Actually i was a student at lasalle college in quebec till dec 22,2018. But i dropped that college on dec 22 because they were making me part time student for 2 semesters because i dropped french course. I completed 5 semesters in accouting and only one is left. Now i want to change the province to Vancouver but they are giving me admission in july or September intake. I consulted one lawyer and he said i should be enrolled in any college before 90 days expire otherwise i will have problem in my work permit. Now, on march 23,2019 my 90 days period will get expired.
I have not completed my last study and did 5 out 6 semesters because my lawyer said its no use doing part time in my college so i dropped. Now,my problem is want to change the province to Vancouver but only intake available to me is either in july or September but as i mentioned above i cannot go beyond 90 days gap . Is it okay if i get enrolled in july will it affect my work permit or PR process in future. Please help me i need to do sometimes asap.
Thank you
You HAVE to extend your study permit if you want to continue study even you study at the other college in or different province. You still have few more days to apply extended permit in order to put you in IMPLIED status. IMPLIED status means you can keep study and work (if your previous study permit was allowed you to work) while waiting for the final decision of your extended permit. However, you should call cic, because you want to go to another province and study, you may or may not allow to study until you get new study permit. More importantly, you will not able to have PGWP because you interrupt your study (drop 1 semester without valid reason, such as, sick, accident, etc.)

Rismum

Apr 4, 2019
Moderators please delete if not allowed. This is not an ad by any means.

me and my wife immigrated from Pakistan almost 8 years ago to Toronto and now are in Winnipeg, she being a seasoned recruiter has loads of experience is helping people finding jobs and have been getting a lot of personal messages lately from other 'soon to be immigrants' and have now developed a Facebook page to help them, she recently recorded a video about Canadian job market from an outsiders perspective; and have another session this Saturday for resume writing.

As we went through this forum zillion times to find answers for us, I thought this it the best possible way propagate this. Feel free to join in the live session. there is no cost. We just want to help people looking to move to Canada OR who have already moved and going thorough that social anxiety that we all face.

Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/wiseupaboutyourcareer/
event is pinned to the top or you can find it on left corner in 'Events' section

we have tried to boost this post in Pakistan and India but to less effect because the demographics are so widely spread. Feel free to share this link with anyone you think can benefit.
Am a master student from Nigeria specialized in agric engineering and food processing, can I get help from your wife on immigration and job finding. Am married with 2kids

Atlantico

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
Hi all,
I have a question about UCI format:
According to CIC glossary:
"A Client Identification Number (Client ID), also referred to as a Unique Client Identifier Number (UCI), can be found on any official document issued by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office, Case Processing Centre or a Canadian visa office outside Canada.
A Client ID consists of four numbers, a hyphen (-) and four (4) more numbers (example: 0000-0000).
"

However, my UCI has 10 digits without a hyphen.
Did CIC change UCI format and did not update glossary, or I got a wrong UCI? I wonder because every time I use my UCI to search for my AIPP application on eCas it said my application can not be found.
Please share your knowledge, thank you!

Scholar7777

Aug 9, 2019
Immigration acronyms:
========================

AOR - Acknowledgement of Receipt

CAIPS - Computer Assisted Immigration Processing System. This is the computer system used by Citizenship and Immigration Canada for storing all overseas visa application information. This system records every bit of information you provide. It is like an electronic identity; existence of the applicant. This is very helpful when anything abnormal happens (e.g. delay in reply, lack of updation, long processing time). It is also helpful when you are selected for the interview. You can know the probable cause of interview requirement by obtaining the CAIPS notes.
CANN - Community Airport Newcomers’ Network
CELPIP - Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program. This is one of only two English language testing organizations approved by CIC (IELTS is the other). CELPIP testing is only available in Canada (Vancouver and Toronto) and China.
CPP - Canada Pension Plan
CIC - Citizenship and Immigration Canada
CICIC - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
CIDA - Canadian International Development Agency
COPR - Confirmation of Permanent Resident Form
CSQ - Certificate du Selection du Quebec (Quebec Certificate of Selection)

DMP - Designated Medical Practitioner. Under the Skilled Worker Program application all family members must undergo a medical exam, performed by a doctor that has been approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
IRPA - Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
IRPR - Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations
EAL - English as an Additional Language
e-CAS - e-Client Application Status. This on-line service allows CIC clients to view securely the status of immigration and/or citizenship application(s) on-line, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may use this service if you have sponsored a member of the family class, applied for permanent residence from within or outside Canada, applied for a permanent resident card (initial, replacement or renewal), applied for a grant of Canadian citizenship, or applied for a proof of Canadian citizenship.
EFL - English as a Foreign Language
EI - Employment Insurance (also sometimes referred to as unemployment insurance)
ELT - English Language Training/Teaching
ESL - English as a Second Language
ESOL - English for Speakers of Other Languages
ESP - English for Specific Purposes
GIC - Guaranteed Investment Certificate
GST - Goods and Services Tax
H&C grounds - Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. In the case of Canadian immigration, refers to section A25(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Any person who does not comply with the three categories of immigration to Canada (family, economic and refugee) may ask to be considered for immigration selection on H&C grounds.
HRDC (see HRSDC) - former Human Resources Development Canada
HRSDC - Human Resources and Skills Development Canada. The government agency responsible for performing both Arranged Employment Opinions and Labour Market Opinions for the purposes of obtaining employment confirmation letters. Such letters may be required by Skilled Worker applicants when attempting to qualify for the additional ten points under the Arranged Employment Factor.
ICCS - International Council for Canadian Studies
ID - Identification
IELTS - International English Language Testing System. One of only two English language testing organizations approved by CIC (CELPIP is the other). Note that Skilled Worker applicants will want to complete the IELTS 'General Training' exams, not the 'Academic Training' exams.
IRPA - Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
MSP - Medical Services Plan
NOC - National Occupational Classification
NGO - Non-Governmental Organization
OLA - Open Learning Agency
PST - Provincial Sales Tax
RCMP - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
RRPF - Right of Permanent Residence Fee
RRSP - Registered Retirement Savings Plan
SIN -Social Insurance Number
SWP - Skilled Worker Program
TEF - Test d'Evaluation de Français. The only French language testing organization approved by CIC. Note that Skilled Workers are to complete the following tests: Comprehension Ocrite / Comprehension Orale / Expression Ecrite / Expression Orale.
VSO - Voluntary Services Overseas
WCB - Workers’ Compensation Board
YMCA - Young Men’s Christian Association
YWCA - Young Women’s Christian Association
IA-Intial Assessment
PPR-Passport Request

Scholar7777

Aug 9, 2019
Immigration acronyms:
========================

AOR - Acknowledgement of Receipt

CAIPS - Computer Assisted Immigration Processing System. This is the computer system used by Citizenship and Immigration Canada for storing all overseas visa application information. This system records every bit of information you provide. It is like an electronic identity; existence of the applicant. This is very helpful when anything abnormal happens (e.g. delay in reply, lack of updation, long processing time). It is also helpful when you are selected for the interview. You can know the probable cause of interview requirement by obtaining the CAIPS notes.
CANN - Community Airport Newcomers’ Network
CELPIP - Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program. This is one of only two English language testing organizations approved by CIC (IELTS is the other). CELPIP testing is only available in Canada (Vancouver and Toronto) and China.
CPP - Canada Pension Plan
CIC - Citizenship and Immigration Canada
CICIC - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
CIDA - Canadian International Development Agency
COPR - Confirmation of Permanent Resident Form
CSQ - Certificate du Selection du Quebec (Quebec Certificate of Selection)

DMP - Designated Medical Practitioner. Under the Skilled Worker Program application all family members must undergo a medical exam, performed by a doctor that has been approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
IRPA - Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
IRPR - Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations
EAL - English as an Additional Language
e-CAS - e-Client Application Status. This on-line service allows CIC clients to view securely the status of immigration and/or citizenship application(s) on-line, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may use this service if you have sponsored a member of the family class, applied for permanent residence from within or outside Canada, applied for a permanent resident card (initial, replacement or renewal), applied for a grant of Canadian citizenship, or applied for a proof of Canadian citizenship.
EFL - English as a Foreign Language
EI - Employment Insurance (also sometimes referred to as unemployment insurance)
ELT - English Language Training/Teaching
ESL - English as a Second Language
ESOL - English for Speakers of Other Languages
ESP - English for Specific Purposes
GIC - Guaranteed Investment Certificate
GST - Goods and Services Tax
H&C grounds - Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. In the case of Canadian immigration, refers to section A25(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Any person who does not comply with the three categories of immigration to Canada (family, economic and refugee) may ask to be considered for immigration selection on H&C grounds.
HRDC (see HRSDC) - former Human Resources Development Canada
HRSDC - Human Resources and Skills Development Canada. The government agency responsible for performing both Arranged Employment Opinions and Labour Market Opinions for the purposes of obtaining employment confirmation letters. Such letters may be required by Skilled Worker applicants when attempting to qualify for the additional ten points under the Arranged Employment Factor.
ICCS - International Council for Canadian Studies
ID - Identification
IELTS - International English Language Testing System. One of only two English language testing organizations approved by CIC (CELPIP is the other). Note that Skilled Worker applicants will want to complete the IELTS 'General Training' exams, not the 'Academic Training' exams.
IRPA - Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
MSP - Medical Services Plan
NOC - National Occupational Classification
NGO - Non-Governmental Organization
OLA - Open Learning Agency
PST - Provincial Sales Tax
RCMP - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
RRPF - Right of Permanent Residence Fee
RRSP - Registered Retirement Savings Plan
SIN -Social Insurance Number
SWP - Skilled Worker Program
TEF - Test d'Evaluation de Français. The only French language testing organization approved by CIC. Note that Skilled Workers are to complete the following tests: Comprehension Ocrite / Comprehension Orale / Expression Ecrite / Expression Orale.
VSO - Voluntary Services Overseas
WCB - Workers’ Compensation Board
YMCA - Young Men’s Christian Association
YWCA - Young Women’s Christian Association
IA-Intial Assessment
PPR-Passport Request
This is very good and informative, but please how do I locate the authentic page on the portal where I can take the IELTS general training exam???
Please I really need help...

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016