+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

if holding OWP, can we apply for the health insurance card?

xihy06

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Aug-2013
Doc's Request.
10-Mar-2014
AOR Received.
09-Oct-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with app
Med's Done....
Upfront 01-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
27-May-2014; VO change Req.:28-May; Confirmation Rec.: 12-June
Hey guys, just curious about one thing.

My closed work permit expires in two months and my work contract will end at the same time. I have submitted my CEC application. When recieving AOR I am planning to apply for BWOP. Now I have health insurance card which expires in the same month as my closed work permit. My question is, can I still get the health insurance card renewed after getting the BWOP? even probably I don't have a job then.

Thank you for your help guys.

whymeee

Apr 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know how it is in other provinces, but in Ontario you have to be either a citizen/permanent resident OR a full time worker to get OHIP.

Here you can find more in depth info - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_eligibility.aspx

xihy06

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Aug-2013
Doc's Request.
10-Mar-2014
AOR Received.
09-Oct-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with app
Med's Done....
Upfront 01-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
whymeee said:
I don't know how it is in other provinces, but in Ontario you have to be either a citizen/permanent resident OR a full time worker to get OHIP.

Here you can find more in depth info - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_eligibility.aspx
thanks whymeee, I will check that or call them to confirm.

mrniceguy3981

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2012
AOR Received.
25-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
11-07-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013 (RPRF/biodata request same day)
Passport Req..
15-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-08-2013
LANDED..........
28-08-2013
xihy06 said:
thanks whymeee, I will check that or call them to confirm.
---------------------
if you have applied for PR and got AOR, it can also help..

"you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada ;"

Ottawa10

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
xihy06 said:

My closed work permit expires in two months and my work contract will end at the same time. I have submitted my CEC application. When recieving AOR I am planning to apply for BWOP. Now I have health insurance card which expires in the same month as my closed work permit. My question is, can I still get the health insurance card renewed after getting the BWOP? even probably I don't have a job then.

Hi,

The agent (I live in Ontario) said that if the case type of my WP shows 27 (BOWP falls under case type 27), I can apply for OHIP without a job offer.

Look under eligibility; it should say:
  • you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada ;

I would assume same applies to other provinces.

xihy06

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Aug-2013
Doc's Request.
10-Mar-2014
AOR Received.
09-Oct-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with app
Med's Done....
Upfront 01-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
that's exciting news buddy. Anyone here holding BWOP has successfully got the health insurance card?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ottawa10 said:
Hi,

The agent (I live in Ontario) said that if the case type of my WP shows 27 (BOWP falls under case type 27), I can apply for OHIP without a job offer.

Look under eligibility; it should say:
  • you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada ;

I would assume same applies to other provinces.
Please note this line from OHIP "you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada" Applying for CEC to CPP Ottawa is NOT applying for PR in Canada. CPP-Ottawa is considered an overseas office.

shibinp

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2013
AOR Received.
23-04-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
29-Jan-2014
OK, in my case when I was trying to renew my OHIP by using my BOWP, I was asked to provide employment proof. As I am still working for my employer, I could produce the employment letter and they extended my OHIP card. So if you can produce the employment letter you can extend or apply.

As per OHIP program, the OHIP is available only for the residents who is employed (in case of temporary residents) and for Citizens, PR etc. the employment does not matter.

hope this helps

Vik1112

Star Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CCP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF & Biodata 23-12-2013
AOR Received.
19-04-2013
Med's Request
24-12-2013
Med's Done....
06-01-2014 (eCAS received 02-02-2014)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa exepmt
VISA ISSUED...
30-01-2014 (received in mail 05-02-2014)
LANDED..........
06-02-2014 at Peace bridge
I have BOWP and I extended my OHIP health card a few days ago. In addition to the standard doc's you are gonna need to show your new work permit and a proof of a full time employment, like a reference letter.

xihy06

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Aug-2013
Doc's Request.
10-Mar-2014
AOR Received.
09-Oct-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with app
Med's Done....
Upfront 01-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
Vik1112 said:
I have BOWP and I extended my OHIP health card a few days ago. In addition to the standard doc's you are gonna need to show your new work permit and a proof of a full time employment, like a reference letter.
Thanks guys. so the conclusion is if you are holding BOWP but are not employed you can not renew or apply for your health card. At least this is the case in Ontario...

shibinp

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2013
AOR Received.
23-04-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
29-Jan-2014
xihy06 said:
Thanks guys. so the conclusion is if you are holding BOWP but are not employed you can not renew or apply for your health card. At least this is the case in Ontario...
Yes, if you are a temporary worker, you should be employed to receive OHIP. And obviously "OHIP - Ontario Health Insurance Program" is for Ontario only. :)

anni_in

Sep 4, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2013
AOR Received.
16-Jul-2013
Med's Request
31-Jan-2014
Med's Done....
7-Feb-2014 Medical received.: 17-Feb-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
1-Mar-2014
I visited 47 Sheppard Avenue East today for health Card renewal. They renewed my Health card with the

Citizen/Immigration status: "APPLICANT TO REMAIN AS P.R." , but refused to renew for my family.

My wife also got open work permit based on AOR number and my children has visitor status.

They are asking employee letter (full time job) to renew health card for the family.

Mail received from Citizenship and Immigration Canada having file number does not state my family members name. It only address to me. How can I proof that my family also applied for PR and I am the primary applicant.

lrow

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi ,

I am a PR applicant and got a new Bridging Open Work Permit on mid Nov 2013 for one year (i.e. expiring Nov 2014). I went to Service ontario to renew my heath card based on this NEW work permit end of Nov . They renewed health card for both me and my wife .

FYI- I had a closed work permit expiring mid of Dec 2013 .

Now, I have got this letter dated 1st week of December from Service Ontario related to my health card (My health card only ). Anybody has any idea ??

"The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is responsible for ensuring that only eligible registrants have access to publicly-funded health services. ServiceOntario is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the information recorded in the ministry database under Section 11(2) of the Health Insurance Act.

The document identification recorded by the ministry from your work permit is not the same as the information in Citizenship and Immigration Canada's records.

Please forward a PHOTOCOPY or SCANNED COPY of the front and back of your most recent Canadian immigration document(s), along with this letter, using the enclosed envelope, or the fax number or email address provided below. Please provide a telephone number where you may be reached during the day.

If there has been a legal name change which differs from the name on your immigration document, please send a copy of the legal name change document as well.

This information must be received by Feb XX, 2014 even if you have been issued a new health card, to ensure that there is no unnecessary interruption to your health coverage.

Thank you for working with us to ensure that our records are accurate, thereby protecting the integrity of the Ontario health care system."

rose08

Nov 10, 2013
xihy06 said:

I received my OHIP card (health card) with just showing my BOWP and old work permit last week. I am also unemployed right now. So, even when you don't have a job, you can still get your health card as long as you have BOWP.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
lrow said:
Now, I have got this letter dated 1st week of December from Service Ontario related to my health card (My health card only ). Anybody has any idea ??

"The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is responsible for ensuring that only eligible registrants have access to publicly-funded health services. ServiceOntario is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the information recorded in the ministry database under Section 11(2) of the Health Insurance Act.

The document identification recorded by the ministry from your work permit is not the same as the information in Citizenship and Immigration Canada's records.

Please forward a PHOTOCOPY or SCANNED COPY of the front and back of your most recent Canadian immigration document(s), along with this letter, using the enclosed envelope, or the fax number or email address provided below. Please provide a telephone number where you may be reached during the day.

If there has been a legal name change which differs from the name on your immigration document, please send a copy of the legal name change document as well.

This information must be received by Feb XX, 2014 even if you have been issued a new health card, to ensure that there is no unnecessary interruption to your health coverage.
It could be something as silly as the agent making a typo, or forgetting to scan/photocopy your new work permit. I would just do ask they ask...