+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5669: Have you ever held any government positions?

Jay13M

Jul 26, 2023
Yes, it was elswhere.

That said: the form is EXTREMELY clear in this respect. "Have you ever held any government positions?" (and later "such as civil servant") is not at all ambiguous. "Department manager" for a federal ministry is clearly a government position, and clearly a civil servant.

I can understand some who are not certain when they have jobs that are for some agencies and the like that are at arm's length, or work for municipalities or somesuch, and a teacher's job is one that doesn't make sense to me in the same way, or a nurse at a hospital ...

... but some are not. And yours was not.
I understand it is clearly government but for someone, that english is not first language it created confusion when IRCC mentioned judge, police service, financial security service and we were under the impression civil servant is a special job in the government sector. based on the answer was "no".

I am not sure if this is going to create a problem even though we mentioned employed in the ministry under personal history on the same Schedule A form. considering all this do we still have to send a new form?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I understand it is clearly government but for someone, that english is not first language it created confusion when IRCC mentioned judge, police service, financial security service and we were under the impression civil servant is a special job in the government sector. based on the answer was "no".

I am not sure if this is going to create a problem even though we mentioned employed in the ministry under personal history on the same Schedule A form. considering all this do we still have to send a new form?
As suggested, send a new form and provide all the information requests.

Working under the ministry is sure a "government position" and the "such as" was just giving example but not excluding what's not given in the examples.

It's pretty clear that you made an innocent mistake since in the form the work history was disclosed (you were not trying to hide the fact)

Reactions: Jay13M and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Again, I don't think it'll cause a problem in your case.

Wasn't attempting to beat you up there, just as a warning to others: this is a pretty clear one and you're fortunate it wasn't anything serious. Others will not be so lucky.

General guideline, if in doubt when fillingin IRCC forms, there are two things to do - 1) precautionary principle, if you're not sure, just disclose it - if you disclose things, very unliekly to have later issues. 2) Ask and check (including here). If English / French are not native and you're concerned because yes, cultural aspects can be quite different - definitely check.

Reactions: YVR123 and Jay13M

Jay13M

Jul 26, 2023
Thank you very much @armoured and @YVR123. It is our mistake not to ask for additional explanation. IRCC didn't request Schedule A and its not clear if they considered that "an honest mistake". but they did request to fill imm0149e "details of government related work" and we filled every details, including title,promotions, department, supervisors etc, and we submitted it to IRCC.

Our main concern is since they asked for imm0149 form and not Schedule A, does that mean they already realized we made an unintentional mistake and rather asked for imm0149 than a new Schedule A? Should we still need to send them new Schedule A even if they didn't request it? suggestion on the forum from Armoured if we are worried we can do so.

I am not sure if we are lucky and I hope so and that I didn't mess up the parents application not overlooked more details. They have Supervisa too from years back and likely the answer was "no" too to the same question!

I appreciate your responses Thank you again

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you very much @armoured and @YVR123. It is our mistake not to ask for additional explanation. IRCC didn't request Schedule A and its not clear if they considered that "an honest mistake". but they did request to fill imm0149e "details of government related work" and we filled every details, including title,promotions, department, supervisors etc, and we submitted it to IRCC.

Our main concern is since they asked for imm0149 form and not Schedule A, does that mean they already realized we made an unintentional mistake and rather asked for imm0149 than a new Schedule A? Should we still need to send them new Schedule A even if they didn't request it? suggestion on the forum from Armoured if we are worried we can do so.

I am not sure if we are lucky and I hope so and that I didn't mess up the parents application not overlooked more details. They have Supervisa too from years back and likely the answer was "no" too to the same question!

Again, I think you are probably fine. Provide what they asked.

Schedule A: you'll just have to decide. I think it does not matter but won;t hurt to provide.

Reactions: Jay13M and YVR123

alljacks

Jan 18, 2024

Any update on this?