+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5532 Spousal Sponsorship Question:

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Hello,
I am filing IMM5532 as a part of Spousal PR application, and my wife's was married previously and got divorced. below are the details and I would like to know what would be the date for "TO" field for Length of Relation ship. Please advise.

Married: 2012-Sept-09 (FROM DATE)
Separated: 2016-June (NOT LEGALLY + but Living with parents from this date)
Date of Filing: 01-June-2016
Date decree signed (Divorce): 08-Aug-2018. (DATE OF DIVORCE)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,
I am filing IMM5532 as a part of Spousal PR application, and my wife's was married previously and got divorced. below are the details and I would like to know what would be the date for "TO" field for Length of Relation ship. Please advise.

Married: 2012-Sept-09 (FROM DATE)
Separated: 2016-June (NOT LEGALLY + but Living with parents from this date)
Date of Filing: 01-June-2016
Date decree signed (Divorce): 08-Aug-2018. (DATE OF DIVORCE)
She was married until the date divorce is final. So TO 08-Aug-2018.

Oct 17, 2021
She was married until the date divorce is final. So TO 08-Aug-2018.
I have a similar question. Are you sure that this answer is correct?

They ask about the divorce date in other places, sometimes on the same form. We've been assuming that the relationship refers to the actual relationship (i.e. the From is when I started dating my ex, and the To is when I left him). If it is meant to be the date of marriage/divorce, why would they ask for it twice?

In my case using the divorce date is particularly misleading because where I was living had a one year wait period before the divorce became final, legal fact. So I left him, got my ducks in a row (which took some time), filed for divorce, got scheduled for a hearing, and then a year after I filed (iirc), I became legally divorced. I'd hardly call that wait time "in a relationship".

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

They ask about the divorce date in other places, sometimes on the same form. We've been assuming that the relationship refers to the actual relationship (i.e. the From is when I started dating my ex, and the To is when I left him). If it is meant to be the date of marriage/divorce, why would they ask for it twice?

In my case using the divorce date is particularly misleading because where I was living had a one year wait period before the divorce became final, legal fact. So I left him, got my ducks in a row (which took some time), filed for divorce, got scheduled for a hearing, and then a year after I filed (iirc), I became legally divorced. I'd hardly call that wait time "in a relationship".
I do not know correct answer but would be inclined to put the date when the relationship ended, not the date of the legal divorce.

BUT: in general with IRCC, if you're in doubt, attach a short letter of explanation and tell the truth and explain. Briefly.

Last edited:
Reactions: questioningcabbit
Oct 17, 2021
I do not now correct answer but would be inclined to put the date when the relationship ended, not the date of the legal divorce.

BUT: in general with IRCC, if you're in doubt, attach a short letter of explanation and tell the truth and explain. Briefly.
Thanks! That seems like really good advice. :)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Your case sounds complicated. So up to you to put whatever is the prefer way but include a letter to explain it.