+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to enter Canada while appeal of a removal order is in process

Wadiek

Sep 27, 2015
Msafiri said:
1. Yes you can enter visa the US in the manner you propose. This plan for you and all other PRs in a similar position depends on CBP admitting you into the US. I always wonder what would happen if a PR on report got bounced by CBP and thus closing off the land border entry option. This is why its best to remain in Canada until your appeal is decided. Once you make it to the Canadian border then CBSA must admit you as per constitutional right since you are a PR until your appeal is decided (subject to not subsequently becoming inadmissible for another reason e.g serious criminality for which no right of appeal exists and would supersede your current appeal)

2. If your appeal is on the margins it could (but may not) swing things in your favour. Its not considered on its own but in addition to all the other factors of the case primarily number of shortfall days, reasons for absence, what action if any you took to mitigate the absence etc which no one else but you is privy to. If you were absent for 5 years due to a better job some other place then working in Canada during the 'appeal' period is on its own unlikely to get you through. To address your concerns I wouldn't sweat the 'my time in Canada will be a waste if I don't win the appeal'. You will get professional/work experience and an income which is better than nothing...at least you have your PR status for x years...isn't this better than visitor status?

3. My humble opinion is that its best to deal with CIC (or any other immigration agency e.g CBP) on certainties as opposed to probables. If you get re-sponsored by your spouse subject to her meeting the criteria and you passing the relevant background and medical checks then its likely a certainty you will get PR afresh. You would need to withdraw your appeal and lose PR prior to any sponsorship taking place. That you have lost PR status before by RO breach is not an issue as opposed to say loss of PR due to criminality.

4. If you sit out to an appeal its probable you may get to keep your PR but its also probable you could lose it. You ought to know the odds based on your absence reasons. Its helpful I find to view a clear cut 'no report PR status' as the basic platform for citizenship. If your ultimate goal is to attain citizenship and never worry about the RO then the sooner you accumulate PR residence days the better. Do you want to do that now or after a potential appeal rejection and PR re-sponsorship?

5. Remember the immigration laws keep changing. What is your long term plan? Do you want to live in Canada? Some other place? It may be time to carry out a detailed self review and then act accordingly.

Good luck
Dear Misafiri,

Got one very important question, about my wife. Actually i landed in Jan 2011 when i was single. I got married to my wife on nov 2013, after then I sponsored her as a family class resident and she landed on jun 2014.

Now my question, for me being on a departure order and with the worst case scenario of loosing my appeal, does that put her residency status at risk (i.e cic give her a departure order after i loose my appeal) especially that she is a conditional permanent resident? Im asking this cause she is planning to meet her residency obligation and stay at least 2 out of 5 yrs and sponsor me back afterwards.
Thanks to advise as this is very important to us! Thanks

Wadiek

Sep 27, 2015
KITTI said:
Mr Safiri
A final question please. A taxi should be good no? To cross the border; it is not considered a commercial vehicle?
Thank you
Hi KITTI,
Did you make it to Canada from US borders ? Was it smooth, what borders do you pass through. Your answer will be very valuable to me as I am in the same exact situation. Thanks to share your experience.

Wadiek

Sep 27, 2015
Msafiri said:
IRPA

Enforceable removal order

48. (1) A removal order is enforceable if it has come into force and is not stayed.

In force

49. (1) A removal order comes into force on the latest of the following dates:
(a) the day the removal order is made, if there is no right to appeal;
(b) the day the appeal period expires, if there is a right to appeal and no appeal is made; and
(c) the day of the final determination of the appeal, if an appeal is made.

A departure order is a type of removal order.
Dear Misafiri,

Got one very important question, about my wife. Actually i landed in Jan 2011 when i was single. I got married to my wife on nov 2013, after then I sponsored her as a family class resident and she landed on jun 2014.

Now my question, for me being on a departure order and with the worst case scenario of loosing my appeal, does that put her residency status at risk (i.e cic give her a departure order after i loose my appeal) especially that she is a conditional permanent resident? Im asking this cause she is planning to meet her residency obligation and stay at least 2 out of 5 yrs and sponsor me back afterwards.
Thanks to advise as this is very important to us! Thanks

raka1

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
I think mr.misafiri is on vacation, that is why not responding to any questions from around a month.

hayatsalhi

Jan 17, 2016
Can I enter canada through US to attend my hearing... I have letter of hearing appeal by phone because I'm outside Canada.????

raka1

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hayatsalhi said:
Can I enter canada through US to attend my hearing... I have letter of hearing appeal by phone because I'm outside Canada.????
Yes u can.
First thing u must have your all appeal papers with u in original shape and u have to use rental car only. and try to get any canadian relative or friend with u in car or let them be ready on other side of border. because sometime they need any reference. But just some times, normally they will leave u after getting write the report.

Jasmine60

Oct 2, 2017
Dear Msafiri,
I have a PR card which will expire next year and I do not meet the RO.
I know that I might receive a departure order upon entry and I can appeal it. I have a question with that regard:
Imagine my PR card is expired, I have an appeal on file, I have lived in Canada since I received the departure order and now I need to leave Canada for a short stay abroad. How can I get back to Canada? Is there any way?

syahska

Star Member
May 13, 2016
Pardon me if my note here is not relevant. I have 14 days left on my PR to meet the obligation and my PR card is valid until My 2023. Unfortunately, my wife suffered a miscarriage in my home country 2 weeks ago when she was in her 3rd month and she is devastated. On hearing this news, my mum in law suffered a heart issue and was admitted in the ICU for a day. With all this, I plan to travel home fo 30 days including approval from my Canadian employer to work from my home country for 2 weeks. Will I have a problem to re-enter Canada when I return back. When will I be serve the removal notice. I moved into my new apartment 5 days ago and have a contract for 12 months. My Canadian job is there for sure and while I am in my home country, I will keep getting my salary. I will not meet my PR obligation but have to be with my wife for this short period to beget her out of the mental struggle she’s facing after the miscarriage. Will this be considered to be humanitarian and compassionate grounds. Please devise since I fly in 6 days to my home country.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Pardon me if my note here is not relevant. I have 14 days left on my PR to meet the obligation and my PR card is valid until My 2023. Unfortunately, my wife suffered a miscarriage in my home country 2 weeks ago when she was in her 3rd month and she is devastated. On hearing this news, my mum in law suffered a heart issue and was admitted in the ICU for a day. With all this, I plan to travel home fo 30 days including approval from my Canadian employer to work from my home country for 2 weeks. Will I have a problem to re-enter Canada when I return back. When will I be serve the removal notice. I moved into my new apartment 5 days ago and have a contract for 12 months. My Canadian job is there for sure and while I am in my home country, I will keep getting my salary. I will not meet my PR obligation but have to be with my wife for this short period to beget her out of the mental struggle she’s facing after the miscarriage. Will this be considered to be humanitarian and compassionate grounds. Please devise since I fly in 6 days to my home country.
There are no guarantees about how it will go when you return to Canada and are not in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

The odds are probably good it will go OK if you are returning to Canada after a short absence (month or less) and traveling with a valid PR card. (Super-important to not lose the PR card, so you can return to Canada without having to apply for a PR Travel Document.)

But there are many factors which can influence how this goes. How long you have actually been in Canada now, and the indications you are settling here to stay, can have a big influence. Obviously your family is not here, so this might not help you much. So, again, there is no guarantee.

It is also not clear just what your current factual situation is. If you became a PR in 2018, a big factor, perhaps the biggest factor, is how many days more than 1095 you have been outside Canada since the day you landed . . . as of the day you arrive back here.

I say this, and I am hoping I am not confusing you, because if you became a PR in 2018, and as of today you are 14 days short of meeting the Residency Obligation, if you leave Canada that number will increase. It will increase by the number of days you are abroad during this trip. If that seems confusing or you do not understand this, it might help to be more precise about the number of days you have been in Canada and the specific date you landed and became a PR.

To answer the question about whether the circumstances you describe will be considered "humanitarian and compassionate grounds," yes they will be "considered," but that does mean they will be for sure sufficient to get H&C relief for a breach of the Residency Obligation. Again, assuming you just became a PR in 2018, and are either 14 days short or say 44 days short (if the trip is for 30 days), and you have been living in Canada this past year, and you are traveling with a valid PR card, the best we can say is that the odds are good you will not be challenged about RO compliance when you return, and even if challenged, yes your reasons should help get waived through anyway.

And, just to be sure you are aware, even if you did get Reported when you return, you still get to enter Canada, go to your job, make an appeal, and probably have a decent chance to keep your PR status. (Again, assuming you landed and became a PR in 2018 and have been in Canada most of this last year.)

I hope your wife and her mother are OK and get well.

syahska

Star Member
May 13, 2016
There are no guarantees about how it will go when you return to Canada and are not in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

The odds are probably good it will go OK if you are returning to Canada after a short absence (month or less) and traveling with a valid PR card. (Super-important to not lose the PR card, so you can return to Canada without having to apply for a PR Travel Document.)

But there are many factors which can influence how this goes. How long you have actually been in Canada now, and the indications you are settling here to stay, can have a big influence. Obviously your family is not here, so this might not help you much. So, again, there is no guarantee.

It is also not clear just what your current factual situation is. If you became a PR in 2018, a big factor, perhaps the biggest factor, is how many days more than 1095 you have been outside Canada since the day you landed . . . as of the day you arrive back here.

I say this, and I am hoping I am not confusing you, because if you became a PR in 2018, and as of today you are 14 days short of meeting the Residency Obligation, if you leave Canada that number will increase. It will increase by the number of days you are abroad during this trip. If that seems confusing or you do not understand this, it might help to be more precise about the number of days you have been in Canada and the specific date you landed and became a PR.

To answer the question about whether the circumstances you describe will be considered "humanitarian and compassionate grounds," yes they will be "considered," but that does mean they will be for sure sufficient to get H&C relief for a breach of the Residency Obligation. Again, assuming you just became a PR in 2018, and are either 14 days short or say 44 days short (if the trip is for 30 days), and you have been living in Canada this past year, and you are traveling with a valid PR card, the best we can say is that the odds are good you will not be challenged about RO compliance when you return, and even if challenged, yes your reasons should help get waived through anyway.

And, just to be sure you are aware, even if you did get Reported when you return, you still get to enter Canada, go to your job, make an appeal, and probably have a decent chance to keep your PR status. (Again, assuming you landed and became a PR in 2018 and have been in Canada most of this last year.)

I hope your wife and her mother are OK and get well.
Hi there and thank you so much for your response. Let me be precise on the dates in Canada
Date of soft landing-7th apr 2021
Date of leaving Canada - 29th apr 2021
Re entry date - 27 Mar 2022
Date of exit to meet family - 13th Apr 2022
Reentry date - 29th apr 2022
Leave for home to be with wife - 11th May 2022
Get back to Canada - 12th Jun 2022
Will be in Canada after this return
Date of card expiry 7th May 2023

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi there and thank you so much for your response. Let me be precise on the dates in Canada
If you landed and became a Permanent Resident April 7, 2021, you are currently in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. No Residency Obligation worries for short trips outside Canada.

Based on a landing date of April 7, 2021, if you did not come back to Canada for another year you would still be OK with the RO.

During the first five years, a new PR will not be in breach (fall short) of RO compliance unless they are outside Canada for more than 1095 days. As long as there are enough days left in that first five year time period to be in Canada at least 730 days, the PR is in RO compliance, not short.

BUT there is this and that in your details that do not add up.

You said "I have 14 days left on my PR to meet the obligation." I cannot figure how you could get that from the details you just posted.

And then there is the date your PR card expires. We simply do not see PR cards with expiration dates like that. New PRs get a PR card valid for five years. So if you landed in April 2021, your PR card should not expire until sometime in 2026. So I am wondering if one of the dates is off, and if so, which one.

IRCC does sometimes issue one-year PR cards, but that would not be for a new PR.

Your details indicate you just got here in March but soon left and returned again barely a week ago. So you have a fresh personal experience in how Port-of-Entry officials are treating a PR in your situation.

The best I can offer with these details is to say, again, that if you landed, and became a Permanent Resident April 7, 2021, you are OK to come and go from Canada without worrying about the RO . . . for at least another year or more.

If you became a PR some other date, that will determine what the situation is.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based on your previous posts I think you did your soft landing on 7th apr 2018 and it sounds like you only reentered 27 March 2022. It looks like you will be short over a year of meeting your RO. I am sorry for your loss. Did you get married after your soft landing? If so, that could create quite a lot of complications if you also don’t meet your RO. Would add that you may lose your healthcare coverage and have to reapply because you won’t have met the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare even if you have a valid card.

syahska

Star Member
May 13, 2016
I cannot but thank you all for your immediate replies. I messed on the dates. Below are the times on Canada
Soft landing- 7th April 2018
Exit Canada after soft landing - 29th April 2018
Renter Canada - 27th March 2021
Travel back to home country for visit- 13th Dec 2021
Renter Canada - 29th Dec 2021
Current outbound trip back to be with family- 11th May 2022
Return back after spending time with family- 11th Jun 2022

with this you see I am short by 17days. While I returned in 2021
March, My flights booked in Jan 2021 were cancelled by the airlines due to the covid strain. I rebooked for Feb 2021, but then the government came with new regulations of mandated hotel quarantine 5days before my flight and there was no clarity on the mandated hotels. I had booked an Airbnb accommodation but then Airbnb was not allowed and hence had to cancel my trip on Feb- I lost Airbnb money since the host declined to reimburse despite knowing the situation. The area I had planned to stay in was declared a red zone. I then again rebooked for mar 2021 and landed here. For my planned trip on wed next week, my employer has understood the situation and granted me 30days of a combination of work from home and time off to be with family. I hope this helps.
To Canuck’s point, I got married in March 2016, applied for my PR in 2017 Feb, got my PR in aug 2017 and then did my soft landing in mar 2018.
I hope this clarifies. 2019 was a bad year to travel because covid had just started off and flights were getting cancelled. Since I’m the caretaker for my family, I could not take a chance travelling and coming down with covid since I did not have Ohip then and was scared if something happened to me, my family would struggle financially. While I applied for my pr in 2017, I had mentioned my wife as non- accompanying partner and paid her fees but her pr was rejected and no explanation was provided.
it’s been hard.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Nobody can tell you the exact chance that you will be able to make it in without getting reported.

If you follow through with the plan, from 7 April 2018 to 11 June 2022, you would have been out of the country for more than 1,111 days, way over 1,095.

Also, keep in mind that, if you are able to get in without getting reported, you will no longer be able to be in compliance with RO unless you stay in Canada for two years straight without leaving.

If you make it back without getting reported on 11 June 2022, you should not leave Canada until at least 12 June 2024, and you should not attempt to sponsor your wife or renew your PR card until then as well.

Since I’m the caretaker for my family, I could not take a chance travelling and coming down with covid since I did not have Ohip then and was scared if something happened to me, my family would struggle financially.
Ontario has been waiving the 90-day waiting period for OHIP since COVID. If you had come in 2020, you would be able to get OHIP coverage immediately from day-1.

syahska

Star Member
May 13, 2016
@meyakanor - I didnt get the calculation of 1111 days. I have been in Canada again from 27th Mar 2021-13th Dec 2021.Went to visit family on 13th and returned on 29th Dec. I am in Toronto since. You have me confused.