+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm an IELTS examiner...

JKnight22

Mar 1, 2013
sharpe88 said:
Hi cheers,

I find an older book called "101 Helpful Hints for IELTS" to be pretty good.

The official IELTS practice tests have answers and explanations so you can actually score yourself (except for speaking, of course).

Hey sharpe88; thanks for the thread, very interesting read.

Myself, I'm an IELTS prep course instructor in Canada, and I'm thinking of applying to become an examiner. Since you're the expert maybe you can help me out with a question. I'm wondering if there are restrictions here about whether examiners can teach IELTS prep courses? I heard somewhere that you're not allowed to advertise the fact that you're examiner, but I'm unsure about the specific rules here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GreenBD

Star Member
Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2010
Doc's Request.
18-03-2012
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
24-02-2011
IELTS Request
sent with initial application
Med's Request
feb'2013
Interview........
exempt
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 2014
LANDED..........
In sha Allah 1st week of April 2014
sharpe88 said:
Hi,

I'm an English trainer and IELTS examiner who happens to be sponsoring his wife over for PR.
Since I'm here anyway you can let me know if there's any questions about the test and I'll try to answer.
Note, my knowledge is about the test itself, not NOC, CLB, CELPIP, TEF, or immigration in general (I'm here to learn).

If you have questions about improving your scores please try to be specific.
Dear sharpe88,

I found your blog just recently.
Certainly it shoud be a helpful forum for those who need IELTS help.

I've tried several time to improve my IELTS score from 6.5 to 7 in writing.
Other sectiion are more or less fine. As an examiner can I ask some tips or
some help how I could develop my skills to get my desired score in writing.

Please help me regarding this issue.

Thanks and regards,

GreenBD

explorer677

Mar 8, 2013
Hi there,

I'm looking for a privet ielts tutor to improve my speaking band. Please let me know if you are interested in or know somebody who might be interested in online tutoring.

Thanks

azaman1993

Mar 6, 2013
sharpe88 said:
Hi,

I'm an English trainer and IELTS examiner who happens to be sponsoring his wife over for PR.
Since I'm here anyway you can let me know if there's any questions about the test and I'll try to answer.
Note, my knowledge is about the test itself, not NOC, CLB, CELPIP, TEF, or immigration in general (I'm here to learn).

Dear Sir,

Good day. I need your kind advice and materials to improve score. My email address is azaman1993@yahoo.com. I will ever grateful to you.

Best wishes,

msohail

Star Member
Dec 28, 2009
ANY ONE CAN LET ME KNOW THAT 7 BANDS RESULT IN IELTS = 24 POINTS
HOW MUCH BANDS REQUIRED TO GET 24 POINTS
HOW MUCH BANDS REQUIRED TO GET 20 POINTS
HOW MUCH BANDS REQUIRED TO GET 16 POINTS

sharpe88

Nov 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JKnight.. I imagine you've found your answers by now... but that's right that examiners can teach IELTS prep, but not advertise it. It would be best to check with your local IELTS "authorities" though, I don't work out of Canada and policies could be different..

As for others requesting help, please post your specific question as I don't have time to message you all individually. Also, search to see if your question has been answered before.

JKnight22 said:
Hey sharpe88; thanks for the thread, very interesting read.

Myself, I'm an IELTS prep course instructor in Canada, and I'm thinking of applying to become an examiner. Since you're the expert maybe you can help me out with a question. I'm wondering if there are restrictions here about whether examiners can teach IELTS prep courses? I heard somewhere that you're not allowed to advertise the fact that you're examiner, but I'm unsure about the specific rules here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

harsh81

Jun 14, 2013
Hi,

I have problem in Reading Module. I have very slow reading speed. How can i improve my reading skills? I have already appeared for IELTS exam twice. Got 5 bands in Reading. Please suggest me some good books to improve my reading band scores.

Regards,
Harsh

paritosh_thanki

Star Member
Jun 28, 2012
Harsh,

Dont try to read whole paragraphs, If you do so you wont get good bands.
Read questions first, derive a keyword from a question.....( take 4-5 questions / keywords same time ) and start random search within content.
Somewhere you will find similar data and when you get something related just read those 3-4 lines and decide answer.

But you have to practice very hard to reach your goal. Academic Reading is really tough. general is little bit easy.

bafakih

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2013
Doc's Request.
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
08-11-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Hey sharpe88,
Thanks for offering to help. I have a quick question, is it true, If the reading section is hard, they tend to go easy on the scoring. For instance, in university, if the exam was hard, we would be graded on a curve, is such the case with IELTS.
I ask as I sat for the test this past weekend and found the reading section to be to long and hard and don't feel as confident as I felt when I did the practise test. I did about 30 listening practise test and about 20 reading test before I sat for the exam. On all my practise test for listening I scored between 34 to 39 and, for reading I scored between 32 to 38.
I am looking for a score of 6 on all sections as I am doing this for immigration purpose but don't feel confident about the reading section.

As per the listening section, for people who are about the take the test, make sure you practise listening WIHTOUT ear phones, during the test you don't have ear phone, sections play on loud speakers. Even though some books may suggest to use ear phones, try without as it will only help you in your exam.

sharpe88 said:
Hi,

sharpe88

Nov 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you should practice scanning and skimming skills. There are workbooks out there that help with this

paritosh_thanki said:
Harsh,

Dont try to read whole paragraphs, If you do so you wont get good bands.
Read questions first, derive a keyword from a question.....( take 4-5 questions / keywords same time ) and start random search within content.
Somewhere you will find similar data and when you get something related just read those 3-4 lines and decide answer.

But you have to practice very hard to reach your goal. Academic Reading is really tough. general is little bit easy.

sharpe88

Nov 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry bafakih, while we only mark Writing and Speaking, the IELTS is not graded on a curve as far as I know.

Good luck.

bafakih said:
Hey sharpe88,
Thanks for offering to help. I have a quick question, is it true, If the reading section is hard, they tend to go easy on the scoring. For instance, in university, if the exam was hard, we would be graded on a curve, is such the case with IELTS.
I ask as I sat for the test this past weekend and found the reading section to be to long and hard and don't feel as confident as I felt when I did the practise test. I did about 30 listening practise test and about 20 reading test before I sat for the exam. On all my practise test for listening I scored between 34 to 39 and, for reading I scored between 32 to 38.
I am looking for a score of 6 on all sections as I am doing this for immigration purpose but don't feel confident about the reading section.

As per the listening section, for people who are about the take the test, make sure you practise listening WIHTOUT ear phones, during the test you don't have ear phone, sections play on loud speakers. Even though some books may suggest to use ear phones, try without as it will only help you in your exam.

sharpe88

Nov 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry for not checking this forum more often, by the way. My wife already landed some time ago.