+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM1344 - conflicting advice

LeoWake

Dec 10, 2019
Hi,

I'm currently undertaking a spousal sponsorship, as a Canadian citizen living in USA.

In filling for IMM1344 (Application to sponsor, sponsorship agreement and undertaking), there is an apparent conflict in the instructions:

Under Sponsorship Eligibility Assessment, it says "If you answer "No" to any questions from 1 to 4, you are not eligible to be a sponsor. You should NOT submit your application."

Question 4 asks: "Do you reside in Canada and in no other country?"

Immediately beneath that question, it is stated: "If you answered "NO", but are a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada, you may still be eligible to sponsor."

So my question is, which of these two notices takes precedence? Can I answer "NO" and still have my application for sponsorship approved?

Thanks for anyone who has gone through this, and can advise!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Under Sponsorship Eligibility Assessment, it says "If you answer "No" to any questions from 1 to 4, you are not eligible to be a sponsor. You should NOT submit your application."

Immediately beneath that question, it is stated: "If you answered "NO", but are a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada, you may still be eligible to sponsor."

So my question is, which of these two notices takes precedence? Can I answer "NO" and still have my application for sponsorship approved?
The instructions are indeed contradictory. You can apply. The key part is the section above that, where effectively you say you will reside in Canada as soon as spouse and dependents become PRs. (I submitted recently in similar and was approved as sponsor).

I think if you look at the complete application guide it may be more clear, but I've now forgotten.

Luthien

Star Member
Jul 25, 2018
AOR Received.
23-05-2019
I am pretty sure that they ask in the checklist again too and that is also where they mention that you need to prove that you (the Canadian) will move back to Canada once the application is done processing.

amanda_sakura

Star Member
Mar 31, 2019
Whistler BC
Hi,

I'm currently undertaking a spousal sponsorship, as a Canadian citizen living in USA.

In filling for IMM1344 (Application to sponsor, sponsorship agreement and undertaking), there is an apparent conflict in the instructions:

You can answer NO and you are still eligible since you are a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents of Canada must be living in Canada in order to sponsor someone. Citizens don't have to :)

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi,

All the above answers are correct. In addition to what has been said there is more that has to be done. Take special notice of where it says to give a detailed outline of your plan for how you will support yourself and the PA when you get back to Canada. They want lots of details, where you will live, will you have a job etc. Communicating with potential employers, job searches, inquiries about rental or purchasing property for a couple examples. Apparently this is a determining factor in the sponsorship approval.

I am also living outside Canada doing what you want to do.

Cheers