+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

i live in buffalo and i applied for asylum 5 years ago

Fawazo

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
^^^
I don't see your point.
Are you saying that people who cross the border irregularly are bad people?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Nope. The issue is Canadians opinions on irregular boarder crossings. I doubt Canadians will ever turn their backs on genuine refugees, but the recent influx of irregular crossing has Canadians concerned about those who aren’t genuine refugees circumventing the system. Has nothing to do with “bad” people, but with a program that has too many holes in it and people capitalizing on that. If the liberals don’t get re-elected, expect the conservatives to come down hard on the refugee program

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
^^^^
Text book case of self-rightiousness
It would be “ self righteousness “

Canadians like to see that rules are followed, and that genuine individuals in need are taken care of ,not using the refugee program in order for economic gain

Last edited:

Fawazo

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
I don't think anyone "capitalizes" on being refugee .
Although, I do agree with you.
Through my journey of being refugee, I noticed a majority of Haitians and Nigerians racking up all social aid possible without the intention of working. They know they are gonna get rejected so to them it's a paid for vacation . Not saying all of them, but a big populationof em from my experience.
I myself came irregularly, because it was the only way. But that means nothing since I've contributed into the Canadian tax system so far way more than some Canadian born people .
OP is saying he wants to work and provide for his family, and sounds like a genuine enough refugee. What difference does it make how he gets in?

By the way these candian people their opinions youre so concerned about, how did they come to Canada you think? The indiginoin government sent them invitations? They came on a boat "irregularly" and started a life for themselves .
Wanna work and contribute? Come thru. That should be the attitude

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Wow.
You keep enriching this dialogue with your very intellectual input.
Thanks man
No problem what so ever

Here’s a definition of the word refugee from the UNCHR
( more enrichment)
Who is a refugee?

A refugee is someone who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war or violence. A refugee has a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. Most likely, they cannot return home or are afraid to do so. War and ethnic, tribal and religious violence are leading causes of refugees fleeing their countries.

Looking for options on supporting ones family isn’t mentioned there , but by all means , correct me if I’m wrong .

Oh, since you asked my ancestors came in 1830, and received nothing from the government, or whatever form of government there was at that time , since it was prior to confederation

Reactions: Bitema

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your correct that a refugee should be allowed to enter by any means. But as you’ve just pointed out, many of those doing so now are not refugees, but economic migrants. Most of these are people who don’t qualify as regular economic migrants, so this is their only option. Do I blame them for taking advantage of a loophole in the system.....nope. That’s what people do.....take advantage of available tools to their advantage. It’s human nature. Should there be an economic path for less qualified migrants....probably. But unless it becomes a priority to which ever government is in power, it’s unlikely to make the agenda.

The problem being that the general population isn’t happy with the current system, and certain groups (political or otherwise) will capitalize on those sentiments to change policy and the laws governing them. UN convention does not supercede national law. All it takes is a political agenda and a majority government to revise legislation and the whole landscape for refugees changes. The US is a perfect example of how a underlying concern can come to the forefront and change the political landscape drastically (and not necessarily for the good).

Your tax contributions are appreciated, but the argument is mute. Most everyone in Canada pays taxes. It’s the price of admission.

I won’t make excuses (or apologies) for the europeans who came to N. America 400+ years ago, nor the politics or attitudes of the time. That’s how things were then and I have no influence over that. Again, it’s human nature to overthrow the weak when there are gains to be made. It still happens today. And you yourself, as a migrant to Canada are as guilty as those before you who made those claims (invaded) against the FN 400+ years ago. I doubt you got an invite or approval from them since you arrived.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bitema

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Was looking back at posts to see the context of a question. As many pointed out the climate has changed and if you have an open asylum case in the US you will likely be refused now so remain in the US. Some people got lucky and entered before the rules changed.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Rahim khan

Mar 10, 2019
london
Category........
VISIT
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
This new rules effect for people who enter in March and claim for refugee or not effect ?

Rahim khan

Mar 10, 2019
london
Category........
VISIT
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
This new rules effect for people who enter in March and claim for refugee or not effect ?

Rahim khan

Mar 10, 2019
london
Category........
VISIT
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes