+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Huge CIC Delay on permit extension HELP

shaunteram

Jul 11, 2018
Hello guys
I applied my study permit extension application on April 23 2018, still I am waiting for approval. I got a message in my online account that my application transferred to Edmonton local office cic. My study permit is already expired on May 31 2018. And today when I called CIC they told me I have to wait for 5 months.My other two friends applied on May 15 thru got approved 2 days back.
Hi applied around 23 May. My application is forwarded to edmonton as well. Do you know a reason its been forwarded? Did they contact you?

Shenia

Star Member
May 14, 2016
Hi applied around 23 May. My application is forwarded to edmonton as well. Do you know a reason its been forwarded? Did they contact you?
Hi,
They didn’t contacted me but they had some queries related to my further studies so they contacted my college but still it’s under processing . I don’t know ho

shaunteram

Jul 11, 2018
Hi,
They didn’t contacted me but they had some queries related to my further studies so they contacted my college but still it’s under processing . I don’t know ho
Is there a reason they are telling you it will take more than 5 months. Did they notified you or your college?

Last edited:

shaunteram

Jul 11, 2018
I am a student too its like 2 semesters program. Did they tell you on help centre that its gonna take 5 month. If YES, then its ridiculous thing to go for.

Pat Chaisang

Sep 17, 2018
I'm on the same page!! Submitted my application July 6th and today September 17th, it hasn't even confirmed. I have a job offer and I'm ready to start but I can't even. I may lose my job for this.

Just wondering when did you get your permit extension and did your employer wait for you?

Thanks,
Pat

Guys,

I applied online for a study permit extension on April 11, 2018 from inside Canada (precisely 48 days ago). I called CIC multiple times and send webform and still nothing.
One of the times I called the call centre, the agent said that my application was on the Vegreville(AB) office, that is closing soon. I am starting to think this guys might have lost my application.
The processing times displayed on the website are of 34 days and "working on applications received on April 14".
That means that my application should have been processed already.
Does anyone know what else can I do? I am really desperate, please help!
PS: I finished my course, this is just a bridge extension so I can apply for PGWP, if this takes too long I might lose my job offer.

Help please!

barroso26jonathan

May 29, 2018
I'm on the same page!! Submitted my application July 6th and today September 17th, it hasn't even confirmed. I have a job offer and I'm ready to start but I can't even. I may lose my job for this.

Just wondering when did you get your permit extension and did your employer wait for you?

Thanks,
Pat
In the end it worked out alright, they did wait for me, however it was a nightmare, countless sleepless nights. What I ended up doing is going to a port of entry, flagpoling and applying for a PGWP at the border. The officers at the border do in 15 min what CIC takes 60 days, so as soon as I got my extension I've gone there and it was the best thing I did.

Pat Chaisang

Sep 17, 2018
Thanks for getting back to me. Flagpoling sounds convenient I wish my visa didn't expire all together.

How long did your extension take in total? Did you escalate this to anyone at cic or just waited?

Thanks!

In the end it worked out alright, they did wait for me, however it was a nightmare, countless sleepless nights. What I ended up doing is going to a port of entry, flagpoling and applying for a PGWP at the border. The officers at the border do in 15 min what CIC takes 60 days, so as soon as I got my extension I've gone there and it was the best thing I did.

Roysu

Sep 19, 2018

Thanks,
Pat
I am in the same situation. I applied on AUG 1st. On the website, it says they are working on July 20th applications and on the phone service, it says July 27th. How come there is no update on your July 6th application?

Roysu

Sep 19, 2018
I contacted my local MP, someone at his office contacted a liaison agent inside IRCC. The agent said that until May 28 the application was still within the processing times (what?!), but now they are aware that it needs completion (!? really).
Well, that was unexpected, I though the processing times started to count from as soon as you receive the "transmitted" notification. In this case it was received on April 11 as well, so I just trusted it would come 35 days later.

Fingers crossed now to get it before 60 days (49 today).
Did talking to the MP help? Are the MPs usually cooperative in such situations?

Pat Chaisang

Sep 17, 2018
Yes, I know right! It shouldn't be taking this long. It's been 2.5 months for me. I called them multiple times, they said there is nothing they can do. They did put a note on my application though, statiing that it hasn't been worked on yet. But this still doesn't seem to make any difference.

I also tried writing them an email, they haven't even gotten back to me yet.

Honestly, permits are so important to many of us, especially those who can't move forward in their lives without it. IRCC seems to be so ignorant about it, what a shame.

Hope yours comes soon though. It may vary case by case.

I am in the same situation. I applied on AUG 1st. On the website, it says they are working on July 20th applications and on the phone service, it says July 27th. How come there is no update on your July 6th application?