+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am Diabetic would i be rejected my PR in Canada?

Ramesh85

Oct 1, 2012
I am applying for PR in Federal Skilled Worker Program which is supposed to open on Jan 1st. I am recently diagnosed of diabetes and it is in control. I am using a single pill which would keep my blood sugars below normal just like any other individual. If i hide this fact and apply for PR would this be a problem? would they come to know during my medical? If i am letting them know while applying would that impact my PR application and get rejected as i read some medical conditions can reject my application..

Is there anyone over here who applied for PR with Diabetes and was approved or some one who hid the fact and still got approved? I was even told by doctor that i can stop medication gradually in few months as i have my sugar levels in control. btw i am just 26yrs old.

Reactions: MirKhanJiskani

ram84

Jan 12, 2012
vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 jan 2010
Doc's Request.
20 mar 2010
AOR Received.
novermber
Med's Request
25 october2011
Med's Done....
5 november 2011
Interview........
no
Ramesh85 said:
I am applying for PR in Federal Skilled Worker Program which is supposed to open on Jan 1st. I am recently diagnosed of diabetes and it is in control. I am using a single pill which would keep my blood sugars below normal just like any other individual. If i hide this fact and apply for PR would this be a problem? would they come to know during my medical? If i am letting them know while applying would that impact my PR application and get rejected as i read some medical conditions can reject my application..

Is there anyone over here who applied for PR with Diabetes and was approved or some one who hid the fact and still got approved? I was even told by doctor that i can stop medication gradually in few months as i have my sugar levels in control. btw i am just 26yrs old.
Diabetes is not transfer to one person to another , so their is no problem regarding ppr

they only worried about transferable disease , like TV and AIDS

Ramesh85

Oct 1, 2012
I heard even if the person is a burden to Canadian Health care then can be rejected. SO, i am just wondering whether i am not not.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You should disclose it... they will test for it anyway and can tell from the results. The problem is, they may think it's a new condition and then send you for a full work up to exclude other issues(wasting your time). Whereas, if the DMP knows right away that you have it and take medication for it, it's just a matter of getting more info(if needed) from your family physician to help with his/her assessment.

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ramesh85 said:

Is there anyone over here who applied for PR with Diabetes and was approved or some one who hid the fact and still got approved? I was even told by doctor that i can stop medication gradually in few months as i have my sugar levels in control. btw i am just 26yrs old.h

Hi ramesh,

Firstly i feel sorry to kw that at very young age u got diabetes hopefully it will disappear for forever.

Any applicant with diseases or disorders which can pose burden to canadian govt is deemed inadmissible.

Diabetes per se is admissible or not,will it b burden or not is difficult to answer for anyone with little information.

Diabetes has stages and ur case appears to me as prediabetic depending on ur description and to conclude that u will not be burden,doctor needs lot of information.

1.high sugars,fasting, post lunch and GTT and also HbA1c.
2 high BMI
3.recent change in food habits,recent stress can cause sudden rise in sugars.(u say its recent,this cd b cause )
4.family history of diabetes,high lipids,high BP,heart disorders etc etc
5.pancreatic disorders history,treatment
6.history of associated BP or high cholesterols

If u dont hv any of the above risk factors and sugars r well within normal limitis and ur deviation of levels were minimal( figures r imp ) and it can b controlled with diet and change in lifestyle and u dont hv near risk of getting it back then yes GO AHEAD N APPLY.

Take help of ur family doctor who can assess and explain all these.

Good luck.
Rgds,
Art.

Reactions: Aartits

Rawat anil

May 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 jan 2012
AOR Received.
feb 2012
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
12 July 2012
Med's Done....
02 Aug 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11 oct 2012 DM on 15 oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
22 nov 2012
LANDED..........
16 jan 2013
no it doesnt make any difference. you have to do extra test to check your kidney function.
start doing exercises(running) it will reduce your sugar. best of luck.

Ramesh85 said:

Reactions: Miracle2018

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rawat anil said:
no it doesnt make any difference. you have to do extra test to check your kidney function.
start doing exercises(running) it will reduce your sugar. best of luck.
Sorry rawant anil,

I dont understand hw u can say confidently that it doesnt make any difference.i really wish ur words will come true for every case that after excersise sugars levels will come down,do u have idea about insulin levels.wht if body isnt producing enough insulin, does the exercise bring it back?

Once diabetic,one need to do screening for all target organs not just kidneys.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Sigh.

There are three grounds upon which CIC may reject your application for medical reasons:

(1) "People with a health condition that is likely to be a danger to public health [A38(1)(a)]"
(2) "People with a health condition that is likely to be a danger to public safety [A38(1)(b)]"
(3) "People with a health condition that might reasonably be expected to cause excessive demand on health or social services [A38(1)(c)]"

Tuberculosis and syphilis are usually cited for the first two examples, but I'm sure there are others as well.

Some conditions may be covered by the third example. For example, someone cited AIDS - "they only worried about transferable disease , like TV and AIDS". This isn't even correct, since it's not deemed to be a danger to public health or safety.

Diabetes is not considered to be a public health or safety issue. Thus the only issue is around excessive demand.

A condition such as diabetes is evaluated based upon the cost of treatment. As long as the cost of treatment is less than the allowed value (currently ~ $6100 per year) then you would not be medically inadmissible due to excessive demand. So one question would be to ask what the cost of the diabetes drugs you are taking are in Canada and if they are covered by the medical plan in the province where you will be landing. Finding out drug costs in Canada is a bit challenging - I usually use the Quebec RAMQ manual, since it is available online and lists the price the province pays. Finding out coverage usually requires understanding the coverage in the province where you intend on landing.

If the medical service decides you are excessive demand, you will receive a fairness letter that explains their finding. You may challenge their medical opinion and you may provide a cost mitigation plan. I would suggest coming back and asking if you need help in this area and are unwilling to hire one of the handful of lawyers who have serious solid experience in this area.

I serious doubt your diabetes will cause a problem, unless the cost of the drug is very high and you would be eligible for provincial drug coverage for it.

For the record: I have been through this whole process - from having an issue turn up in the immigration medical, to receiving a follow-up letter, to receiving a fairness letter, to putting together a comprehensive response, including a strong mitigation plan, a rejection and then applying for JR and being granted leave. In fact, it's only last week that I agreed to withdraw my JR application once CIC agreed to issue a PR visa on my second application - and I believe they did so because they were very likely to lose.

On the positive front, I can tell you that CIC doesn't do well in court on medical inadmissibility cases in the FSW application area - they lose something like 75% of the JR applications.

Good luck!

Rawat anil

May 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 jan 2012
AOR Received.
feb 2012
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
12 July 2012
Med's Done....
02 Aug 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11 oct 2012 DM on 15 oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
22 nov 2012
LANDED..........
16 jan 2013
i'm not a docter and i have just shared what i have read on DHP handbook. and considering he is just diaganose with diabetic and healthy in all the ways.

Question 10: Diabetes
When there is a history of diabetes, the details from the applicant should include the date of onset, type of treatment, history of complications, and presence or absence of symptoms related to target-organ damage, such as nephropathy, neuropathy, ischemic heart disease, peripheral vascular disease or retinopathy.

Note: If the applicant is not excessive demand exempt, a serum creatinine must be performed.

art2012 said:
Sorry rawant anil,

I dont understand hw u can say confidently that it doesnt make any difference.i really wish ur words will come true for every case that after excersise sugars levels will come down,do u have idea about insulin levels.wht if body isnt producing enough insulin, does the exercise bring it back?

Once diabetic,one need to do screening for all target organs not just kidneys.

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hi Ramesh85,

I am curious to know what happened to your case. Did you pass through your medicals and got PR?
What tests did you undergo? If you don't mind if you can disclose the details it is much appreciated.

I am also diabetic and am little worried about my medicals.

Thanks in advance.

awai ali

Champion Member
May 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2011
Doc's Request.
March 2013
File Transfer...
April 2012
Med's Request
March 2014
Med's Done....
April 2014
Interview........
February 2014
Passport Req..
PPR1 and PPR2 in June with gap of 10 days .....
VISA ISSUED...
ما شاء الله ,الحمد لله......July 2014......
LANDED..........
September 2014...Living Happily in Vancouver B.C.
All Above my brothers...............do not go in too much depth ..........I know a person who has Diabetic and he is in Canada..........Diabetic is not a problem at all, if kidneys are ok ........i hope my bro who is telling story above is at initial stage and that can cover only with exercise and food............best of luck go a head.......

sshehab

Aug 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Ramesh85 ,

i'm little bit curious about your case , did they approve you ?

Thanks
Sherif

nikosyozzer

Star Member
Aug 10, 2014
Cornwall
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2014
computergeek said:
Sigh.

There are three grounds upon which CIC may reject your application for medical reasons:

(1) "People with a health condition that is likely to be a danger to public health [A38(1)(a)]"
(2) "People with a health condition that is likely to be a danger to public safety [A38(1)(b)]"
(3) "People with a health condition that might reasonably be expected to cause excessive demand on health or social services [A38(1)(c)]"

Tuberculosis and syphilis are usually cited for the first two examples, but I'm sure there are others as well.

Some conditions may be covered by the third example. For example, someone cited AIDS - "they only worried about transferable disease , like TV and AIDS". This isn't even correct, since it's not deemed to be a danger to public health or safety.

Diabetes is not considered to be a public health or safety issue. Thus the only issue is around excessive demand.

A condition such as diabetes is evaluated based upon the cost of treatment. As long as the cost of treatment is less than the allowed value (currently ~ $6100 per year) then you would not be medically inadmissible due to excessive demand. So one question would be to ask what the cost of the diabetes drugs you are taking are in Canada and if they are covered by the medical plan in the province where you will be landing. Finding out drug costs in Canada is a bit challenging - I usually use the Quebec RAMQ manual, since it is available online and lists the price the province pays. Finding out coverage usually requires understanding the coverage in the province where you intend on landing.

If the medical service decides you are excessive demand, you will receive a fairness letter that explains their finding. You may challenge their medical opinion and you may provide a cost mitigation plan. I would suggest coming back and asking if you need help in this area and are unwilling to hire one of the handful of lawyers who have serious solid experience in this area.

I serious doubt your diabetes will cause a problem, unless the cost of the drug is very high and you would be eligible for provincial drug coverage for it.

For the record: I have been through this whole process - from having an issue turn up in the immigration medical, to receiving a follow-up letter, to receiving a fairness letter, to putting together a comprehensive response, including a strong mitigation plan, a rejection and then applying for JR and being granted leave. In fact, it's only last week that I agreed to withdraw my JR application once CIC agreed to issue a PR visa on my second application - and I believe they did so because they were very likely to lose.

On the positive front, I can tell you that CIC doesn't do well in court on medical inadmissibility cases in the FSW application area - they lose something like 75% of the JR applications.

Good luck!
Computer Geek - Could you please let me know how I can contact you in regards to some questions I have regarding the Medical Exam. I would very much appreciate if you could let me know of a contact? I cannot find a messaging option on here.

faisal892

May 11, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2010
Doc's Request.
12-10-2010
Med's Request
April 16, 2013
Med's Done....
May 23, 2013
I am diabetic too and I received email few days ago that my visa is ready for issuance and I should send copies of my passport. If ur diabetes is under control then there is no chance that they will reject your application.

Faisal