+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I already have a valid CSQ(Quebec Selection Certificate) , Can i apply for Federal Express Entry ?

rajahoomi

May 20, 2018
I suppose you can apply for EE even if you are in Montreal and are under a work permit. However since you applied, and were granted, a CSQ this is an indication that you wish to stay in Quebec. You cannot apply for EE and then settle in Quebec and vice versa. This is an agreement between Quebec as a province and the Federal government that they manage their own immigration, and I can tell you neither side wants to be in violation of this agreement by taking in immigrants intended for the other side.

If you want to apply for EE, you have to write to MIDI and ask them to withdraw your CSQ. You still have to declare in PR that you had a CSQ and that it was revoked because you changed your plans.
Ok thanks for the reply...
So now let’s say I take the quebec route using my CSQ, what should I do when my work permit is getting expired while my employer doesn’t help to get it extended?

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
You should ask MIDI what your options could be they might give you an open work permit.

Right now you have two options either Quebec or EE, my advise is to apply where you want to settle in regardless of processing times. Processing times for Quebec in general are intentionally made longer so that nobody goes through their system unless they actually intend to settle in Quebec.

rajahoomi

May 20, 2018
You should ask MIDI what your options could be they might give you an open work permit.

Right now you have two options either Quebec or EE, my advise is to apply where you want to settle in regardless of processing times. Processing times for Quebec in general are intentionally made longer so that nobody goes through their system unless they actually intend to settle in Quebec.
What you are saying doesn't make sense. Why making the QSW application process longer will guruntee you settle in Quebec? That's actually one of the reasons a lot of people are leaving Quebec.
I spoke with a CIC agent and she said they don't even know if I have a CSQ or not as that's the Quebec's govermengo thing. As long as I have not applied for QSW in federal it doesn't necasirly show any intention that I am going to settle in Quebec. It is possible that you had decided to settle in Quebec but for any reason your situation has changed and now you want to live somewhere else in Canada...

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
It does not guarantee that you will settle in Quebec, but it guarantees nobody else who are actually interested in other provinces will use the Quebec immigration path to cut corners if they don't qualify for EE or any PNP. Because they will weigh in the processing times and decide it's not worth the wait.

Your CSQ or QSW are both intentions to reside in Quebec. IRCC will know you have a CSQ when you apply because that is part of the background check. Other PNP offices will also know about your CSQ when you apply for PNP some of them will then refuse your application and some of them will ask you to withdraw it. Withdrawing the CSQ from MIDI is also time-consuming for the same reasons.

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
What you are saying doesn't make sense. Why making the QSW application process longer will guruntee you settle in Quebec? That's actually one of the reasons a lot of people are leaving Quebec.
I spoke with a CIC agent and she said they don't even know if I have a CSQ or not as that's the Quebec's govermengo thing. As long as I have not applied for QSW in federal it doesn't necasirly show any intention that I am going to settle in Quebec. It is possible that you had decided to settle in Quebec but for any reason your situation has changed and now you want to live somewhere else in Canada...
You are getting misinformed in this thread by someone who do not know the difference between CSQ and QSW and quirks of Quebec immigration.
I understand your situation exactly. Getting a PR thru QSW is a very long one and nowadays it has been getting longer than ever before. High skilled talented people should never opt to work in Quebec. They should leave Quebec immediately after getting 1 year Canadian work experience or if and when they get enough points for Express Entry.

Having CSQ does not deter you from applying for express entry. CSQ is a not an immigrant application. QSW is an immigrant application. Now in EE there is a place where it will ask if you have a CSQ. You should tell yes and enter your CSQ number there. You should also add a letter of explanation citing all the reasons that you do not want to stay in Quebec. This is the process when you apply for EE from Quebec.

Now getting back to your individual situation.

Plan 1

Since you have got your CSQ, you employer do not need to apply LMIA or CAQ to extend your permit. Your employer should apply in Canada employer portal ( pay 200$ fee) and get a job reference number for you. In parallel you apply for QSW and following QSW immediately apply for work permit extension yourself with the employer reference number and your QSW AOR letter.

Now the problem here is since QSW is a paper process, you will have to wait longer to get AOR for QSW. If you have time, then go thru this process. Once you get your work permit extended. Say goodbye to Quebec and your a-hole employer, move out, apply for EE and live happily ever after.

Plan 2

If Plan 1 is impossible, your only way to stay in Canada is to move out of Quebec, apply Express Entry asap and once you get your AOR apply for BOWP. Because staying in Quebec and applying for BOWP will most likely get rejected.

---

If your employer had helped in your closed work permit process, you could have stayed in Quebec and applied Express Entry, but since your employer is not helping, the only way is it move out of Quebec and apply EE asap and get BOWP. Change to visitor visa if possible to help in this transition.

Vishnutorres

Dec 7, 2018
Hello everyone,
Il in the same situation ...I was not ready to apply for Express entry so I applied into Quebec system but now it is nonsense the federal under Quebec is too long and I'm ready to apply for express entry...
Any advice?

Reactions: Laksh Sharda

Chofi

Aug 19, 2013
Hi Guys, I have a question, I recently got my CSQ so now I am filling up the form and maybe next week submitting for the federal process. I already know by their webpage that waiting time for QSW it's around 12,15 months to obtain PR. So I just want to know at wich point of the process you get that COPR letter or the form you can show in the universities here to pay as a resident, is it after all the medicals and police check I guess? I have been working in Montreal since 2014, and did all those medicals and stuff before coming with a working visa. Anyways just to have an idea so I can plan other things in the meantime, my wish is to start studying as soon as I get that paper or the PR visa. Thanks

golrak29

Feb 20, 2020
I have a valid CSQ and i want to apply for PR so My question is Can i Apply for Federal Express Entry Program and get my PR in a faster mode rather than going for a normal application of PR which will take more time than Federal Express Entry ??
Hi, Am on same exact situation as you. What have you done. Did you go through QSW or Express entry. Please suggest. Thanks

golrak29

Feb 20, 2020
Hi Guys, I have a question, I recently got my CSQ so now I am filling up the form and maybe next week submitting for the federal process. I already know by their webpage that waiting time for QSW it's around 12,15 months to obtain PR. So I just want to know at wich point of the process you get that COPR letter or the form you can show in the universities here to pay as a resident, is it after all the medicals and police check I guess? I have been working in Montreal since 2014, and did all those medicals and stuff before coming with a working visa. Anyways just to have an idea so I can plan other things in the meantime, my wish is to start studying as soon as I get that paper or the PR visa. Thanks
Hi, Can i know your PR status now?

Md Sajeeb

Jul 19, 2015
Hi guys,

I am in a tough situation and want to make life changing decision. I live in Montreal and I got my CSQ 1 month ago and my work permit expires in 9 months. I also have ITA through EE both federal skilled workers and Canadian Experience class with a score of 461. I still haven’t applied neither QSW nor EE.
My employer recognizes me as a good employee but they have a stupid policy of not helping people to extend their work permit as a closed work permit tied to their company. I know if I apply for QSW it will take 17 months and I’ll become super anxious in a few months to how extend my work permit in Quebec as there is no bridg work permit option when you apply for QSW.
At the same time I have my uncle and many friends in Ottawa that I have as a support for my proof of intention to move outside of Quebec. Plus, my employer not helping me with my work permit adds to my intention to move outside of Quebec. I had studied in Ottawa before and I have the option to put my name in the lease with my previous roommate. Also I have started applying for jobs in Ottawa.
That all being said, if I apply for EE while having my CSQ but very strong proofs for my intention what do you think will happen in my case?

Thanks
How did you apply? I am exactly in the same situation now. Did you withdraw the CSQ the apply EE?

Reactions: Emilybrown