+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

husband's PR application

Aug 3, 2023
Hello all,

My husband is from the US, and I'm from Canada; I live here and he's been coming over as a visitor for 6 months at a time, and we're going to go ahead and apply for his PR.

We want to apply for PR from within Canada. He technically lives with me, and just stays with his family when it's time for him to go back to the US (when the 6 months is up). On some of the forms, it asks for his current address; is he able to put mine (our marital home)? When he applies for PR, although he only has a visitor status right now, can he indicate that he currently lives in Canada and is applying for the Spouse/Common law Partner in Canada Class? Or is that technically not correct, because of the visitor status?

Should he also be applying for an extension to his visitor status with the PR application since his next 6 month term will be up in a few months, and the PR takes longer than that? What about an open work visa so that can be granted when he does obtain PR, or should we wait until he has his PR first for that?

Any guidance would be helpful! We want to make sure we're filling all these forms out right!

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

My husband is from the US, and I'm from Canada; I live here and he's been coming over as a visitor for 6 months at a time, and we're going to go ahead and apply for his PR.

We want to apply for PR from within Canada. He technically lives with me, and just stays with his family when it's time for him to go back to the US (when the 6 months is up). On some of the forms, it asks for his current address; is he able to put mine (our marital home)? When he applies for PR, although he only has a visitor status right now, can he indicate that he currently lives in Canada and is applying for the Spouse/Common law Partner in Canada Class? Or is that technically not correct, because of the visitor status?

Should he also be applying for an extension to his visitor status with the PR application since his next 6 month term will be up in a few months, and the PR takes longer than that? What about an open work visa so that can be granted when he does obtain PR, or should we wait until he has his PR first for that?

Any guidance would be helpful! We want to make sure we're filling all these forms out right!

Thanks!
He isn’t living in Canada. He has been visiting you for long periods of time. He will need to apply to extend his visitor status until he gets AOR on his OWP. At that point he will have implied status. Have you been living off of your income and savings while he visits for long periods of time? He can list your address as his current address but he is a visitor and it is your home at the moment.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello all,

Thanks!
It sounds to me like he is going back mainly just for his visitor status? Does he need to go back for other reasons?

If so: I would simplify at this point and apply for PR as soon as feasible and then - ~30 days before his next visa is up - apply for extension and stay, not return to uSa for time being.

I would say if you do this he can put Canadian address and he applies as inland.

I've not addressed money or job or healthcare, all of which may complicate somewhat.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

Thanks!
If submitting an Inland Spousal Sponsorship application, he will be eligible to apply for an OWP as soon as you have confirmation that the application has been received by IRCC. This is officially called AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) and is now, in theory, much faster to receive since all applications must be submitted online. As soon as you submit the application, it is received...but you still need to wait for the official email or notification.

If he receives the AOR before his status expires, the application for the OWP will give him Maintained Status throughout the PR process as long as it is also sent before his status expires.

Reactions: armoured