+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have a full time job. What are my options after PGWP expires?

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
Hey guys, just wanted to provide an update here - I received a positive LMIA from my company and using that I was able to get ITA. We received COPR day before yesterday. Thanks to all who responded and good luck to those who are in the middle of the process. Cheers.

sunil.kaps

May 14, 2019
Hey guys, just wanted to provide an update here - I received a positive LMIA from my company and using that I was able to get ITA. We received COPR day before yesterday. Thanks to all who responded and good luck to those who are in the middle of the process. Cheers.
Hey brother good to hear that you got your LMIA. Was it hard for your company to get LMIY for you? i saw your posts from 2018, what did you do after your PGWP was expired?

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
Hi Sunil, LMIA is always a tough process and a one that most companies won`t accommodate because it is lengthy and costly. Let's say if you pay it out of your pocket, it is still very hard because a company has to submit all of its financial documents which can be cumbersome. So, good luck with that. Also, make sure to engage an immigration consultant who can submit the LMIA profile. If you or your company does it on their own, one mistake and it will be refused so find someone who has done such applications before.

After my PGWP expired, I stopped working right away. I stayed in Canada because you have 90 days after your PGWP expires to renew your status but without the LMIA, its not possible to renew it and my process for LMIA would not be completed within 90 days so we wind up all and left Canada. In March, I received a positive LMIA so I got a new work permit. A positive LMIA also increased my express entry score by 50 points so I was able to get ITA and therefore PR.

Writing this from my desk at work in this beautiful country we call home now - CANADA

All the best and feel free to ask more questions if you have doubts. I will try to answer them when I can. Cheers.

sunil.kaps

May 14, 2019
Hi Sunil, LMIA is always a tough process and a one that most companies won`t accommodate because it is lengthy and costly. Let's say if you pay it out of your pocket, it is still very hard because a company has to submit all of its financial documents which can be cumbersome. So, good luck with that. Also, make sure to engage an immigration consultant who can submit the LMIA profile. If you or your company does it on their own, one mistake and it will be refused so find someone who has done such applications before.

After my PGWP expired, I stopped working right away. I stayed in Canada because you have 90 days after your PGWP expires to renew your status but without the LMIA, its not possible to renew it and my process for LMIA would not be completed within 90 days so we wind up all and left Canada. In March, I received a positive LMIA so I got a new work permit. A positive LMIA also increased my express entry score by 50 points so I was able to get ITA and therefore PR.

Writing this from my desk at work in this beautiful country we call home now - CANADA

All the best and feel free to ask more questions if you have doubts. I will try to answer them when I can. Cheers.
Hello Dear,

thank you very much brother for the information, you seems to be true WARRIOR :) ...Best Luck

stephen_hoang

Feb 18, 2020

Hi there,

How long is the duration of your new work permit ? Is that 1 year or more ?

Last edited:

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
Hi there,

How long is the duration of your new work permit ? Is that 1 year or more ?
2 Years for LMIA but because LMIA increases express entry points by 50. I received ITA and then PR within 6 months so the LMIA or the two years of work permit is irrelevant if you managed to get PR. All the best.

stephen_hoang

Feb 18, 2020
2 Years for LMIA but because LMIA increases express entry points by 50. I received ITA and then PR within 6 months so the LMIA or the two years of work permit is irrelevant if you managed to get PR. All the best.
Thank you for your information. I also need to apply for LMIA to extend my stay in Canada. But my case is not simple as yours since I am living in Quebec. LMIA doesnt help at all.

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
Thank you for your information. I also need to apply for LMIA to extend my stay in Canada. But my case is not simple as yours since I am living in Quebec. LMIA doesnt help at all.

So what will you do then? I have heard that it is actually easier getting PR in Quebec assuming one has adequate knowledge of both official languages.

stephen_hoang

Feb 18, 2020
You are right that getting PR is easier in Quebec if people know both French and English. But it is much more difficult for a person without an advanced level of French and it is my situation now. Now what I need to do is extend the work permit for 2 years more (hopefully I will get it) and study French to a required level. The problem for Quebec residents is that we cannot apply for the Express Entry program if we cannot convince that we will leave Quebec.

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
You are right that getting PR is easier in Quebec if people know both French and English. But it is much more difficult for a person without an advanced level of French and it is my situation now. Now what I need to do is extend the work permit for 2 years more (hopefully I will get it) and study French to a required level. The problem for Quebec residents is that we cannot apply for the Express Entry program if we cannot convince that we will leave Quebec.

What kind of work permit do you have? I am not sure if Quebec has PGWP. And would it be possible to extend the WP without LMIA (or Quebec equivalent of LMIA)?

stephen_hoang

Feb 18, 2020
I am working under PGWP but it will be expired within a year. I need to apply for a close work permit, which requires a positive LMIA.

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
I am working under PGWP but it will be expired within a year. I need to apply for a close work permit, which requires a positive LMIA.
That is correct. Unfortunately, no way to extend the WP without a positive LMIA. I`d suggest to start the processes as soon as possible. It took me about 8.5 months to get results on my LMIA. I`d also recommend hiring an immigration consultant as an intermediary between yourself and your employer. All these will only happen of course if your employer is willing to go down this scary and tedious road.

stephen_hoang

Feb 18, 2020
Thank you for your information. 8.5months is too long. Is this possible that we can continue to work while waiting for the LMIA decision?
Regarding my WP, I have notified our HR and they are working with an attorney consultant to figure out what to do. I haven't received any feedback from them yet. I may push them hard to get my application done as soon as possible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your information. 8.5months is too long. Is this possible that we can continue to work while waiting for the LMIA decision?
Regarding my WP, I have notified our HR and they are working with an attorney consultant to figure out what to do. I haven't received any feedback from them yet. I may push them hard to get my application done as soon as possible.
No, you cannot continue working while you wait for the LMIA decision.