+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply open work permit

VancouverIsland

May 2, 2018
I know this question has been asked before but i couldnt find the right answer
im currently sponsoring my hubby and want to know how to apply work permit
we already finished inland sponsorship application but we wanna include the open work permit as well
please someone give me clear instruction for applying on paper
thanks in advance

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Open work permits for spouses or common-law partners in Canada
If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada class, you may qualify for an open work permit while your application for permanent residence is being processed. You can submit your application for an open work permit together with your application for permanent residence, or after you apply.

How do I apply for an open work permit?

Application for work permit inside Canada – extend, change conditions or initial work permit – includes open work permits

Guide 5553 - Applying for a work permit inside Canada – extend, change conditions, initial and open work permits

Reactions: VancouverIsland

VancouverIsland

May 2, 2018
Open work permits for spouses or common-law partners in Canada
If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada class, you may qualify for an open work permit while your application for permanent residence is being processed. You can submit your application for an open work permit together with your application for permanent residence, or after you apply.

How do I apply for an open work permit?

Application for work permit inside Canada – extend, change conditions or initial work permit – includes open work permits

Guide 5553 - Applying for a work permit inside Canada – extend, change conditions, initial and open work permits
Thank you!
my hubby`s passport expired long time ago. The pdf document doesnt allow us to put expire date . it should be greater than today it says. what should we do? thanks again!

VancouverIsland

May 2, 2018
Passport
Question 4
Enter the date your passport or travel document will expire.

The passport expiry date is a mandatory field.......not sure but maybe you fill a future date and include a note to explain.
i will do that!
also how do we pay the workpermit fee? inlucindg holder fee online?
thanks for your help!

Earthangel

Nov 3, 2018
Hello,

I am new to this forum.

1) Is it wise or feasible to try and get a work permit to go to Canada, then do my application for immigration.
2) Is it easy for a foreigner to get jobs through the work permit route.
3) Are persons with visitors visa allowed to work in the country

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Thank you!
my hubby`s passport expired long time ago. The pdf document doesnt allow us to put expire date . it should be greater than today it says. what should we do? thanks again!
How did he apply for a PR with an expired passport? He needs a valid passport. Even in the PR forms, he needed to send in copies of relevant pages in the passport, he needed to put in his passport info in several places, and he'll later need to send in a valid passport once the process is completed.

If his passport expired since you sent in the application, get it renewed asap and then update CIC with the new passport information.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hello,

I am new to this forum.

1) Is it wise or feasible to try and get a work permit to go to Canada, then do my application for immigration.
2) Is it easy for a foreigner to get jobs through the work permit route.
3) Are persons with visitors visa allowed to work in the country
1) Are you looking to apply for a PR through the family class or a different stream? If a different one, you should look for advice in the relevant forum section as this one is for the family class.

2) You mean is it easy to get jobs in Canada once you have a work permit? Like anywhere, it depends on your work experience, qualifications, who you know, how picky you are with jobs, etc.

3) You are not allowed to work as a visitor.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you!
There is no point in applying for the OWP; without status and without a valid passport, he is not eligible. Also note that he will not be granted PR without a valid passport.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
i will do that!
also how do we pay the workpermit fee? inlucindg holder fee online?
thanks for your help!
inland spousal sponsorship will be processed and approved if PA has status or is out-of status......but OWP submitted with inland spousal sponsorship will not be approved if the PA is out-of-status as at the time the application was received.

You don't need to include a passport when you apply for inland spousal sponsorship, as passport could be submitted later....refer checklist.....however, for OWP, the PA needs to have status, so expired passport may be a problem.

Your hubby passport is expired....whats your hubby current status.....and how soon can the passport be renewed ?

VancouverIsland

May 2, 2018
my hubby was refugee claimant and he gave his passport to CIC when he applied as refugee. They gave him certified copy of it which we included in the application folder. He now is out of status for 3-4 years. You guys think he shouldnt apply work permit? and how will he get new passport? Will CIC require valid passport before they grant for PR? Im so confused!

Do we need to print and send Document Checklist also?

Last edited:

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
His refugee claim got denied? Did he receive an exclusion order?

You do need to print and include the document checklist. You should also make sure you read the guide to the application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
my hubby was refugee claimant and he gave his passport to CIC when he applied as refugee. They gave him certified copy of it which we included in the application folder. He now is out of status for 3-4 years. You guys think he shouldnt apply work permit? and how will he get new passport? Will CIC require valid passport before they grant for PR? Im so confused!

Do we need to print and send Document Checklist also?
He needs a valid passport to apply for a work permit.

As for how he will get a new passport, this depends on his country of origin and their processes for obtaining passports while in another country. Many countries will not issue a new passport unless you have status in the country where you are residing now. You'll have to look into the specific processes for your husband's country.

VancouverIsland

May 2, 2018
He does not know if he received exclusion order. So basically he needs valid passport to get his PR if he gets approved? And he had open work permit before so is there any chance he get new one if he apply without status? Thanks for answers! This forum helps me a lot! Even lawyers can not answer like you guys(there may be lawyers too behind the posts idk lol sorry)! thanks a lot

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
He does not know if he received exclusion order. So basically he needs valid passport to get his PR if he gets approved? And he had open work permit before so is there any chance he get new one if he apply without status? Thanks for answers! This forum helps me a lot! Even lawyers can not answer like you guys(there may be lawyers too behind the posts idk lol sorry)! thanks a lot
You need legal status (or implied legal status) in order to apply for a work permit. If he's out of status, he will not get it and he will need to wait for approval in principal on his PR app to apply. This approval comes about a month before the PR process is complete so it's not even worth it to apply at that point anyway.