+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have a full time job. What are my options after PGWP expires?

rapirap

Sep 8, 2020
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. Please see my answers below but also keep in mind this information is the best of my knowledge.

1. My employer applied for the regular LMIA in May 2018 and back then I think the job posting requirement was for one month. I had an immigration consultant who coordinated the entire process with me and my employer. 95%+ work was done by the employer in this case. I received a positive LMIA in Feb 2019.

2. I stayed in Canada 89 days after my PGWP expired (you could stay up to 90 days. not 91 remember they are strict) so I flew back to India and continue working from my home for the same employer. (yes I am lucky in that sense and a lot of that depends on your relations with your employer)

3. I am still working for the same employer however, after receiving my LMIA, it increased my CRS score by 50 points which enabled me to receive ITA on my express entry profile and in Nov 2019 I received my PR. so although I still have active LMIA (2 years validity), because of PR, I can work anywhere in Canada.

4. If your employer moves ahead with another candidate, your LMIA is no longer valid and they are legally required to inform IRCC and basically, that would mean you cannot use LMIA to apply for PR or VISA to enter Canada. (I hope that doesn`t happen in your case)

Keep in mind that a lawyer or immigration consultant or even your local MP/Mayor cannot do anything in terms of the actual results of your profile. Registered Immigration Consultant however can help you and your employer with the entire process because there is a lot of paperwork. Plus in your company, few departments will have to work on this. HR, Legal, Finance at least. LMIA process will require your company to show most of their confidential financial details. This in fact will require your legal dept. to create an NDA agreement that will have to be signed by your immigration consultant.

All the best and feel free to ask any other question you may have but try to be as specific as you can. Cheers.
I really appreciate your reply. I am now chatting with my boss and telling him about the process so he knows what's involved and if it's something he'd like to go through. I have a couple more questions for you, I promise these are the last:

1. Is it okay to ask who your immigration consultant is? I need someone trustworthy if ever my boss decides to go through it.

2. What was you EE score when you got the ITA? I'm currently, sitting at 429 but with my bachelor's assessed soon, I think I can make 450. Also applied for a validated job offer which is +50 points but really slim chance of getting it.

Thank you. You were very lucky with your employer who was willing to get an LMIA for you and let you work remotely. My boss is very kind too but we are a small company and he might not go as far as yours went. Hoping for you reply. Thank you.

Adeeb H

May 15, 2020
Canada
Hello brother, I am on the same boat as you were couple years ago. I studied here in a 2 year diploma. Currently working in the same NOC B(2282) as a support tech. I wanted to know how were you able to convince your employer for the LMIA because I don't see me getting ITA through CEC, since now the threshold is plus 470 at all times. Any suggestion would be helpful. I am also willing to relocate in any part of Canada if there is a PNP that would give me an ITA. I still have 2 years left on my PGWP.

Also, were you working in Ontario for the company who gave you LMIA? Thank you

Last edited:

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
I really appreciate your reply. I am now chatting with my boss and telling him about the process so he knows what's involved and if it's something he'd like to go through. I have a couple more questions for you, I promise these are the last:

1. Is it okay to ask who your immigration consultant is? I need someone trustworthy if ever my boss decides to go through it.

2. What was you EE score when you got the ITA? I'm currently, sitting at 429 but with my bachelor's assessed soon, I think I can make 450. Also applied for a validated job offer which is +50 points but really slim chance of getting it.

Thank you. You were very lucky with your employer who was willing to get an LMIA for you and let you work remotely. My boss is very kind too but we are a small company and he might not go as far as yours went. Hoping for you reply. Thank you.
Hi there,

My apologies for the late response. Past months have been super busy at work. Please see my answers below -

1. My immigration consultant was IP Immigration Pros inc. They are based in Toronto. Galo Castillo was my case officer at IP Immigration Pros Inc. and he did a wonderful job. He will not deal with you directly as there will be a mediator but he is the one who will check and file your LMIA.

2. My EE was 488 when I received an ITA. the cut-off was 478 I believe. The positive LMIA increased my CRS by 50 points and as soon as I updated this information in my EE profile, the next day I received an ITA.

Did you talk to your supervisor? I hope all is going well and I pray for you. Best wishes.

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
Hello brother, I am on the same boat as you were couple years ago. I studied here in a 2 year diploma. Currently working in the same NOC B(2282) as a support tech. I wanted to know how were you able to convince your employer for the LMIA because I don't see me getting ITA through CEC, since now the threshold is plus 470 at all times. Any suggestion would be helpful. I am also willing to relocate in any part of Canada if there is a PNP that would give me an ITA. I still have 2 years left on my PGWP.

Also, were you working in Ontario for the company who gave you LMIA? Thank you
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. I can understand how stressful these situations can be but knowing that you`re not alone in the tide helps a bit.

I was working for an employer in Ontario during my LMIA application process. Two points I`d like to mention here - you have two years on your PGWP so the good thing is that you have time. Not a lot but you have enough time to get the ball rolling.

Second, How do you convince your employer to apply for LMIA? - ask yourself these two questions. Are you an asset to your company/team? Do you have excellent relationships with the management? If YES for both questions, you can just approach them with your situation and they will help out. If NO to either question, please start working on it so you can approach them in near future. There is no other way.

The reality is that for any company and especially for NOC 2282, there are thousands of people out there with similar (sometimes better) skillsets so the only thing that can set you apart is your relations with the people you work with. It is far easier for the company to let you go and just hire a new person when you think about all the documents and paperwork involved with the LMIA process.

All the best mate.

Dec 31, 2020

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,

I was doing some research and found this Bridging Open Work Permit For Permanent Resident Applicants
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html
The description was just: "A bridging open work permit (BOWP) lets you keep working while you wait for the results of your permanent residence application."
In this case, must we also provide LMIA to obtain this BOWP?
Do you have an ITA? Or AOR?

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
Hi all,

I was doing some research and found this Bridging Open Work Permit For Permanent Resident Applicants
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html
The description was just: "A bridging open work permit (BOWP) lets you keep working while you wait for the results of your permanent residence application."
In this case, must we also provide LMIA to obtain this BOWP?
Bridging Open Work Permit only works in your case if you have received an ITA and already applied for the PR (and awaiting the final approval). So let us say your PGWP is about to expire in 3 months and you have already applied for the PR (applying for the PR is not the same as creating an EE profile. Applying implies you have received an ITA and have submitted your documents). Now, PR generally takes 6 or more months so in order for you to continue to work after your PGWP expires and while you await a decision on the PR, this is when you can apply for BOWP.

Hope this clarifies.

Sssanappa

May 17, 2021
Hy is that possible a person can get only 6months PgWP after 2 years of study because I get only 6months pgwp please let me know what else I have to do to extend this permit.

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
Hy is that possible a person can get only 6months PgWP after 2 years of study because I get only 6months pgwp please let me know what else I have to do to extend this permit.
The only reason I can think of is your passport`s validity. PGWP`s validity cannot be more than the validity of your passport. To my knowledge, there is no other reason as to why someone would receive only 6 months PGWP after completing 2 years of full-time studies.

Unfortunately, PGWPs cannot be extended. Your option is to apply for a PR before your PGWP expires or get an LMIA. To be honest and realistic, 6 months is not enough time for either process.

If you can tell us some more details about your case, I may have more insight/options.

Sssanappa

May 17, 2021
My passport expires in June 2028 and I contact my lawyer from whom I applied pgwp she told me cic did some mistake we will contact them soon for your case.

Sssanappa

May 17, 2021
Is this possible that if CIC made a mistake they will correct that my lawyer told me you should bet 3years pgwp I will email CIC about this issue.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is this possible that if CIC made a mistake they will correct that my lawyer told me you should bet 3years pgwp I will email CIC about this issue.
Did you do a two year program? Or two separate programs? You have a lawyer talk to them as you are paying them for the work.

Sssanappa

May 17, 2021
I have done two year program with 3 months official break and I studied in a government college. Do you think it’s CIC mistake or not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have done two year program with 3 months official break and I studied in a government college. Do you think it’s CIC mistake or not.
Maybe something to do with your conditional discharge?