+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Humanitarian and compassionate grounds processing time

D_8rane

Star Member
Apr 12, 2018
i just wanted to share everyone the timeline of my application for PR though H&C grounds
April 2017- submitted the application
April 2018 - Stage 1 approved
November 2018 - Stage 2- asked for medical examination
Feb 2019- Decision made

I did not hire a lawyer, I did it on my own, the instructions are easy to follow. Gather as much documents, letter from friends, church, volunteer work, birth certificates of dependents, photos, income tax assessments, T4. All documents you think that might help. Include a letter why you are applying a PR through Humanitarian and compassionate. List down all your arguments. e.g. Best interest of the child, hardship you will encounter when you are to be removed in Canada, financial status etc. Do some research. Check all signatures before you close the envelope.

Good luck to all of you.
I agree! The more documents you can provide, the better. I have a lawyer because I had a failed refugee and appeal but when I started my application for h&c, I did it all like research on how to strengthen my case and provided him everything. He didnt exactly told me what to do because I feel that some lawyers want to prolong your application so they can make money out of it. I’ve been asking him to apply h&c but he keeps saying to wait so for a year I prepared everything like letters at least 20, pictures, articles, proof of donation or volunteer works so by the time your appeal is failed, you’re ready to apply for h&c righty away. I also included a very long letter to consider my application and about my life here in canada with my daughter.
Feb 2020- application received
Sept 2020- AIP approved
waiting for medical, security, financial checks.

Last edited:

D_8rane

Star Member
Apr 12, 2018
My mother apply for h&c apr 2018 and first stage approved in August 2020
last week they requested for medical and financial support document as my mother is not working in Canada so I'm going to send my financial document for support her but I'm not working right now because I'm on maternity leave. is it any issue with that if I send my bank statements and last year notice of assessment? Can they make any issue about my maternity leave?
Please someone help me.
Hi, they said EI is not considered as social assistance or welfare. I am also under cerb/ei and only working on weekends because of temp laid off due to covid and my daughter is under the blended online class but I was advised by my lawyer if I can find a job before the interview for approval. By then, I have enough time to find a job. Goodluck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, they said EI is not considered as social assistance or welfare. I am also under cerb/ei and only working on weekends because of temp laid off due to covid and my daughter is under the blended online class but I was advised by my lawyer if I can find a job before the interview for approval. By then, I have enough time to find a job. Goodluck!
Would encourage you to find another full-time job if you haven’t returned to your current job. EI due to a lay off isn’t viewed badly but longterm EI can be concerning. EI from maternity is viewed differently.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My mother apply for h&c apr 2018 and first stage approved in August 2020
last week they requested for medical and financial support document as my mother is not working in Canada so I'm going to send my financial document for support her but I'm not working right now because I'm on maternity leave. is it any issue with that if I send my bank statements and last year notice of assessment? Can they make any issue about my maternity leave?
Please someone help me.
She should also be sending her own financial documents since the government can not force you to support your mother and she can technically apply for welfare after approval. You should be showing a plan about how she can support herself and preferably work.

D_8rane

Star Member
Apr 12, 2018
Would encourage you to find another full-time job if you haven’t returned to your current job. EI due to a lay off isn’t viewed badly but longterm EI can be concerning. EI from maternity is viewed differently.
I have already returned to my current job since May but for now, they can only give me weekend shift. Meanwhile, I am assisting my daughter at home on weekdays for her online class but you’re right I need to look for a full time when my schedule permits. When I applied for h&c, I was working 6 days a week as a single mom. I only stopped when I was temporarily laid off because of covid. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have already returned to my current job since May but for now, they can only give me weekend shift. Meanwhile, I am assisting my daughter at home on weekdays for her online class but you’re right I need to look for a full time when my schedule permits. When I applied for h&c, I was working 6 days a week as a single mom. I only stopped when I was temporarily laid off because of covid. Thanks
Although being on CERB will not get you automatically denied it would be much better to no longer be dependent on government funds especially since you have returned to your previous work since May and school has started. It seems pretty clear that you will not be returning the same amount of hours of work at thatbkon anytime soon. Your application will be viewed much more favourably if you are no longer taking any form of unemployment money and are covering your costs based on your whole salary. The amount of hours you need to work will depend on your expenses but unless you or your child are immunocompromised I would really suggest that you return to full-time employment and your child return to school. Other parents have had to put their children into school so they could return to work. It would have looked better had you returned to full-time work as soon as possible like many other single mothers have had to do. You have to remember that you are not viewed like those who already have PR so you need to show that you are determined to always be self-sufficient and not be reliant on government aid like you were doing before (working 6 days per week).

D_8rane

Star Member
Apr 12, 2018
Although being on CERB will not get you automatically denied it would be much better to no longer be dependent on government funds especially since you have returned to your previous work since May and school has started. It seems pretty clear that you will not be returning the same amount of hours of work at thatbkon anytime soon. Your application will be viewed much more favourably if you are no longer taking any form of unemployment money and are covering your costs based on your whole salary. The amount of hours you need to work will depend on your expenses but unless you or your child are immunocompromised I would really suggest that you return to full-time employment and your child return to school. Other parents have had to put their children into school so they could return to work. It would have looked better had you returned to full-time work as soon as possible like many other single mothers have had to do. You have to remember that you are not viewed like those who already have PR so you need to show that you are determined to always be self-sufficient and not be reliant on government aid like you were doing before (working 6 days per week).
Yes, I have already returned to my previous job but as I’ve said they cant give me full time hours yet as the business is still struggling, slowly getting back since covid. My work permit had also expired and just got a new one. This is my first time to ever apply for ei. If its not because of covid and working full time, I would’ve sent my daughter to school as well just like any other parents who need to work. Btw, the school just recently opened here in BC. It would have been my daughter’s first time to attend a reg school as a kindergarten. I’ve also been looking and sending out resumes for volunteer works and full time job. It maybe a new job who can offer me full time. Praying that everything will be over soon..

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I have already returned to my previous job but as I’ve said they cant give me full time hours yet as the business is still struggling, slowly getting back since covid. My work permit had also expired and just got a new one. This is my first time to ever apply for ei. If its not because of covid and working full time, I would’ve sent my daughter to school as well just like any other parents who need to work. Btw, the school just recently opened here in BC. It would have been my daughter’s first time to attend a reg school as a kindergarten. I’ve also been looking and sending out resumes for volunteer works and full time job. It maybe a new job who can offer me full time. Praying that everything will be over soon..
Would focus on full-time work not volunteering. You can volunteer while looking for full-time work.