+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get Family Reunification Letter from IRCC

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
I am an international student with an approved visa. I was supposed to fly to Canada yesterday with my wife (Work Visa) and my 2 kids (Visitor Visas) which were all included and approved in my regular stream Student Visa application.

At the airport, they were asking for a Reunification Letter from IRCC. Upon checking the website, it states the following:

Written authorization may be issued to facilitate family unity at the onset and allow for the whole family to travel together and establish residence in Canada. There is no requirement for the head of family (ex. a worker or student) to come to Canada first and the rest of the family travel at a later date with authorization letters to reunite in Canada.

Recommended documentation for travel

Documentation showing their immediate family member’s temporary resident status and their relationship to that family member, and written authorization from IRCC:

• Copy of the immediate family member’s work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit, or visitor record (please note that a visitor record may not be suitable to meet an exemption in all circumstances)
  • Relationship To Family Member
  • Written authorization from an IRCC officer.
    • IRCC will provide a letter to the foreign national to demonstrate to the airline that they are authorized to travel to Canada under this exemption. In situations where a foreign national arrives at a port of entry with an IRCC authorization letter for reuniting immediate family members, the purpose of travel will generally be considered non-discretionary as IRCC is only issuing such letters when travel is for a non-discretionary purpose. Foreign nationals must still continue to meet all regular eligibility and admissibility requirements for entry into Canada. As always, the final decision on admission to Canada is made by Border Services Officers at Canadian ports of entry, and in cases where new or conflicting information is provided at entry, Border Service Officers continue to apply their discretion.
So now, how do I request for one? I can't find any link or contact to do this.

Sanjar718

Apr 4, 2019
Montreal
Category........
QSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-08-2021
I think the embassy cant do anything here, im almost in the situation, i have closed wp and tourist visa for my wife and child

amazing.cool

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
I am an international student with an approved visa. I was supposed to fly to Canada yesterday with my wife (Work Visa) and my 2 kids (Visitor Visas) which were all included and approved in my regular stream Student Visa application.

At the airport, they were asking for a Reunification Letter from IRCC. Upon checking the website, it states the following:

Written authorization may be issued to facilitate family unity at the onset and allow for the whole family to travel together and establish residence in Canada. There is no requirement for the head of family (ex. a worker or student) to come to Canada first and the rest of the family travel at a later date with authorization letters to reunite in Canada.

Recommended documentation for travel

Documentation showing their immediate family member’s temporary resident status and their relationship to that family member, and written authorization from IRCC:

• Copy of the immediate family member’s work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit, or visitor record (please note that a visitor record may not be suitable to meet an exemption in all circumstances)
  • Relationship To Family Member
  • Written authorization from an IRCC officer.
    • IRCC will provide a letter to the foreign national to demonstrate to the airline that they are authorized to travel to Canada under this exemption. In situations where a foreign national arrives at a port of entry with an IRCC authorization letter for reuniting immediate family members, the purpose of travel will generally be considered non-discretionary as IRCC is only issuing such letters when travel is for a non-discretionary purpose. Foreign nationals must still continue to meet all regular eligibility and admissibility requirements for entry into Canada. As always, the final decision on admission to Canada is made by Border Services Officers at Canadian ports of entry, and in cases where new or conflicting information is provided at entry, Border Service Officers continue to apply their discretion.
So now, how do I request for one? I can't find any link or contact to do this.
Best option would be... you go first(reach Canada)... and let your spouse and kids fly in next flight or next day or so... this way...you don't need letter.

Sanjar718

Apr 4, 2019
Montreal
Category........
QSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-08-2021
Best option would be... you go first(reach Canada)... and let your spouse and kids fly in next flight or next day or so... this way...you don't need letter.
No, he needs letter anyway, and moreover he can and allowed travel with his family, its clearly written above.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They will need a letter if they will follow me.
Your family definitely needs the letter. Based on what we are seeing here, approval is generally not being granted for family members of temporary residents since this travel is being categorized as non-essential. Can your wife secure a job in Canada? Based on experiences here, if she can secure a job in Canada before traveling and provide proof she has a job waiting for her in Canada, she should be allowed to board.

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
Your family definitely needs the letter. Based on what we are seeing here, approval is generally not being granted for family members of temporary residents since this travel is being categorized as non-essential. Can your wife secure a job in Canada? Based on experiences here, if she can secure a job in Canada before traveling and provide proof she has a job waiting for her in Canada, she should be allowed to board.
My wife and I have already been approved for travel. My kids are the ones who need the letter. We were told by the immigration officer when we tried to travel last week. They already showed our documents to a Canadian liaison officer and was advised to get a letter for my kids. Since our travel is essential and we can't leave our kids alone, we should be approved in principle.

Reactions: sanjee881

Sanjar718

Apr 4, 2019
Montreal
Category........
QSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-08-2021
My wife and I have already been approved for travel. My kids are the ones who need the letter. We were told by the immigration officer when we tried to travel last week. They already showed our documents to a Canadian liaison officer and was advised to get a letter for my kids. Since our travel is essential and we can't leave our kids alone, we should be approved in principle.
Have you got any response from email to them? Have you sent email to IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca , how did it take to get reply from them?