+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I came to Canada illegally as a child. Looking for any possible option to become a legal resident.

Apr 11, 2018
Let me start by providing any relevant information that might impact my options. I am a 20 year old white male currently living in Toronto. I originally came here from Portugal when I was 2 years old, left Canada to go back to Portugal when I was around 10, moved to Germany and then moved back to Canada when I was around 13 years old. I have been living here in Toronto ever since. I believe my parents and I came here as visitors and then overstayed both times. I have one brother who was born here, so he is a Canadian citizen.

English is my primary language, I've attended school since kindergarten until around grade 5 I believe, and then resumed school from grade 8. I graduated from high school 2 years ago and am currently in my first year in university after applying as a permanent resident (I know I know, both my mother and our lawyer told me to apply as a permanent resident even though I didnt agree with it)

The reason why I've come to this forum is because I am completely fed up with my parents for both choosing to come here illegally and completely screwing up every opportunity they've had to make me and themselves legal immigrants. My father has had multiple work contracts lined up for him, but he would constantly get drunk and get fired from work. He was also recently caught drinking and driving and has had his licence revoked but did not get criminally charged, or something along those lines. My mother's about as smart as a door knob and was the one to suggest my dad's lawyer be the one to handle our immigration issue. All he managed to do was get us to fill out an application for a permanent resident card and waste nearly 2 years of our time. My mother has no sense of urgency in regards to this, and honestly doesn't care about my situation.

Basically, both of my parents are incompetent idiots and I'm looking for any possible way to become a legal immigrant by myself. This situation causes me an ungodly amount of stress and is seriously setting me back in life, as I can't get a job and do the things I want to do. I've lived here practically my whole life, and I identify myself as a Canadian, yet I'm afforded none of the benefits of being one. All of this stemming from the stupid decisions my parents made.

Sorry for the long text, but I'd appreciate it so much if anyone here could give me advice or options on what to do with my situation. I'll even take advice that involves my parents as I'm just desperate for any kind of solution.

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Are your parents rich?

I’m just wondering how your family stayed afloat after all those years illegally in Toronto?

Do you even posses a healthcard?

If you came in as tourists and didn’t signed any immigration documents when you where young (parents), best chance you’ll get is apply for permanent residency. All these ramblings of mine are based on common sense.

Reactions: tracey321
Apr 11, 2018
Are your parents rich?

I’m just wondering how your family stayed afloat after all those years illegally in Toronto?

Do you even posses a healthcard?

If you came in as tourists and didn’t signed any immigration documents when you where young (parents), best chance you’ll get is apply for permanent residency. All these ramblings of mine are based on common sense.
My parents are not rich, my father works as a construction worker (stereotypical I know) and my mother just stays at home. We rent a house. I'd say we do reasonably well, we're probably around middle class.

No I do not possess a health card which is another issue, as I can't pursue the sports and hobbies I want to do to fear of getting injured and billed out the ass.

I'm assuming we did come in as tourists, but I have no idea on if we signned any immigration documents since I was a kid and was absolutely clueless.

How exactly would I go about applying to become a permanent resident? Humanitarian and compassionate grounds?

Apr 11, 2018
but how did you leave and re-enter Canada so many times since you consider yourself illegal?
I've only entered the country twice and I'm not quite sure how we entered exactly. All I remember is that the second time I came in my mother told me to lie to I'm assuming some sort of immigration officer, saying that I was on school break and visiting or something like that. So I'm assuming we entered as tourists maybe?

tracey321

Star Member
Nov 19, 2017
maybe you can try to seek advice from a immigration lawyer they may be able to advice you on how best to approach the situation most don't charge alot for consultation I don't know your age or maybe someone on here could direct you in the right direction hope all goes well for you

Reactions: TheDunkMaster69

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
My parents are not rich, my father works as a construction worker (stereotypical I know) and my mother just stays at home. We rent a house. I'd say we do reasonably well, we're probably around middle class.

No I do not possess a health card which is another issue, as I can't pursue the sports and hobbies I want to do to fear of getting injured and billed out the ass.

I'm assuming we did come in as tourists, but I have no idea on if we signned any immigration documents since I was a kid and was absolutely clueless.

How exactly would I go about applying to become a permanent resident? Humanitarian and compassionate grounds?

IRCC will be easy on you. Your from The WEST. Check if they have a record of your parents immigrating in Canada decades ago.
Back then, people came in droves on ships. I’m thinking about Liberty or Conney Island and Godfather part 1.

If not, apply for permanent residency.

Apr 11, 2018
maybe you can try to seek advice from a immigration lawyer they may be able to advice you on how best to approach the situation most don't charge alot for consultation I don't know your age or maybe someone on here could direct you in the right direction hope all goes well for you
Yeah I was thinking of making an appointment. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: tracey321
Apr 11, 2018
IRCC will be easy on you. Your from The WEST. Check if they have a record of your parents immigrating in Canada decades ago.
Back then, people came in droves on ships. I’m thinking about Liberty or Conney Island and Godfather part 1.

We immigrated here around 2000 and 2012-ish so it wasn't that long ago lmao. But sure I'll make an appointment with an immigration lawyer and talk about applying for permanent residency.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Ha

Hahaha..he came 18 years ago and not in the early 1900s..different set of rules

Reactions: torontosm

DRRD

Feb 8, 2018
Let me start by providing any relevant information that might impact my options. I am a 20 year old white male currently living in Toronto. I originally came here from Portugal when I was 2 years old, left Canada to go back to Portugal when I was around 10, moved to Germany and then moved back to Canada when I was around 13 years old. I have been living here in Toronto ever since. I believe my parents and I came here as visitors and then overstayed both times. I have one brother who was born here, so he is a Canadian citizen.

English is my primary language, I've attended school since kindergarten until around grade 5 I believe, and then resumed school from grade 8. I graduated from high school 2 years ago and am currently in my first year in university after applying as a permanent resident (I know I know, both my mother and our lawyer told me to apply as a permanent resident even though I didnt agree with it)

The reason why I've come to this forum is because I am completely fed up with my parents for both choosing to come here illegally and completely screwing up every opportunity they've had to make me and themselves legal immigrants. My father has had multiple work contracts lined up for him, but he would constantly get drunk and get fired from work. He was also recently caught drinking and driving and has had his licence revoked but did not get criminally charged, or something along those lines. My mother's about as smart as a door knob and was the one to suggest my dad's lawyer be the one to handle our immigration issue. All he managed to do was get us to fill out an application for a permanent resident card and waste nearly 2 years of our time. My mother has no sense of urgency in regards to this, and honestly doesn't care about my situation.

Basically, both of my parents are incompetent idiots and I'm looking for any possible way to become a legal immigrant by myself. This situation causes me an ungodly amount of stress and is seriously setting me back in life, as I can't get a job and do the things I want to do. I've lived here practically my whole life, and I identify myself as a Canadian, yet I'm afforded none of the benefits of being one. All of this stemming from the stupid decisions my parents made.

Sorry for the long text, but I'd appreciate it so much if anyone here could give me advice or options on what to do with my situation. I'll even take advice that involves my parents as I'm just desperate for any kind of solution.
- Didn't university ask you for proof of permanent residency? I went to university myself here and that's the first thing they asked me for. How did you manage to stay in after applying without proof of PR?

Since you are in university and If I were in your case, I would try to complete a bachelor degree that leads to PR (skilled worker). And by the time you are in your last year in school, you can apply for PR based on your schooling. This is of course if you don't get anything better with the lawyer.

Keep a clean criminal record.

Also, look for information on "dreamers in Canada." Obviously as it related to immigration. You belong to that group of children.

According to this article, many in your case claim refugee status:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/canadian-dreamers-york-university-1.4488252

That's a good start for you!

Last edited:

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Am I the only one that is concerned that he committed fraud with the university, as an adult? I, too, am surprised that the university didn't ask for COPR or PR card for verification, although if he entered with high school transcripts perhaps they accepted the assumption. Strange that the grade school and high school didn't catch it. When my son started grade school, I had to show them his landing document to prove he was a resident.

sheriB

Star Member
Feb 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2012
AOR Received.
23-01-2013
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
Nov 2012
I know someone who was living here for almost 15 years before they became PR and now citizen. The best suggestion is to speak with an immigration lawyer.

I’m also in university in Toronto, I can’t remember if they actually checked my PR however it’s illegal to study without a study permit. And you could potentially be sabataging yourself by committing fraud. Like the above person said, you’re an adult, your parents won’t get blamed you will.

Now you mentioned a lawyer, what is that lawyer doing? Was it just a consultation for university? What proper lawyer would advice you to lie about your immigration status?

I don’t know if immigration lawyers do pro bono cases but check. Best advice... you need a lawyer.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Am I the only one that is concerned that he committed fraud with the university, as an adult? I, too, am surprised that the university didn't ask for COPR or PR card for verification, although if he entered with high school transcripts perhaps they accepted the assumption. Strange that the grade school and high school didn't catch it. When my son started grade school, I had to show them his landing document to prove he was a resident.
Likely because of his long history in Canada and the fact that he is a native english speaker, they just assumed.

And yes, there is clearly fraud here. Likely there is fraud in a number of places throughout the OP's history - but now the OP is an adult. This is going to be a messy case and a (good) lawyer is strongly recommended.