+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

i live in buffalo and i applied for asylum 5 years ago

abubakker549

Oct 22, 2018
i live in buffalo with my wife and 3 kids 2 of them are under 18 and one is 19 and i applied for asylum 5 years ago and i have valid id, work permit and social security but they dont, i talked to lawyer and he dont even know whats going on, its been like almost 7 months they have got their work permit so i reapplied and still didn't got it. So right now im the only person works in the family and its really tough to survive in here so thats why i wanna move to canada. can you help me what do i have to do in order to move to Canada or immigrate to canada, i will literally do anything to move there. I know how to work and i live in buffalo so its like not very far to go to canada. PLEASE I NEED YOUR SUGGESTION! THANKS <3

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
i live in buffalo with my wife and 3 kids 2 of them are under 18 and one is 19 and i applied for asylum 5 years ago and i have valid id, work permit and social security but they dont, i talked to lawyer and he dont even know whats going on, its been like almost 7 months they have got their work permit so i reapplied and still didn't got it. So right now im the only person works in the family and its really tough to survive in here so thats why i wanna move to canada. can you help me what do i have to do in order to move to Canada or immigrate to canada, i will literally do anything to move there. I know how to work and i live in buffalo so its like not very far to go to canada. PLEASE I NEED YOUR SUGGESTION! THANKS <3
The best suggestion is to not try to go to Canada and claim asylum there. It's probably doomed to fail, given your current status in the US.
Your best bet is to see if you are eligible for permanent residence via one of the official economic immigration programs.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool-immigration-express-entry.html

Fawazo

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
The best suggestion is to not try to go to Canada and claim asylum there. It's probably doomed to fail, given your current status in the US.
Your best bet is to see if you are eligible for permanent residence via one of the official economic immigration programs.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool-immigration-express-entry.html
That's false

I lived as an asylum seeker in the states for 3 years before I moved to Canada and got recognized as protected person.
Living the dream up here in BC

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's false

I lived as an asylum seeker in the states for 3 years before I moved to Canada and got recognized as protected person.
Living the dream up here in BC
Times have changed now that 30k asylum seekers have walked over to Canada avoiding the border posts. If you have been refused asylum in the US would be a bit different. You actually have a work permit so expect your case will be refused. Not sure about you family. You are likely better to stay together in the US and see what happens. You may end up separated from your family. Have you contacted an immigration attorney that will give you upfront advice not just encourage you to file asylum so they can make money off of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bitema

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
You actually have a work permit so expect your case will be refused.
What's this supposed to mean?!! Are you saying that asylum seekers whose work permits were approved would eventually receive negative decisions on their cases?! Doesn't make any sense!

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
What's this supposed to mean?!! Are you saying that asylum seekers whose work permits were approved would eventually receive negative decisions on their cases?! Doesn't make any sense!
If you have a valid US work permit , it shows that you can claim asylum in the US and not Canada. Especially if you have worked in the states for a number of years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It means that asylum is meant for people under persecution who are seeking the first safe place to live. You have been living in the US for many years and on top of that you are legally able to work. Canadians and the Canadian government seemed to be more accepting US asylum seekers a few years go, they are now less tolerant of people not even trying to finish the asylum process in the US when it does seem like you have had positive signs like have a work permit.

Fawazo

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
I had a work permit in the states and a job that paid me a lot more than any job I had in Canada. It not about finances.
My case was pending for years, I got sick of the uncertainty and took a chance at Canada.

OP where are you from?

Here's my advice plain and simple.

If you are from a country that has the right to expedite their refugee case in Canada. Then it is worth it. Canada's economy is not as robust as America's and opportunities are not the same. But you can lead a nice stress free life in Canada.

However, if you're not from a country that'll get expedited processing, then stay where you are because you'll face the same destiny here as the states minus the better economy and opportunities.

People are waiting years for a hearing you'll end up in the same spot as you're in America

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
I don't see even a slight advantage for claimants from expedited countries other than being exempted from attending a hearing. Whether being from an expedited country or not would roughly take similar processing time for a decision to be made.

Would love to hear if someone had an exceptional faster waiting time.

Fawazo

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
I don't see even a slight advantage for claimants from expedited countries other than being exempted from attending a hearing. Whether being from an expedited country or not would roughly take similar processing time for a decision to be made.

Would love to hear if someone had an exceptional faster waiting time.
What?
It makes all the difference in the world.
Instead of it taking me at least 2 years to get a hearing then maybe half year afterwards to get a decision. The whole process took me, since the day I sat foot in Canada, about 6 months.
Came in July got notice of decision in December

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
What?
It makes all the difference in the world.
Instead of it taking me at least 2 years to get a hearing then maybe half year afterwards to get a decision. The whole process took me, since the day I sat foot in Canada, about 6 months.
Came in July got notice of decision in December
It's quite confusing trying to understand how the process works. I've heard of claimants from expedited countries waiting for 1.5+ years for a decision. Others were asked to show up for hearings even though the policy clearly states otherwise!

Your case's decision was made without a hearing? Truly hope my case would go as smooth as yours!

Fawazo

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
It's quite confusing trying to understand how the process works. I've heard of claimants from expedited countries waiting for 1.5+ years for a decision. Others were asked to show up for hearings even though the policy clearly states otherwise!

Your case's decision was made without a hearing? Truly hope my case would go as smooth as yours!
I hope so too buddy. It's a burden no one should have.

If you were accepted for expedited process then you don't do a hearing.

I called them a lot and kept pressuring them. I even made friends with an IRB employee until they paid attention to my case.
It wasn't an easy fight.
Maybe mixed with luck who know.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I hope so too buddy. It's a burden no one should have.

If you were accepted for expedited process then you don't do a hearing.

I called them a lot and kept pressuring them. I even made friends with an IRB employee until they paid attention to my case.
It wasn't an easy fight.
Maybe mixed with luck who know.
Things have changed since you applied. There is no longer expedited hearings. Assume you walked across the border. You did so before the whole system became so overwhelmed they got rid of expedited processing. You also entered before the large wave of irregular crossers which that has lead to more concerns from the Canadian population and more pressure to send people back to the US or deport people to their home country.