+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to know that's true or not

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi. I'm Vicky from the Philippines and I'd like be enlightened about the LMIA docs and it's processes. I was offered a job in Tim Hortons Calgary AB. I was told that this job was to be processed tru Direct Hire system. They also told me that there's already a positive LMIA. These past few days, I've found out that something's off so me and my other co applicants told them that we will back out and wanted to get our money back., but they insisted that we have to pay them 300 thousand pesos(Philippine peso) as a penalty for backing out and for the LMIA.
Me and my co applicants haven't signed yet any docs and even LMIA.
I just want some clarifications re my situation right now.
I now know that it's fraud so I wanted to clarify and verify if Tims do really issue a LMIA for an expat workers like us in the Phils and do they charge penalty if the applicants like myself back out from accepting the job.
Thanks for anyone who will reply.
Others can comment as well but there is no way in my personal view that Tim Hortons would 1) employ internationally 2)threaten anyone with a fine for not following through.

Genuine employers are responsible for paying for the whole LMIA process including application and any advertising. They take the risk the applicant will follow through which is why generally employers are not that keen to offer an LMIA unless someone has unique skills not readily available in Canada, unlikely with a Tim Hortons job where just about every student on a study permit is likely lining up for any vacancy.

Having said above nobody here of course can speculate on anything you might have signed with anyone in the Philippines other than Tim Hortons such as an agent that committed you to something legal in the Philippines.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=163&top=17

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/got-a-job-offer-from-tim-horton-through-an-agent.325802/

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks a lot for your critical insights.
Appreciate it.
Note an LMIA costs a company 1000 CDN plus advertising costs so without converting the figure quoted in the post sounds excessive and more than likely as a guess is some agent executing some sort of scam. Maybe should ask for contact details of the ‘Tim Hortons’ they are referring to and post them here for other forum members to comment on either due to fake email addresses, fake clone website or fake phone numbers.

Last edited:

Abeck

May 24, 2019
That's what I thought so too.
I've been doing some research about the different processes and I've come to realize that it is indeed a SCAM.
Unfortunately, almost everyone from the group has already paid the "processing fee".
Some of us paid 50k pesos so , that's roughly $1300 CND for the processing fee and other outside expenses
Now, the Coordinator and the agent here is threatening us that if we're going to back out, will be paying roughly $1700 CND for the penalty of backing out.
The reason as to why they're asking for 1700 CND is because "that's the total cost of LMIA that they have processed.
It's totally ridiculous!

Abeck

May 24, 2019
That's what I thought so too.
I've been doing some research about the different processes and I've come to realize that it is indeed a SCAM.
Unfortunately, almost everyone from the group has already paid the "processing fee".
Some of us paid 50k pesos so , that's roughly $1300 CND for the processing fee and other outside expenses
Now, the Coordinator and the agent here is threatening us that if we're going to back out, will be paying roughly $1700 CND for the penalty of backing out.
The reason as to why they're asking for $7736.98 CND is because "that's the total cost of LMIA that they have processed.
It's totally ridiculous!

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Wow that's a lot of money. It is a scam. Tim Hortons will not hire internationally. The LMIA is for them to make sure that no other Canadian can do the job. To be brutally honest, it's a fast food place. The jobs are in no way specialized and everybody in Canada could do them. Unfortunately the people that paid will never get their money back. A harsh lesson learned indeed. Don't let the desire to come to Canada cloud your judgement.