+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am Diabetic would i be rejected my PR in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
masood8 said:
To all members,

Its clearly mentioned on CIC website that only contagious diseases Like TB and HIV etc etc applicant cannot enter to Canada.

DM and heart disease is not a contagious disease so no need to worry.
Actually - there is potentially reason to worry if the heart disease is very serious. You've misunderstood the reasons why PR applications are sometimes refused for medical reasons. It's not just for having diseases that are contagious - it can also be for having serious health issues (e.g. advance heart disease, serious case of diabetes) where the treatment for this disease is expected to create a burden on the Canadian health care system.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
scylla said:
Actually - there is potentially reason to worry if the heart disease is very serious. You've misunderstood the reasons why PR applications are sometimes refused for medical reasons. It's not just for having diseases that are contagious - it can also be for having serious health issues (e.g. advance heart disease, serious case of diabetes) where the treatment for this disease is expected to create a burden on the Canadian health care system.
Right. A38 covers three cases:

(1) Threat to public health
(2) Thread to public safety
(3) Excessive demand on health and/or social services

Tuberculosis is considered to be a threat to public health. I'd imagine that Ebola would be a threat to public safety (for example). HIV (which the OP cited) is actually rejected on the excessive demand basis, though I've assisted some forum members in responding to CIC and overcoming the excessive demand claim for HIV treatment (some treatment options are now generic and fall far below the excessive demand threshold).

From what I've seen, excessive demand for health care costs is generally used to find people requiring specific drug or medical procedure costs. For example, someone with severe CHD that is expected to require bypass surgery or angioplasty might be deemed excessive demand (depending upon what the medical officer decides the costs of these procedures are). The current excessive demand threshold is ~$6300 per year and they will look at a 5 or 10 year time frame. Another case in which I helped someone respond, they were taking immunosuppressive drugs after a transplant. The medical officer raised concerns about costs. When we went through the actual costs (by using the public Quebec formulary that includes pricing information), we were able to determine that the applicant's actual costs fell far short of the excessive demand threshold. In both those cases the applicants have since become permanent residents.

Excessive demand for social services is usually used to find people with certain types of conditions inadmissible because they require additional services. For instance, a child that requires special education services is normally inadmissible because the costs of special education services are far in excess of the $6300 per year limit.

A finding of excessive demand can be rebutted, but it depends upon the specific case - there's no single approach that should be used by everyone.

But minor medical conditions are not the basis for being found inadmissible.

Reactions: Miracle2018

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
masood8 said:
To all members,

Its clearly mentioned on CIC website that only contagious diseases Like TB and HIV etc etc applicant cannot enter to Canada.

DM and heart disease is not a contagious disease so no need to worry.
Not true, if it will be too expensive to treat it could also be rejected.

wadz

Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
05-08-2014 (PER)
IELTS Request
sent together with application
Med's Request
29-08-2014
Med's Done....
18-09-2014; spouse submitted further medical test 18-12-2014
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
ECAS DM 24-01-2015 DATE VISA ISSUED: 21.01.2015 VISA RECEIVED: 31.01.2015
LANDED..........
in God's perfect time
computergeek said:
Right. A38 covers three cases:

(1) Threat to public health
(2) Thread to public safety
(3) Excessive demand on health and/or social services

Tuberculosis is considered to be a threat to public health. I'd imagine that Ebola would be a threat to public safety (for example). HIV (which the OP cited) is actually rejected on the excessive demand basis, though I've assisted some forum members in responding to CIC and overcoming the excessive demand claim for HIV treatment (some treatment options are now generic and fall far below the excessive demand threshold).

From what I've seen, excessive demand for health care costs is generally used to find people requiring specific drug or medical procedure costs. For example, someone with severe CHD that is expected to require bypass surgery or angioplasty might be deemed excessive demand (depending upon what the medical officer decides the costs of these procedures are). The current excessive demand threshold is ~$6300 per year and they will look at a 5 or 10 year time frame. Another case in which I helped someone respond, they were taking immunosuppressive drugs after a transplant. The medical officer raised concerns about costs. When we went through the actual costs (by using the public Quebec formulary that includes pricing information), we were able to determine that the applicant's actual costs fell far short of the excessive demand threshold. In both those cases the applicants have since become permanent residents.

Excessive demand for social services is usually used to find people with certain types of conditions inadmissible because they require additional services. For instance, a child that requires special education services is normally inadmissible because the costs of special education services are far in excess of the $6300 per year limit.

A finding of excessive demand can be rebutted, but it depends upon the specific case - there's no single approach that should be used by everyone.

But minor medical conditions are not the basis for being found inadmissible.
Hi computergeek, until now I am still so worried about the outcome of my application. My batchmates this FSW 2014 applicants coming from Philippines are now receiving passport requests. I may believe the medical officers are now weighing the medical result of my husband having a heart problem.

My husband has been advised to undergo surgery for mitral valve stenosis - narrowing of the valve of the heart. But we are still trying our luck to apply if we can pass. As of now, we are still waiting for the result and feedback.

On the other hand, we are gathering any possibilities to be prepared and to save time. Do you have any idea / or cases wherein CEM/DMP grant PR having these options / scenarios:

* surgery is done in the home country; application is still valid?
* intent and promise to the government of Canada that we will personally shoulder medical expenses

It is very delightful to feeling that someone is ready to listen on all our dilemma, fears and worries.

God bless these people even more! :)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
wadz said:
* surgery is done in the home country; application is still valid?
This is generally an acceptable option. Once the procedure is done, the costs involved are those of routine follow-up care. In such a case that routine follow-up care is not considered to be excessive demand.

wadz said:
* intent and promise to the government of Canada that we will personally shoulder medical expenses
Unless it is backed up by some independent third party, this will not be persuasive to CIC - remember, there is no enforcement mechanism for such a promise and thus they give it little weight. If you had insurance that covered such costs then that would be considered, but again, by itself is not necessarily sufficient to satisfy CIC.

If one were immigrating to BC or AB, it might also work to opt out of public funded health care (both these provinces permit such an option) and this is better when combined with some sort of private insurance coverage. This wouldn't be an option for those provinces that do not permit someone from "opting out" of public funded health care, though, and I don't know if CIC would find this acceptable (though it at least provides a model by which care is not provided at public expense).

A well-crafted response is vital to being successful in such cases. A good response will overcome the finding of inadmissibility or in the alternative provide a solid basis for challenging CIC in Federal Court. That is why it is definitely best to work with an attorney familiar with A38 inadmissibility issues - and that's a very small subset of immigration attorneys.

wadz

Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
05-08-2014 (PER)
IELTS Request
Med's Request
29-08-2014
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
in God's perfect time
Hi computergeek, thank you so much for your inputs! I hope DMP will allow and give us time if we will do option #1, to undergo operation in my home country. I hope so that there are certain foundation in Canada to help us / pledge us to do in Canada :+(

As we are still waiting for the feedback (6 weeks after our medical exam), having a lawyer who could possibly help us draft (if we can receive the fairness letter) is still out of my imagination... it is too expensive, i'd rather allot that for the operation of my husband rather than hiring a lawyer... if only i have resources, then y not!

thanks for the help again and again!

computergeek said:
This is generally an acceptable option. Once the procedure is done, the costs involved are those of routine follow-up care. In such a case that routine follow-up care is not considered to be excessive demand.

Unless it is backed up by some independent third party, this will not be persuasive to CIC - remember, there is no enforcement mechanism for such a promise and thus they give it little weight. If you had insurance that covered such costs then that would be considered, but again, by itself is not necessarily sufficient to satisfy CIC.

If one were immigrating to BC or AB, it might also work to opt out of public funded health care (both these provinces permit such an option) and this is better when combined with some sort of private insurance coverage. This wouldn't be an option for those provinces that do not permit someone from "opting out" of public funded health care, though, and I don't know if CIC would find this acceptable (though it at least provides a model by which care is not provided at public expense).

A well-crafted response is vital to being successful in such cases. A good response will overcome the finding of inadmissibility or in the alternative provide a solid basis for challenging CIC in Federal Court. That is why it is definitely best to work with an attorney familiar with A38 inadmissibility issues - and that's a very small subset of immigration attorneys.

Miss Mia

Mar 10, 2013
wadz said:
Hi computergeek, thank you so much for your inputs! I hope DMP will allow and give us time if we will do option #1, to undergo operation in my home country. I hope so that there are certain foundation in Canada to help us / pledge us to do in Canada :+(

As we are still waiting for the feedback (6 weeks after our medical exam), having a lawyer who could possibly help us draft (if we can receive the fairness letter) is still out of my imagination... it is too expensive, i'd rather allot that for the operation of my husband rather than hiring a lawyer... if only i have resources, then y not!

thanks for the help again and again!
Hi wadz,any updates regarding ur papers?In what province r u?Is there any way I can get hold of u?Thanks ;)

wadz

Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
05-08-2014 (PER)
IELTS Request
Med's Request
29-08-2014
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
in God's perfect time
Hi Ms Mia, how are you?

Still here patiently waiting for the response from CIC, sometimes I lose hope seeing those same timeline with me in the
Philippines already receiving visa. But this is life... we must go on. BTW, we are planning to go to AB.

Hows ur application? In what stage you are now?

Miss Mia said:
Hi wadz,any updates regarding ur papers?In what province r u?Is there any way I can get hold of u?Thanks ;)

Miss Mia

Mar 10, 2013
wadz said:
Hi Ms Mia, how are you?

Still here patiently waiting for the response from CIC, sometimes I lose hope seeing those same timeline with me in the
Philippines already receiving visa. But this is life... we must go on. BTW, we are planning to go to AB.

Hello wadz,im pretty fine.

Would u mind if u give me your contact no. and the best time i can call u?Thanks.

Miss Mia

Mar 10, 2013
wadz said:
Hi Ms Mia, how are you?

Hi wadz,

I sent u a personal message but im not sure if it went thru...coz when I check in my sent msgs..di ko makita ung msg ko sau!Let know..

Thanks!

Alex2012

Nov 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2014; Received: 21-07-2014
Nomination.....
CC Charged: 05-11-2014
AOR Received.
PER: 15-11-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with the application.
Med's Request
27-02-2015 (ECAS indicates 26-02-2015)
Med's Done....
19-03-2015 (Received furtherance medical exam notice for wife on 08-04-2015. Submitted medical report and follow-up laboratory test results on 14-05-2015). Medical results received on 20-05-2015.
Passport Req..
25-05-2015 Passports Received by CEM: 29-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 12-06-2015 Visa Received: 23/06/2015
LANDED..........
17-10-2015
Miss Mia said:
Hi wadz,

I sent u a personal message but im not sure if it went thru...coz when I check in my sent msgs..di ko makita ung msg ko sau!Let know..

Thanks!
Hello, Miss Mia and Ma'am Wadz.

I read on your cases and I would like you to know that we have the same case too. My wife has RHD since her childhood, but with God's mercy and grace we were blessed with a child despite the danger that she went through during her pregnancy. As of now, she is just taking medication to control the stickiness of her blood although as advised by our cardiologist the ultimate and long term solution is still surgery.

Same as in your cases, I am also the principal applicant. We just received our PER last week. While waiting for the MR and the condition of my wife in mind, I am doing a research about our case. One of the information I have obtained is from the CIC website itself. Just search for "medical exemptions". I have the link but I am not allowed here to post links.

Anyway, the ff. are stated in that link:

Exemptions from inadmissibility on grounds of excessive demand
As per paragraphs R24, R117(g) and R139(4), excessive demand determinations under A38(1)(c) do not apply to:

* spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
* a dependent child (including an adopted a child) of the sponsor, or of the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;
* Convention Refugees;
* protected persons.

Although such individuals must undertake a full immigration medical examination, they are not assessed for excessive demand.

I am not sure if this is applicable in our case, but I do hope and pray that, with this guidelines, everything will turn our fine in our applications.

May God bless us and our families in this endeavor and always.

wadz

Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
05-08-2014 (PER)
IELTS Request
Med's Request
29-08-2014
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
in God's perfect time
Hi Ms. Mia, how are you... I sent you personal message. Any update on your application?

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the club... 8) let us just think this way to lighten a bit (even just a bit coz this really cause LOTS of sleepless nights and stress) on our troubles, worries and despair. We are here to share experiences, to lighten our burden that in all the way, WE ARE NOT ALONE.

Yes, my hubby and ur wife has the same case - RHD. And congratulations, your wife had made it all the way on her delivery, its indeed a miracle.

Your information as stated from CIC is a good news, however I read and learned some applicants (dependents) applications has an additional process or requirements if they fall under "excessive demand". Refer below links for further reference. More heads are better than one; likewise sharing of experiences can uplift hope.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/admiss/excessive.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/admiss/excessive.asp#chart1

Until now, its been 2 months since our medical examination... our ECAS status has not changed, nor any information from CIC.

Keep us posted, and let us know any information you found in one of your readings.

Alex2012

Nov 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2014; Received: 21-07-2014
Nomination.....
CC Charged: 05-11-2014
AOR Received.
PER: 15-11-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with the application.
Med's Request
27-02-2015 (ECAS indicates 26-02-2015)
Med's Done....
19-03-2015 (Received furtherance medical exam notice for wife on 08-04-2015. Submitted medical report and follow-up laboratory test results on 14-05-2015). Medical results received on 20-05-2015.
Passport Req..
25-05-2015 Passports Received by CEM: 29-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 12-06-2015 Visa Received: 23/06/2015
LANDED..........
17-10-2015
wadz said:
Hi Ms. Mia, how are you... I sent you personal message. Any update on your application?

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the club... 8) let us just think this way to lighten a bit (even just a bit coz this really cause LOTS of sleepless nights and stress) on our troubles, worries and despair. We are here to share experiences, to lighten our burden that in all the way, WE ARE NOT ALONE.

Yes, my hubby and ur wife has the same case - RHD. And congratulations, your wife had made it all the way on her delivery, its indeed a miracle.

Your information as stated from CIC is a good news, however I read and learned some applicants (dependents) applications has an additional process or requirements if they fall under "excessive demand". Refer below links for further reference. More heads are better than one; likewise sharing of experiences can uplift hope.

Until now, its been 2 months since our medical examination... our ECAS status has not changed, nor any information from CIC.

Keep us posted, and let us know any information you found in one of your readings.

Hello, Ma'am.

Hopefully, our cases will be considered under the exemptions from inadmissibility on grounds of excessive demand.

By the way po, have your tried inquiring about the status of your application sa CEM?

Let's also try seeking opinions from our kapwa Pinoys through the FSWP 2014 PINOY aspirants forum.

God bless us all.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
The family exemption only applies to family class sponsored applications, not to economic class applications.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
they only worried about transferable disease , like TV and AIDS
No. They are worried about deceases which treatment could be a burden on Health Care System and social assistance. (concerning TV, if it is treated already there should not be a problem).
Because people with diabetes get a lot of social help being a diabetic could be a problem. However, I have never heard that any diabetic was rejected because of his condition.