+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I came to Canada illegally as a child. Looking for any possible option to become a legal resident.

Apr 11, 2018
- Didn't university ask you for proof of permanent residency? I went to university myself here and that's the first thing they asked me for. How did you manage to stay in after applying without proof of PR?

Since you are in university and If I were in your case, I would try to complete a bachelor degree that leads to PR (skilled worker). And by the time you are in your last year in school, you can apply for PR based on your schooling. This is of course if you don't get anything better with the lawyer.

Keep a clean criminal record.

Also, look for information on "dreamers in Canada." Obviously as it related to immigration. You belong to that group of children.

According to this article, many in your case claim refugee status:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/canadian-dreamers-york-university-1.4488252

That's a good start for you!
No, my uni hasn't asked for any proof of permanent residency which I also found weird. Thank you very much for the advice and article, I'll definitely take it into consideration.

Apr 11, 2018
Am I the only one that is concerned that he committed fraud with the university, as an adult? I, too, am surprised that the university didn't ask for COPR or PR card for verification, although if he entered with high school transcripts perhaps they accepted the assumption. Strange that the grade school and high school didn't catch it. When my son started grade school, I had to show them his landing document to prove he was a resident.
I know what I'm doing is fraud, but it wasn't necessarily my choice to make (both my mother and our former lawyer told me to apply as a permanent resident even though I didn't agree). Of course, I understand I also hold responsibility in this as I was the one who ultimately made the application but I'd gladly take on the extra tuition as a foreign student if it meant becoming legal. I'm even ok with being expelled if that's what it takes.

All I know is that when I came back in grade 8, I had to wait 6 months before being able to attend school. Other than that neither I nor my parents have had to show any proof as far as I'm aware.

Apr 11, 2018
I know someone who was living here for almost 15 years before they became PR and now citizen. The best suggestion is to speak with an immigration lawyer.

I’m also in university in Toronto, I can’t remember if they actually checked my PR however it’s illegal to study without a study permit. And you could potentially be sabataging yourself by committing fraud. Like the above person said, you’re an adult, your parents won’t get blamed you will.

Now you mentioned a lawyer, what is that lawyer doing? Was it just a consultation for university? What proper lawyer would advice you to lie about your immigration status?

I don’t know if immigration lawyers do pro bono cases but check. Best advice... you need a lawyer.
The lawyer was originally my father's lawyer in his DUI case but he agreed to help us with our immigration status. He basically wasted our time for around a year or two, as all he did was make me fill out a permanent resident card application. It took months for the application to return and tell me that you need to be a permanent resident to apply for a card. That's when I knew my lawyer was either incompetent in regards to immigration, milking us for money, or some combination of the two. He also went through my university application and approved of it. Safe to say that man was greasy.

Apr 11, 2018
Likely because of his long history in Canada and the fact that he is a native english speaker, they just assumed.

And yes, there is clearly fraud here. Likely there is fraud in a number of places throughout the OP's history - but now the OP is an adult. This is going to be a messy case and a (good) lawyer is strongly recommended.
Yeah my situation sucks right now. Do you happen to know any good immigration lawyers in Toronto by chance?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know what I'm doing is fraud, but it wasn't necessarily my choice to make (both my mother and our former lawyer told me to apply as a permanent resident even though I didn't agree). Of course, I understand I also hold responsibility in this as I was the one who ultimately made the application but I'd gladly take on the extra tuition as a foreign student if it meant becoming legal. I'm even ok with being expelled if that's what it takes.
If it ever comes to discussing this with CIC - recommend you take full responsibility for your actions regarding your university situation.

As you said, you submitted the application - so it was your choice and ultimately your decision to misrepresent your status. You're an adult and you knew it was wrong. CIC tends to get cranky when people blame others for their actions. You can say you were poorly guided by the immigration consultant. But take full responsibility for the university application and fraud.

Apr 11, 2018
As for the OP's situation, as other members have suggested - consulting a lawyer is probably the right thing to do at this point. Probably makes sense to start preparing a plan B as well assuming worst case scenario.
Thank you for your replies, and by plan B do you mean in case there is no way for me to become a legal immigrant? Because I honestly have absolutely no idea what I would do at that point.

Apr 11, 2018
It's very hard living in Canada without status. I'm surprised the OP's family can survive for that long. I mean what happens if you want to see a doctor? Just pay everything upfront? It's not like in the states you can buy health coverage as long as you have the money. They don't care if you're legal or not. And then there's the schools/universities asking for your status... I remember my daughter's elementary school asked for her Canadian birth certificate for sure..
I go to a free clinic and we're covered by my father's insurance. But you're right, any medical expenses, such as going to a hospital, are rather expensive. I once dislocated my knee and the ambulance trip, morphine and the couple of hours that I was on the bed before they popped my knee back into place cost us in the thousands I believe. My parents were definitely not happy about that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your replies, and by plan B do you mean in case there is no way for me to become a legal immigrant? Because I honestly have absolutely no idea what I would do at that point.
Yes - that's what Plan B means. What would you do if you had to return to your home country?

It's possible there may be no path for you to legal immigration. Also possible that IRCC may catch up with you and remove you. You should have a plan in place for what you would do should you be forced to leave Canada.

Apr 11, 2018
There is certainly more to this story.
No this is pretty much it. Of course, there could be more going on behind the scenes with my parents that i'm not aware of but honestly I could care less about what they do. I just want to become a legal resident, if they want to make stupid choices then that's on them.

Apr 11, 2018
I'm on the fence about this. Normally I would say there's a decent chance. I think the fact the OP has lied about his status to enroll in university may be a complication.
I agree, this was obviously a terrible choice in hindsight. Do you think that dropping out of uni could uncomplicate it, or has the damage already been done.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree, this was obviously a terrible choice in hindsight. Do you think that dropping out of uni could uncomplicate it, or has the damage already been done.
It depends what you are going to do. If you are going to try to apply for PR under H&C - then I would stop studying given you're in school illegally under misrepresented status. That's your only path to legalizing your status in Canada that I can see.

Reactions: TheDunkMaster69
Apr 11, 2018
It depends what you are going to do. If you are going to try to apply for PR under H&C - then I would stop studying given you're in school illegally under misrepresented status. That's your only path to legalizing your status in Canada that I can see.
Well I'll consult a lawyer and see what they think is the best option for me. If H&C is my only choice then I'll drop out of uni.

Thank you for the advice I appreciate it.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Yes - that's what Plan B means. What would you do if you had to return to your home country?

It's possible there may be no path for you to legal immigration. Also possible that IRCC may catch up with you and remove you. You should have a plan in place for what you would do should you be forced to leave Canada.
Agree, as much as the OP would hate leaving, that is a possibility if the application under H&C doesn't succeed.

@ OP : Its much better to do some research, get informed and come up with a plan of what you will do if you had to return back to your country than to be forced to leave and not to have a plan.

You may be thinking that Canada is your one and only option, but the moment you shift your mindset and start looking at other potential options, you'll realize there could be an option b, c, d...etc. I understand you are a citizen of Portugal, if you don't necessarily want to live in Portugal - what about completing your studies in another EU country that may provide free tuition/or low tuition for EU citizens for example - have you thought about it?

Try to correct your status in Canada through a lawyer but in the meantime understand your other options, at the end either A or B...you'll should be able to make a plan that works for you...but continuing without status is definitely not the best choice.

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Do guys have to be so hard on him he is 20,could you imagine he has no one to depend on emotionally I guess his parents support him financially got knows where they get the money from because his dad is the only working yes he made stupid decisions but he’s parents was his role model. I wonder if he even knew he wasn’t landing in the beginning he’s parents probably was the ones who sign him up for high school,do you know the amount of people in same situation as him families coming to Canada to make a better life they didn’t come across from the border so instead of judging him give some advice that’s all he asked for.I know he is an adult When he turn 18 but he has so much to experience in life I have kids older than him and I will do anything for them that’s legal.So stop be so judgemental and offer some advice because no one is perfect we all have something we regret in live unless you god so some us needs stop pretending like are perfect.

Reactions: TheDunkMaster69