Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 29, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 20, 2012
Back in 2005 I had originally applied for PR for myself, my then spouse and daughter. All of us got PR, but my wife and daughter never immigrated or visited Canada due to some personal issues. I am now planning to sponsor my daughter who just turned 18.

I am a little confused as to the best way to answer this question on the form IMM 5534.

Information about Previous Examination (to be completed by the sponsor):
The person I am sponsoring was declared as my dependent child and was already examined when I applied for a permanent resident via, and did not receive an immigrant visa.
No Yes

The reason I am confused because part of the question is yes and the other part is No :eek:
The person I am sponsoring was declared as my dependent child and was already examined - YES
and did not receive an immigrant visa - NO

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sri

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
I personally would answer yes. It's confusing because neither answer is completely accurate, but I think yes is more accurate than no. If they see "no" they might automatically assume your child was not declared, thus making her ineligible to be sponsored. They aren't always the best at fully examining the supporting documentation/letters of explanation, especially not right away when the app is received.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
The logical answer to the question can only correctly be YES if the answer to both of the 2 parts is YES.

1.) The person I am sponsoring was declared as my dependent child and was already examined - YES
2.) and did not receive an immigrant visa - YES

I don’t think YES is accurate………and in this case NO will be a good answer to the question due to the 2nd part of the question “and did not receive an immigrant visa – NO”.

To answer YES to the question in this case in my opinion will be partly a misrepresentation……as that will mean the answer to the 2nd part of the question is YES…....which is not true as the dependant did actually receive an immigrant visa back in 2005.

However, I also understand why NO as answer to the question may erroneously lead to an assumption that the child was not declared……..thus making her ineligible to be sponsored..….if the supporting explanation letter was not examined during review.

Regardless whether you decide to answer YES or NO or DO NOT PROVIDE AN ANSWER…….will advice you clip a supporting explanation letter to the checklist…….to explain the circumstances……..and to highlight the reason for your answer.

Sebliv

Feb 21, 2021
I was confused for that question too. My boyfriend married me here and sponsored me for permanent I declared my children as my dependent but un accompanied yet because at that time they don’t have yet the passport but immigration ask them to medical examination and pass requirements. when my permanent arrived I’m rushing to do the process because my older son turn to 23 this March and I saw that question . What. Should I’m going to answer yes or no . Thank you

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I was confused for that question too. My boyfriend married me here and sponsored me for permanent I declared my children as my dependent but un accompanied yet because at that time they don’t have yet the passport but immigration ask them to medical examination and pass requirements. when my permanent arrived I’m rushing to do the process because my older son turn to 23 this March and I saw that question . What. Should I’m going to answer yes or no . Thank you
You cannot sponsor your older son. The definition of dependent is under 22.