+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to bring a newborn child of a PR resident to Canada

rose_20

Jun 8, 2012
schumi252 said:
Hi I just wanted to include some additional information regarding PR for baby born outside canada.

Info:
My wife and I are both PR`s and have been staying in India. We also had a baby while in India and made plans to move to Canada from India.

After a info search and conversation with few members here (thanks to Awebus & Colinmeli), we figured that the direct way to do this is through a TRV visa.

Process:

1)Just prepare and gather the required documentation

-Check the official website for current info and also talk to VFS if you for more info
(http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/india/contact_us.html)
-Documents that I submitted were Baby`s Passport, birth certificate, photo, PR photo copies, coverletter, bank
statement printout, coverletter and documents that possibly substantiated claims made in my coverletter (eg; my
wifes bond letter with employer)

2) Coverletter:
- Explain reason for your stay in India. From what I understand try to avoid reasons related to business
responsibilities.
- You can focus on contract terms with your employer, your wifes educational program commitments, medical
reasons etc.
- Also, one smart thing to do is to mention that, incase of denial TRV visa for your baby, you can request them to
consider the application for TRP (Temporary resident permit)

3) Form filling:
- Although its pretty direct, I went to the VFS office to get assistance on filling forms. The service fee for that was I
think less than Rs 300 and its worth every penny.
- For reason for travelling, I mentioned "accompanying parents"
- The VFS rep suggested we apply for Multiple entry as its the same fee

4) One week after submitting our application, we received a request to submit medicals. This is straight forward, just go to the panel doctor and they will measure babys head size, length, weight etc and send it to CIC. Most of the doctors can transmit this info directly. So check if they can electronically transfer all details to the consulate directly when you setup your appointment.

5) Five days after submitting our medicals, our baby`s passport was dispatched to the VFS center. I went there to collect it and noticed that our baby was granted a multiple entry visa for one year.

So, I am sure there are lot more things to come and will keep you guys posted on it.

For any info that you think is not available online, let me know. For any documentation, form filling work etc contact VFS directly.

TC
Pr
Dear sir...we are in similar situation....my son is born in country outside canada...I have less than 2 years of pr left n I still have my sons passport to be made.kindly throw lite on the procedure...
We haven't met with pro....n I have to apply for trv...
Should I apply for trp on cover letter first time along with application for trv?
Should I pay fee of 200cad along with it?
Should I mention the reason along with request on H/c grounds?
Many thanks

prkp2011

Aug 4, 2014
hi need urgent advice

I went to vfs office for submitting trv for my son and the official asked me to apply for a travel document for myself and wife as it is the new rule it seems....is it required to apply for travel documents while holding a valid pr card which has expiry in may 2017...Bcoz of that we couldn't apply for our son...plz reply....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prkp2011 said:
hi need urgent advice

I went to vfs office for submitting trv for my son and the official asked me to apply for a travel document for myself and wife as it is the new rule it seems....is it required to apply for travel documents while holding a valid pr card which has expiry in may 2017...Bcoz of that we couldn't apply for our son...plz reply....
I have never heard of the need of a travel document for a PR with a valid PR card but the visa office possibly wants to make sure that you meet the RO before they let you take your child to Canada.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Leon said:
I have never heard of the need of a travel document for a PR with a valid PR card but the visa office possibly wants to make sure that you meet the RO before they let you take your child to Canada.
It does seem like a peculiar requirement. It's also possible the VFS person didn't understand and simply created an "extra" requirement.

Reactions: drrishi

godsservant

Dec 11, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I need advice

Me and my wife are permanent Resident of Canada, living in Canada.

My child is born in India ( 3 months back ), and is in India at present with my wife.

I have got TRV for my new born daughter and plan to bring her to Canada in May end,

now to apply for my new born daughters Immigration,, should I do from India, or from canada,, when she arrives here

What's best option

Please advice

Thanks in advance

Cheers

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
godsservant said:
Me and my wife are permanent Resident of Canada, living in Canada.
This restricts your options. As permanent residents, to sponsor you must be in Canada. Thus, your only option will be to bring your daughter to Canada and then initiate sponsorship from there. Note that unless your child is admitted to Canada for at least 12 months, the paperwork will be forwarded to NDVO once you are approved as sponsor by CPC-M.

Your daughter does not need to be in India for the processing. Fortunately, CIC has been permitting people in Canada to obtain their COPR and counter-foil from Ottawa (due to the prohibition about shipping passports by mail outside India).

mer12

Feb 3, 2016
schumi252 said:
Hi! there,

Has there been any progress on PR. I needed some more info as I intend to give birth to my baby in India in June 2016. Hence wanted to know if you have succeeded in bringing your child to Canada.

Mer12

kenjiro

Dec 8, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon and other seniors,

I hope you can help me I have a similar though slightly different situation compared to the thread starter.

Our PR application was approved last August 14, 2015 (with my common-law partner and 2 kids).
I landed first and became PR on Sept. 12, 2015. My partner and kids will do their landing this coming April 19, 2016.

My common-law partner gave birth to our youngest only last January of 2016 so she (the youngest) is not included in our application.

Questions are:
1.) Do you think we'll be having a problem on their entry if my partner will declare/inform the immigration officer on their entry date that we have a new baby?
2.) Do the immigration officer have grounds to deny their entry because of our daughter who is not included in our application because she was still unborn on that time?
3.) As a Permanent Resident father, can we just tell the immigration officer that I will just sponsor her in a later time?

Please let me know your thoughts about this as this situation really makes me worry about what will gonna happen on their entry next month.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kenjiro said:
Hi Leon and other seniors,

I hope you can help me I have a similar though slightly different situation compared to the thread starter.

Our PR application was approved last August 14, 2015 (with my common-law partner and 2 kids).
I landed first and became PR on Sept. 12, 2015. My partner and kids will do their landing this coming April 19, 2016.

My common-law partner gave birth to our youngest only last January of 2016 so she (the youngest) is not included in our application.

Questions are:
1.) Do you think we'll be having a problem on their entry if my partner will declare/inform the immigration officer on their entry date that we have a new baby?
2.) Do the immigration officer have grounds to deny their entry because of our daughter who is not included in our application because she was still unborn on that time?
3.) As a Permanent Resident father, can we just tell the immigration officer that I will just sponsor her in a later time?

Please let me know your thoughts about this as this situation really makes me worry about what will gonna happen on their entry next month.

Big problem and you should be very careful with this.

They should not land on the visas they have. Read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/refuse.asp section on changes in family composition. It says:

All family members must be examined as part of the e-APR, whether they are accompanying the principal applicant or not. Family members can be added to the application at any time during the process, including after the visa is issued, but prior to obtaining permanent resident status. Applicants are instructed to inform CIC immediately if their family composition has changed (e.g., birth of a child, marriage, divorce).
Because immigration law requires ALL family members to be examined BEFORE landing, they take it very seriously when a new family member joins your family and you do not inform them and add the person to your application before landing.

Landing without informing them is seen as misrepresentation. If your partner tells them only about the new baby when she wants to land next month, they will most likely stop her from landing and cancel her visa. If she doesn't tell them, she will be guilty of misrepresentation and can lose her PR and could be banned from Canada for 2 years.

The correct process in this case is to inform the visa office immediately that you have a new baby and that you need to add the new baby to your application to get a visa for her too. You need to re-do all documents where the new baby is mentioned and pay her fees too. You need her to get medicals. Your partner and older children may need to do medicals again if their medicals expire (1 year). This will delay their visas by at least a few months but there is no alternative here.

You were lucky that you landed before your baby was born. If you had landed after she was born and not informed immigration, you would be in big trouble.

• Love
Reactions: kenjiro and drrishi

kenjiro

Dec 8, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So you mean that i might also need to cancel and/or re-schedule their flight on a later date as it is more likely that this will also delay their visas for a few months?
Good thing i opened it up here, as I really don't know exactly what to do until now. I should've asked this earlier when I still have more time.

Thank you so much Leon for a quick and detailed answer regarding our situation, I can't imagine how my partner and I would feel if we experienced those things that you've mentioned if we stick to our plan of informing the officer on the time of their landing.

Again, thank you so much! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kenjiro said:
So you mean that i might also need to cancel and/or re-schedule their flight on a later date as it is more likely that this will also delay their visas for a few months?
Good thing i opened it up here, as I really don't know exactly what to do until now. I should've asked this earlier when I still have more time.

Thank you so much Leon for a quick and detailed answer regarding our situation, I can't imagine how my partner and I would feel if we experienced those things that you've mentioned if we stick to our plan of informing the officer on the time of their landing.

Again, thank you so much! :)
Yes, it would be best to contact the visa office asap and tell them that you had a baby in January and only just found out that you need to add your baby to your application before landing. It would be best to cancel the flights and let the visa office reply to you. In the meantime, you can go through your entire application package and look for forms where the baby might be mentioned and re-do those forms, get the baby a passport if she doesn't already have one and pay her immigration fees and send the extra form to the visa office with your file number stating that you are adding a baby to your application. The baby will need to have medicals. Your family may have to get 2nd medicals. It will all take some time.

• Love
Reactions: kenjiro and drrishi