+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5669: Have you ever held any government positions?

Deepti91

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
Dear Readers,

I am a Canadian PR. Putting together forms to sponsor my spouse from India.
Spouse works in Reserve Bank of India. Also previously worked with State Bank of India.

In the form imm5669 should he mark YES or NO against the following question: "Have you ever held any government positions?"

Very confused. Please suggest.

Thank You

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Very confused. Please suggest.
The answer seems pretty clear, it's yes.

Or do you have some reason why working for either/both of these wouldn't be considered 'government'? Or some reluctance to indicate such?

It's not a big deal. Just tell the truth.

Reactions: YVR123

Deepti91

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
Reference government positions have been mentioned as
  • Civil servant;
  • Judge;
  • Police officer;
  • Employee in a security organization etc.
Above all seem like power positions which is not the case with a banking designation. Hence my confusion.

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Reference government positions have been mentioned as
  • Civil servant;
  • Judge;
  • Police officer;
  • Employee in a security organization etc.
Above all seem like power positions which is not the case with a banking designation. Hence my confusion.
It's a reasonable question (would have been clearer if you'd mentioned this in your first post with the question).

But 'civil servant' on its own has no implication of having a particular position of power, and neither does 'employee.' And if you're going to make that argument, you'd have to be more specific of which position or type of position your spouse had/has ('works at' could be anything).

At any rate: my view is that you absolutely do not wish to be accused or give the impression of not having been entirely truthful (or of misrepresentation, a serious problem).

Whereas providing the information is not going to cause any issues that don't exist anyway (as in, there actually being a security issue).

My spouse wasn't sure either and we put the information about her government positions - no problem whatsoever.

As always, up to you.

Deepti91

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
At any rate: my view is that you absolutely do not wish to be accused or give the impression of not having been entirely truthful (or of misrepresentation, a serious problem).
Definitely answering the question with a 'Yes' then.

Also, in my spouse's previous visitor visa application(applied 2 times, approved both times) we had not indicated his government position anywhere explicitly.
Hence, while submitting the spousal sponsorship application would you recommend mentioning in Letter of explanation that previously we had not mentioned government service but now we are making it loud and clear?

And last question, we plan to submit the application online later this weekend, after that I, the sponsor, am planning to visit PA for 5 weeks in Oct-Nov 2022. I have myself landed as PR in May 2022. Do you think that duration of holiday is too long and can negatively impact our spousal sponsorship application? Or I should be okay with 5 weeks of absence from Canada.

Thank you so much already for your valuable inputs!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Also, in my spouse's previous visitor visa application(applied 2 times, approved both times) we had not indicated his government position anywhere explicitly.
Hence, while submitting the spousal sponsorship application would you recommend mentioning in Letter of explanation that previously we had not mentioned government service but now we are making it loud and clear?
I'm not that familiar with the TRV application - does it ask for government employment specifically?

And last question, we plan to submit the application online later this weekend, after that I, the sponsor, am planning to visit PA for 5 weeks in Oct-Nov 2022. I have myself landed as PR in May 2022. Do you think that duration of holiday is too long and can negatively impact our spousal sponsorship application? Or I should be okay with 5 weeks of absence from Canada.
Not for me to say. Govt says 'short trips.' Personally I think that likely covers, no question, < one month. Up to you whether you can live with whatever risk there may be (it might be low - I don't know).

Reactions: Deepti91

Deepti91

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
Got to check what we exactly filled in the initial TRV application and what were the specific questions.

Alright then. Thanks again for your inputs.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Got to check what we exactly filled in the initial TRV application and what were the specific questions.
If there was a government positions question and you left it out, I'd include a letter of explanation and just explain as you did above - you thought it only applied to management level positions (or something like that).

Reactions: Deepti91

Jay13M

Jul 26, 2023
Hi @Deepti91 @armoured ,

I am in the same situation on the Parent's sponsorship aplication. It will be very helpful to know what did you do @Deepti91 when addressed IRCC with the governments postions. Parents they have SuperVisa and in that application, they put "none" to the question for the government position but put they put under personal history that they work as employees for a federal ministry.

Same thing was done on the PR application now as they thought its only for high special positions such as judges etc. IRCC did not ask for another Schedule A form "yet" but they asked for imm0149 with a letter saying "You indicated in your resume that you work for the government, please fill the detailed related work, including, dates, department, supervisor, tasks etc" and The form was filled and submitted as requested. The question, is it better to fill in a new and complete Schedule A imm5669 form and submit to IRCC or just wait?

Another point, after submitting the government related work form and Additional Family information form (they asked for both at the same time). The portal was updated and parents receive Pre Arrival Services Letter. 2 weeks later after this letter another Request was received asking for a newly filled and signed Generic form imm008 and Travel History form 5562. is that normal?

Sorry for the lengthy message and I hope to get your input. Thank you in advance

Jay13M

Jul 26, 2023
Hi @Deepti91 @armoured ,

I am in the same situation on the Parent's sponsorship aplication. It will be very helpful to know what did you do @Deepti91 when addressed IRCC with the governments postions. Parents they have SuperVisa and in that application, they put "none" to the question for the government position but put they put under personal history that they work as employees for a federal ministry.

Same thing was done on the PR application now as they thought its only for high special positions such as judges etc. IRCC did not ask for another Schedule A form "yet" but they asked for imm0149 with a letter saying "You indicated in your resume that you work for the government, please fill the detailed related work, including, dates, department, supervisor, tasks etc" and The form was filled and submitted as requested. The question, is it better to fill in a new and complete Schedule A imm5669 form and submit to IRCC or just wait?

Another point, after submitting the government related work form and Additional Family information form (they asked for both at the same time). The portal was updated and parents receive Pre Arrival Services Letter. 2 weeks later after this letter another Request was received asking for a newly filled and signed Generic form imm008 and Travel History form 5562. is that normal?

Sorry for the lengthy message and I hope to get your input. Thank you in advance
@armoured I appreciate your input if you can let me know

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi @Deepti91 @armoured ,

Too many words, not sure I understand what your question is. If IRCC asked you to fill in a form - do that.

Reactions: YVR123

Jay13M

Jul 26, 2023
Too many words, not sure I understand what your question is. If IRCC asked you to fill in a form - do that.
Thank you for the reply.

My question is, IRCC did not ask for Schedule A but parent answered "no" to the government-related work. from the resum IRCC requested to fill a fomr for government-related work and they submitted it. do they still need to send a new Schedule A form chaging the answer to "yes" even this form not requested by IRCC?

Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for the reply.

My question is, IRCC did not ask for Schedule A but parent answered "no" to the government-related work. from the resum IRCC requested to fill a fomr for government-related work and they submitted it. do they still need to send a new Schedule A form chaging the answer to "yes" even this form not requested by IRCC?

Thank you
I do not think this is of great importance since they asked already about the government-related work. I presume that employment was already shown on the form elsewhere.

But if you're worried about it - and apparently you are - might as well update it (won't take much time) and include and a short note saying including for good order, I (applicant) did not think this was the type of position meant on the form. As others have done on this form.

And if you're so worried about this, might as well mention what/what type of job/employer you're referring to here in thread.

Jay13M

Jul 26, 2023
I do not think this is of great importance since they asked already about the government-related work. I presume that employment was already shown on the form elsewhere.

But if you're worried about it - and apparently you are - might as well update it (won't take much time) and include and a short note saying including for good order, I (applicant) did not think this was the type of position meant on the form. As others have done on this form.

And if you're so worried about this, might as well mention what/what type of job/employer you're referring to here in thread.
Thank you very much for this response. Correct It is concerning. But as you mentioned the employment was mentioned on the same form elsewhere under personal history and on the parent's resume.

The employer was a federal Ministry and the titles range from staff member to department manager before retirement. All were mentioned in the submitted imm0149e government-related work form.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The employer was a federal Ministry and the titles range from staff member to department manager before retirement. All were mentioned in the submitted imm0149e government-related work form.
Yes, it was elswhere.

That said: the form is EXTREMELY clear in this respect. "Have you ever held any government positions?" (and later "such as civil servant") is not at all ambiguous. "Department manager" for a federal ministry is clearly a government position, and clearly a civil servant.

I can understand some who are not certain when they have jobs that are for some agencies and the like that are at arm's length, or work for municipalities or somesuch, and a teacher's job is one that doesn't make sense to me in the same way, or a nurse at a hospital ...

... but some are not. And yours was not.