+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm an IELTS examiner...

sharpe88

Nov 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I'm an English trainer and IELTS examiner who happens to be sponsoring his wife over for PR.
Since I'm here anyway you can let me know if there's any questions about the test and I'll try to answer.
Note, my knowledge is about the test itself, not NOC, CLB, CELPIP, TEF, or immigration in general (I'm here to learn).

If you have questions about improving your scores please try to be specific.

rockers2012

May 8, 2012
if you score 7.5 band in speaking and your friend scores 8.0 band. What exact difference is there between the bands in terms of language skills/performance?

Thanks

sharpe88

Nov 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi rockers, there certainly is a difference between the bands. I wouldn't be able to say exactly the difference between how you and your (theoretical?) friend performed though. It means he scored higher on the criteria on average. (Do a Google search for "IELTS public band descriptors")

Note that there is a rounding down in the scores. That is, if you score 8.0 on every criteria but one on them was only 7.5, your overall speaking score is rounded down to 7.5.

rockers2012

May 8, 2012
I'd say there is not much difference between a 7.5 band scorer and a 8 band scorer if I went by your description. On most criteria both have shared the same performance.

For some reasons, IELTS speaking section is not perfect at least for me. What do you think of it as an examiner? Topics are way too easy/common to talk about.

The IELTS examiner keeps asking questions and the applicant keeps answering them. In a real life scenario, both at work or univ surroundings....both participants have to be engaged in a conversation at the same time. If a student does not understand something, he or she has to ask/formulate a question right on the spot for a clarification, same with an employee/employer situation. But that does not take place during the IELTS speaking. I scored 7.5 in the IELTS exam however whenever I travel to a native speaking English country as a tourist, the way I have to repeat myself talking to native speakers I should not have given to myself more than a 5 band. That's a true assessment of my speaking ability based on real life feedback.

sharpe88

Nov 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well rockers, there generally is not a huge difference between 7.5 and 8.0. However, as I mentioned, there are different ways to arrive at those scores, so it really depends. Also honestly there is a level of subjectivity, so two different examiners may give a slightly different score to the same candidate.

The IELTS Speaking is not a perfect simulation of real life, I agree. However, I personally don't think it's too bad either. Part 3 is meant more or less to be a realistic, mature conversation. Perhaps your experience was not so? Also, you are allowed to ask for clarification in the test, especially Part 3. And you feel your real-world oral English is not as good as indicated on the IELTS, right? I suppose that is to be expected since the real world is more varied and unpredictable than a test can measure. Oddly I find most candidates feel their oral English is better than their IELTS Speaking score indicates.

As for repeating yourself to native speakers, I suppose it's possible IELTS examiners are more used to listening to different accents or varieties of English than average people in the English-speaking countries.

Samkor, I can't reply to you on private message. Maybe you can post your questions here.

gmal664

Apr 21, 2012
I need real people to practice listening and talking or an other way

Hi examiner,

today I feel I'm lucky because I find someone from depth of my problem.

- I'm going to study IELTS for immigration purpose.
- I finished Baroon for IELTS -(book)-
- I need real people to pracice talking & listening.
- or helpfull vedios with words and sound in the same time.
- I can prepare money for one exam :) because of that I'm carefull to get best everage.
- I try this site chat but it said: "Members Only. Please login via the website.". I confused wich member.
- anyhow any canadian chat for IELTS preparation or practicing can help me.
- Thanks alot

rockers2012

May 8, 2012
sharpe88 said:
Well rockers, there generally is not a huge difference between 7.5 and 8.0. However, as I mentioned, there are different ways to arrive at those scores, so it really depends. Also honestly there is a level of subjectivity, so two different examiners may give a slightly different score to the same candidate.

The IELTS Speaking is not a perfect simulation of real life, I agree. However, I personally don't think it's too bad either. Part 3 is meant more or less to be a realistic, mature conversation. Perhaps your experience was not so? Also, you are allowed to ask for clarification in the test, especially Part 3. And you feel your real-world oral English is not as good as indicated on the IELTS, right? I suppose that is to be expected since the real world is more varied and unpredictable than a test can measure. Oddly I find most candidates feel their oral English is better than their IELTS Speaking score indicates.

As for repeating yourself to native speakers, I suppose it's possible IELTS examiners are more used to listening to different accents or varieties of English than average people in the English-speaking countries.

Samkor, I can't reply to you on private message. Maybe you can post your questions here.
Well thought out answer. I have nothing to add. You understood my point and you explained your position as well.

IELTS does a pretty good job in other parts of the language. It is just that I have a long way to go in speaking section and I do not take IELTS's marking criteria that seriously for the same very reasons you had expanded upon above..

sharpe88

Nov 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: I need real people to practice listening and talking or an other way

Gmal, I think there's many resources listed on this forum and on the Internet. Where do you live? I suggest you find a tutor or language partner around where you live. Or you could find a chat partner on Skype maybe. Anyone else have advice on that?

Besides this, I think the Australia Network site has many good resources for preparing for IELTS.
australianetwork.com/studyenglish/ Of course, most of the accents are not Canadian, but it's still good information.

gmal664

Apr 21, 2012
am in Sudan, most of tutors are non first language holders, now am installing Skype, it is good idea, and I will try Australia Network site.

any way thanks

===

I think English is life

if some one need to examing you he needs to follow you in clup and in school and in your friends sessions because marks may be not real stage and didn't mean you are super, It is hard practising with real people talk real english.
:) that as I think

manigopal

Aug 25, 2012
I am an Indian thinking about to take IELTS academic in Canada many of them saying that we cannot get good score in canada when compared to India ,will there be any difference in evaluation particularly in speaking and writing.as I am writing IELTS in.native English speaking country.
kindly reply me

marina_quelle

Star Member
Mar 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2015
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen and I'm going to sponsor my fiancé after marriage to move to Canada with me.

He is thinking of doing a post grad in Canada after we marry, was wondering if he would need the IELTS certification when he receives PR? He's an Indian citizen.

Also I'm not sure if PR is received immediately or it takes a couple of months or years? Since you are sponsoring your wife over, would you have an idea how long it will take for her PR to come?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
marina_quelle said:
Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen and I'm going to sponsor my fiancé after marriage to move to Canada with me.

He is thinking of doing a post grad in Canada after we marry, was wondering if he would need the IELTS certification when he receives PR? He's an Indian citizen.

Also I'm not sure if PR is received immediately or it takes a couple of months or years? Since you are sponsoring your wife over, would you have an idea how long it will take for her PR to come?
Spousal sponsors do not require IELTS for PR. When it comes time to apply for citizenship, he will have to demonstrate language proficiency (and IELTS counts for that) in English or French, but that's a while off.

Outland PR through NDVO requires something like 8 months last I looked (this is the number for 80% of applications to be completed). Sponsor approval takes ~6 weeks right now, so the entire process is very likely to be under one year.

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
24-10-2012. PP RECEIVED LVO 29 OCT, Decesion made line added Nov 13, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2012, PP returned back 20-11-2012
LANDED..........
Jun 2013 got PR card August 20 2013
Thanks for sharing ideas about IELTS examination and improvements.

I have listening area problem. I can understand what they speak but some times can't relate it well. Mostly get confused if I missed any questions. Please advice me the best way top improve this skill. Listening and understanding is not a problem for me, the only missing link is relating and following the information.

Please please advise me....

spyrosbestplumber

Dec 17, 2012
an74 said:
Thanks for sharing ideas about IELTS examination and improvements.

I have listening area problem. I can understand what they speak but some times can't relate it well. Mostly get confused if I missed any questions. Please advice me the best way top improve this skill. Listening and understanding is not a problem for me, the only missing link is relating and following the information.

Please please advise me....
I know exactly what you mean since I had the same problem myself and partialy still do.The thing is that you have to learn to think in English.You have to turn your mind language to "english mode ".To succeed in that you have to practice English in every chance you have in your daily life .Actually you have to imerse yourself into the specific language in many ways.Read books for fun (not text books ),listen to podcasts repeatedly (lets say the same podcast , 4-5 times per day for a week ,so by the end of the week you will know the podcast by heart),download and watch repeatedly tv series (I recomend two and a half men ,it's fun and they speak quite clear),keep a notebook with you at all times and note down not only the unknown words but the words you would like to know ,watch BBC for at least half an hour everyday.Finaly ,you can repeat instantly what you hear in your mind.The hard part in the test is at the end when you have to read and listen to all of the information at the same time.That is the only think that confuses me a bit but you know ,Rome wasn't build in a day.Good luck with the real thing.

CanadaNow

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2012
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
File Transfer...
14-01-2013
Med's Request
28-08-2012
Med's Done....
06-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
31-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
hi Sharpe,

Thanks for volunteering your knowledge while you are hanging out with us :)

My question is to do with English Language certification in general (not IELTS specifically). Just curious how the oral exams view different pronounciations from different parts of the world.

For example:
I have always pronounced the word mosquito as mos-kee-toe (my region has always taken the U as a silent letter in most if not all QU situations)
My Kenyan wife pronounces the same word as mos-kwee-toe

I don't see these as different accents but different pronounciations. I don't think either way is incorrect and over the years I have noticed several pronounciation differences.

How do the language certification companies (IELTS/TOEFL etc) account for these differences?

Thanks