+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to rent before you arrive?

Discussion in 'Housing' started by imatwkrp, Jun 16, 2010.

1. How would I know if the person is authorized to rent the place even if I meet him in person?

2. So how to make sure that the person is authorized to rent the place?

3. Hi,
    What do you mean proof of fund? Would a Canadian bank statement be sufficient?

4. It's difficult and very often you have to take the risk. Even you are able to identify the person you dealing with is the landlord (by asking him/her to provide you the supportings), there might be rental restrictions from strata council or city bylaws to evict you (in this case, you might be compensated by the landlord).

5. Many thanks for the info... Wouldn't be better then to go through a registered agent or MLS website? Additionally, would tenants pay commission to agents? Or it's the landlord responsibility?

6. I never used an agent for renting, so other members would be helpful to answer this commission question. MLS is mainly about buying real properties in Canada. In provinces such as BC, commission is paid by the seller. I'm not sure if it's better to go through a registered agent. Especially those little experienced licensed agents, they are not aware about city bylaws and therefore cannot advice you the risk.