+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
oh you did ! thats great ! my writing didnt go well.. since i think i didnt give nice evidences... though language i used was fine.

Ill book another one since I have to get CLB 10 .. dont have a choice...
All the best for results. We always feel we could have done better in writing. So don’t worry. Results will be good.

Akhil Soni

Star Member
Feb 9, 2018
oh you did ! thats great ! my writing didnt go well.. since i think i didnt give nice evidences... though language i used was fine.

Even mine was not up to the mark. Did a blunder in task achievement.

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
All the best for results. We always feel we could have done better in writing. So don’t worry. Results will be good.
Yeah thats there ! My situation is pretty weird right now..... hopefully 27th one will the last ielts attempt for CLB 10 ! :D

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017

I don't think evidences carry much weightage. They are basically just considered as examples. What they look at is the sentence structure and the usage of words and whether you were able to clearly express your views.

Just don't repeat the same words. Use a lot of vocabulary. I scored 7 despite only writing 110 words in Task 1. Might have scored more if I had completed the task, so never know.

darshanmodi

Jul 30, 2018
Can experts please evaluate and provide a detailed feedback.

Task 1
Write a letter to a manager whose company is constructing their new office next to your apartment.
-Introduce yourself.
-describe problems you are facing because of this.
-suggest solutions.

Dear Sir,
My name is Darshan Modi. I live in apartment no. 26 on Achole road. I am writing this letter to complain about the ongoing construction of your office next to my residence.
The construction work is being done just next to my parking slot due to which a lot of dust is accumulating on my car and hence I have to consistently wash my car. In fact, in last one week I have washed my car more than three times. Also, the noise arising due to the construction activity is making the whole situation more worse. Everyday I am continuously disturbed by the noise of heavy machinery being used.
I think if the new location of the office is shifted bit further to the opposite of the main building entrance then it would resolve both the issues mentioned above. I strongly assert that these problems must be addressed at the earliest. I am also sending a copy of this letter to my society.

Yours Faithfully,
Darshan Modi.

Task 2
Some people think it is better to change their career at least once in their life and do different things for jobs. Do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

These days there is a trend among the working professionals where they consistently switch their jobs for multiple reasons. According to some it is argued that it is beneficial to opt for a different career, whereas I am totally against it and will prove it in the following essay.
Firstly, there is no career progression due to change of the job profile. Since an employee will have to start from the ground level it will require dedicated rigorous hardwork to get into the momentum and it will have a tremendous effect on the productivity. For example, if someone from management opts for development and delivery, then it will have a huge impact on the deliverables. However, if the candidate sticks to his current skillset then the existing skills can be enhanced which will boost his career.
Secondly, the switching of the profile will have an impact on the total pay scale of the employee. Since the job profile is completely irrelevant there will be a huge dip in the earnings as he would lack the essential required skills. For instance, if someone from IT field enrolls himself for the banking profile then he will be offered extremely low remuneration as there is no relevant experience nor skills. However, if the employee focuses on his existing role and works on his weak areas then there could be an increment in the salary along with perks and bonus.
In conclusion, I believe if change is done in relevant profile then it is beneficial else it would affect the productivity and at the same time tumble the earnings.

shawn18

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
Hyderabad, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-Nov-2018
AOR Received.
29-Nov-2018
IELTS Request
Nov-2018
Med's Done....
29-Nov-2018
Passport Req..
06-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
17-Jun-2019
LANDED..........
07-Sep-2019
May I request experts to please provide feedback so that I can improve. I'm struck in 6.5 since 2 attempts.

Some people think it is more beneficial to play sports that are played in teams, e.g. football. However, some people think it is more beneficial to play individual sports, e.g. tennis and swimming. Discuss about views and give your own opinion.

Sports help individuals to involve physically and mentally, and thereby promote overall health. While some people opine that playing sports in groups is more advantageous, others favor individual sports. This essay discusses both viewpoints and agrees with the latter.

On the one hand, it is believed by some that sports played as teams contribute for the development in a better way because they enable to acquire various skill-set by helping each other. As a result, they promote team-work, discipline and nurture friendship among teammates. Furthermore, experiencing the joy of succeeding as a squad is greater rather than winning individually. For instance, in football even if striker scores, the entire team contributes to create the goal scoring opportunity, and hence they often celebrate the ecstatic moment together. However, I believe that team sports can also effect the relationships adversely, especially when the team loses, and players blame each other for the dreadful performance.

On the other hand, some people feel that individual sports are more helpful for the benefits they offer. The main benefit of an individual sport is that it offers flexibility and freedom for the player to strategize his game plan and implement it. As a result, he can assume complete responsibility of a victory or a defeat and have no one to blame, except himself. Self-confidence and willpower are often more in sport personalities who play Tennis and Badminton because they perform solely on their efforts without relying on others. For this reason, I personally prefer individual sports rather than group sports.

In conclusion, while team sports promote collaboration and develop relationships, individual sports stimulate athlete’s confidence and self-esteem. For this reason, I support individual sports over team sports.

Moeedkh

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

Your local hospital has advertised people to do unpaid work helping at the hospital. You would like to do some work at the hospital in your free time.

Write a letter to the hospital. In your letter

· explain why you would like to do unpaid work at the hospital

· say what type of unpaid work you would be able to do

· give details of when you would be available for this work

Dear Chief Operating Officer,

I am writing this letter to extend my services for the volunteer work you advertised in the local newspaper. I feel it is my duty to do some social work, free of cost, for the welfare of my country and wellbeing of our society.

Since I have been working as finance manager in a multinational company for 20 years of my life, I feel that I can best serve your hospital in the costing department. I have heard that hospitals have a very sophisticated costing deparment and I feel myself best fit for it. I am still working on weekdays, so I can join your hospital over the weekends for as long as you want. This will also help you in releasing employees from duty roster on weekends.

I hope your hospital will give me opportunity to serve for a social cause. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Regards,

AMK

Moeedkh

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement:
High schools should allow students to study the courses that students want to study.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Today, it is not uncommon to observe some elective courses in any Bachelors or Masters degree programe. This has been done to allow students to pursue their desired field of study, providing flexibility in fixed and rigid program structure.Some people argue that course selection should not be allowed at high school level; However, I strongly believe that students should be allowed to take courses pertinent to their area of interest and aptitude, as early as possible.

Some people have got special interest in various subjects of the world, but they do not get opportunity to learn about them in formal environment. Generally, they are asked to study some stereotypical courses which everybody is taking at their school. As a consequence, they are deprived from learning about things that they are curious about and they spend most of their lives reading irrelevant stuff, which is also quite generic. For example, I was always pretty curious about economics. One day, I came across few books of my father on economics and I read them eagerly. I found great interest in reading about GDP or GNP, but unfortunately, I got the opportunity to learn about them formally quite later in my life.

Likewise, some people does not have required aptitude for some subjects. For instance, some people are really bad at mathematics. Its not that they do not want to master it, but they just cannot do it. It is like, they do not have necessary acumen to become good at mathematics, but they are sometimes good in public speaking or other creative fields e.g advertising or sales etc. Students should be allowed to take the courses according to their capablity quite early in their lives. In this way, they can develop and hone their skills in a more effective way over a longer period of time.

To recapitulate, students should be evaluated early on the basis of their aptitude and interest. They should be allowed to take the relevant courses from high school level in order to realize their true potential and provide them with the adequate time to develop themselves.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi everyone,

Cant tell you how happy I am to find this forum. I am currently preparing for my test next month and I am working on my writing skills as they're kinda rusty. Please find my answers below. A detailed feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I am aware of the length where the word count is over the limit but i find it very hard to decide what to take out and what to leave. I could use some help in this part as well

Thank you in advance
Please send only one task per post else it is difficult to review and would be difficult for you also to follow the review

TASK 1
You are studying for a qualification, and you would like some time off work to complete it.

Write a letter to your manager. In your letter:

• Ask for some time off to complete a qualification.
  • Suggest what you will do later at work if you have time off.
  • Say how the qualification helps your job or company.
Dear Mike,
As you know, one of my professional goals is be a certified financial analyst. I have applied to the CFA institute in order to be able to complete the training course and therefore take the test to gain the accreditation. Something went wrong here. What do you want to say?

My application was approved and I am writing this letter to request some time off work so I can prepare for it. You have applied to CFA and application was approved. Do you see any issues with tenses in your two sentences. Are they in agreement?
Okay the idea is clear but I feel like you could have written it much more clearly and cleanly.

This qualification is a high level certificate that provides the financial analyst with the skills and tools needed in order to achieve more accurate analysis and forecast on businesses. If my request is approved I will delegate my current tasks to my colleague Nora, she has offered to help. I will also inform our clients about these changes and will assure them that their portfolios will be taking taken care of during my leave.

See what just happened here? You started with benefits than went to address the second half of the task saying your colleague will fill in for you. AND Again you went back to benefits of course. THIS will mess up your task response in the examiner's eyes. Plus the paragraphing could be better. Take one paragraph for benefits of course and take one paragraph for what will happen in your absence.
It is worth mentioning that this certification will help me build more diversified plans, supporting our clients in their financial objectives, gain more insights about new tools and approaches in the market which would increase our clients trust knowing that our pitch and ideas are coming from a well specialized knowledge and not a general one.
Look here these two lines are just hanging.
That being said, I would really appreciate your approval to this request

Looking forward to hearing from you

Thanks And Regards,
You can do a better job in terms of paragraphing your idea. You had everything in terms of task response but the letter didn't give the feeling of being concise. There were a few minor grammar issues also. You need little fine tuning and you are there!

TASK 2
In many countries, very few young people read newspapers or follow the news on TV. What do you think are the causes of this?

What solutions can you suggest?
As a result of advanced technology, social media and free accessible WI-FI people of the young generation have lost interest in following up with the global and local events. This essay will outline the reasons and provide suggested solutions for the issue.
Sorry if this sounds harsh but this introduction is poor and weak. There is a lot to be desired in terms of introduction.
Both of your sentences .. beginning of first sentence and the whole of second sentence is in the list of sentences not to be used in IELTS. Have you seen this link http://ieltsliz.com/ielts-writing-tips-sentences-to-avoid/

So that's about the sentences. But other than that also the first sentence doesn't make sense. The way it is written shows you believe there is causal and effect relationship between free wifi and people not reading news. Is that justified?

First of all, if we track down the development of technology specially with communication and how it changed the world since the internet (I in Internet is always capital ) discovery followed by more advanced methods to reach, send and receive information. This massive revolution was a game changer for everyone.

As the years go by people started relying on the web to make themselves informed, learn and interact. So this is the curx of your argument and it comes in the third line hidden between two generic line in front. See if you can get this argument line sooner in your essay. Do not trust the examiners to be attentive to your essay and expect them to find your arguments. Give them those in as early in the paragraph as possible. And again if you spend sometime reading some previous reviews that would help.

While older generations still do not feel comfortable enough to switch to new sources of information entirely, younger people are more curious, excited to move forward and try something new. Furthermore, information accessibility has never been easier. Social media applications which were a result of the inventions of smartphones contributed to this detachment. Why would someone pay for a piece of information if they can get it for a lot less and it’s one click away.
I'm actually confused. If you read your introduction. You say younger generation has lost interest in news. Now you are arguing they are getting news on social media and Internet. So have they lost interest or have they changed source of news? What is your argument?
If you do not clear your position in a very logical way that would lead to less score on C&C and task response. Your English is good and no big issues in Grammar but task response needs to be better.

That being said, recommending our youth to go back in time might not be the right way to resolve the issue

but certainly linking the idea to a reward may help to encourage them to learn how to use these traditional sources of information. For instance schools can design more assignments or projects where answers can be only available on newspaper or TV programs, more of these tasks will expose them to different types of news and allow them to learn how to react to these information and how to develop their point of views based on available data.
Again confused. first line says going back to newspapers is like going back in time. And then you give solution on how to do that.

In summary, even though revolutionized technology forced the world including young people to be completely dependent on it in all aspect of their lives, the surrounding environment can offer a room for improvement where those young people can still be offered the chance to learn doing things the in the old fashioned way.
Overall, I would say ... it is very clear you can write well. You have good English. There are no grammar issues. But, you need to spend more time in structuring your ideas and essays. The way you have written your ideas are not consistent and coherent to read. This is easily fixable if you spend time reading good essays and some more time reading some previous reviews.

All the best!

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Can experts please evaluate and provide a detailed feedback.

Task 1
Write a letter to a manager whose company is constructing their new office next to your apartment.
-Introduce yourself.
-describe problems you are facing because of this.
-suggest solutions.

Please send only one task per post.

Dear Sir,
My name is Darshan Modi. I live in apartment no. 26 on Achole road. I am writing this letter to complain about the ongoing construction of your office next to my residence.
The construction work is being done just next to my parking slot due to which a lot of dust is accumulating on my car and hence I have to consistently wash my car. In fact, in last one week I have washed my car more than three times. Also, the noise arising due to the construction activity is making the whole situation more worse. Everyday I am continuously disturbed by the noise of heavy machinery being used.
I think if the new location of the office is shifted bit further to the opposite of the main building entrance then it would resolve both the issues mentioned above. I strongly assert that these problems must be addressed at the earliest. I am also sending a copy of this letter to my society.

Yours Faithfully,
Darshan Modi.
The letter is okay. But I can't see any paragraphing. I don't know whether it is because of copy paste or it was written this way. To be honest it was really difficult to read the way it was pasted. So, unless it was a copy paste error you need to really work on better paragraphing.

Task 2
Some people think it is better to change their career at least once in their life and do different things for jobs. Do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

These days there is a trend among the working professionals where they consistently switch their jobs for multiple reasons. According to some it is argued wrong phrasing that it is beneficial to opt for a different career, whereas I am totally against it and will prove it in the following essay.
There is actually nothing in the introduction. It is weak! Same comments as the review above for introduction. Try reading a few high band essays and see if you can add glimpse of your essay in the introduction.

Firstly, Nothing wrong with this but there is a video posted by hopeandfaith a few pages back and you will see that these constructs firstly, secondly etc. have been used to death by now in IELTS. You will do yourself a favor if you learn a few more things. Nothing wrong in this in terms of English though.

there is no career progression due to change of the job profile. Since an employee will have to start from the ground level it will require dedicated rigorous hardwork to get into the momentum and it will have a tremendous effect on the productivity. For example, if someone from management opts for development and delivery, then it will have a huge impact on the deliverables. However, if the candidate sticks to his current skillset then the existing skills can be enhanced which will boost his career.
On the positive side the idea is very clear to me. the progression is nice and there is no ambiguity so good.

Secondly, the switching of the profile will have an impact on the total pay scale of the employee. Since the job profile is completely irrelevant there will be a huge dip in the earnings as he would lack the essential required skills. I know what you wanted to say but the line is not conveying that. Need better words for the highlighted red.

For instance, if someone from IT field enrolls himself for the banking profile then he will be offered extremely low remuneration as there is no relevant experience nor skills. However, if the employee focuses on his existing role and works on his weak areas then there could be an increment in the salary along with perks and bonus.
Again clear idea but phrasing could be better.

In conclusion, I believe if change is done in relevant profile then it is beneficial else it would affect the productivity and at the same time tumble the earnings.
Conclusion could have been written a bit better. Overall I think at least in terms of task response there is no issues. But you can learn a few more ways of saying things and try to keep your essay "different" from other essays. You also need to write better introductions and conclusions which are very important for good scores.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
May I request experts to please provide feedback so that I can improve. I'm struck in 6.5 since 2 attempts.

Some people think it is more beneficial to play sports that are played in teams, e.g. football. However, some people think it is more beneficial to play individual sports, e.g. tennis and swimming. Discuss about views and give your own opinion.
Sports help individuals to involve physically and mentally, and thereby promote overall health. While some people opine that playing sports in groups is more advantageous, others favor individual sports. This essay discusses both viewpoints and agrees with the latter.
The last line is one of the most used line on IELTS and hence not advisable to use it. Kills your essay in the introduction itself. Do you follow ieltsliz? If not see this link http://ieltsliz.com/ielts-writing-tips-sentences-to-avoid/ . That sentence is literally #1 on the list of sentences not to use on IELTS.

On the one hand, it is believed by some that now you are in body of essay do doesn't matter what others say or think. Now is the time to tell what you think. Avoid these phrases in body if possible.
sports played as teams contribute for the development in a better way because they enable to acquire various skill-set by helping each other. As a result, they promote team-work, discipline and nurture friendship among teammates. Furthermore, experiencing the joy of succeeding as a squad is greater rather than winning individually. For instance, in football even if striker scores, the entire team contributes to create the goal scoring opportunity, and hence they often celebrate the ecstatic moment together. However, I believe that team sports can also effect the relationships adversely, especially when the team loses, and players blame each other for the dreadful performance.
This is what is confusing in the approach. You spent 90% of paragraph talking about virtues of team sport and you have just one line for the contrarian view. And that is actually the opinion you want to deliver. Do you see something wrong with this approach? Let's say I asked you should I buy this mobile. You spend all the time explaining to me all the features and benefits of that mobile and end with one sentence but I think you should not buy it. It kind of felt that way reading that.

Don't get me wrong, it's well written. There are no issues with English or Grammar but the execution is flawed. Your task response seems all over the place. Think about your message and frame your paragraphs to deliver that message.

On the other hand, some people feel that same comment as above individual sports are more helpful for the benefits they offer. This sentence is adding no value. The second sentence could be the first sentence of the paragraph.

The main benefit of an individual sport is that it offers flexibility and freedom for the player to strategize his game plan and implement it. As a result, he can assume complete responsibility of a victory or a defeat and have no one to blame, except himself. Self-confidence and willpower are often more in sport personalities who play Tennis and Badminton because they perform solely on their efforts without relying on others. For this reason, I personally prefer individual sports rather than group sports.
Very well written. This is clear, concise and there is no ambiguity in the message.

In conclusion, while team sports promote collaboration and develop relationships, individual sports stimulate athlete’s confidence and self-esteem. For this reason, I support individual sports over team sports.
My suggestion is that in essays where you can not find enough drawbacks of a position take a balanced approach. So rather than saying individual sports are better because you are not able to really establish why you say that .. take a balanced approach and say they both have their own advantages and then show how both have their own advantages and an individual should pick a sport based on personal choices.

Overall, I think your English and Grammar is good. Your vocab is good enough for IELTS. Your writing in third para shows that you know how to build arguments.
My take is that you got stuck at 6.5 because of Task Response. Make sure there is no ambiguity in terms of your stand on the issue. You can easily score 8+ of you are careful about the task response.

All the best!

Reactions: shawn18

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

Your local hospital has advertised people to do unpaid work helping at the hospital. You would like to do some work at the hospital in your free time.

Write a letter to the hospital. In your letter

· explain why you would like to do unpaid work at the hospital

· say what type of unpaid work you would be able to do

· give details of when you would be available for this work
Dear Chief Operating Officer,

I am writing this letter to extend my services for the volunteer work (good substitution for unpaid work) you advertised in the local newspaper. I feel it is my duty to do some social work, free of cost, for the welfare of my country and wellbeing well being of our society.
Since I have been working as finance manager in a multinational company for 20 years of my life, I feel that I can best serve your hospital in the costing department. I have heard that hospitals have a very sophisticated costing deparment and I feel myself best fit for it. I am still working on weekdays, so I can join your hospital over the weekends for as long as you want. This will also help you in releasing employees from duty roster on weekends.
I hope your hospital will give me opportunity to serve for a social cause. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Regards,

AMK

Good. You should be able to tackle task 1 easily on the test.

shawn18

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
Hyderabad, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-Nov-2018
AOR Received.
29-Nov-2018
IELTS Request
Nov-2018
Med's Done....
29-Nov-2018
Passport Req..
06-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
17-Jun-2019
LANDED..........
07-Sep-2019
My suggestion is that in essays where you can not find enough drawbacks of a position take a balanced approach. So rather than saying individual sports are better because you are not able to really establish why you say that .. take a balanced approach and say they both have their own advantages and then show how both have their own advantages and an individual should pick a sport based on personal choices.

Overall, I think your English and Grammar is good. Your vocab is good enough for IELTS. Your writing in third para shows that you know how to build arguments.
My take is that you got stuck at 6.5 because of Task Response. Make sure there is no ambiguity in terms of your stand on the issue. You can easily score 8+ of you are careful about the task response.

All the best!
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation Cansha. Really appreciate your efforts in helping aspirants. I will try to improve my writing taking your suggestions.

Regarding taking side of Individual sports, even I thought I picked the wrong side by the end of the essay. But the deed has been done. So I modified it and gave some final touches to make-believe Individual sports have more benefits. I gussd it's not convincing enough. Your suggestion on balanced approach in the conclusion is bang on. I will take a note of it in future essays.

I tried my best to Paraphrase but had little scope with the term individual sports. Also, I intentionally didn't force any unnatural vocab into the essay, does it stand a chance of good marks in Lexical resource??

Once again, thank you for your kind support :)

Last edited: