+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How Residency Calculator calculates days

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
I will be eligible to apply for citizenship soon and entered all info as required in Residency Calculator and it seems like I am eligible now.

Why my calculations do not match the Calculator's is because of the way we calculate. For example, if I leave Canada on Feb 6 and return on Feb 9 I counted this as a 3-day absence but the Calculator states it's a 2-day absence.

This is not a question, just a comment for those who might have calculated their absences like me: you could be eligible earlier than you thought.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Godzilla9 said:
I will be eligible to apply for citizenship soon and entered all info as required in Residency Calculator and it seems like I am eligible now.

Why my calculations do not match the Calculator's is because of the way we calculate. For example, if I leave Canada on Feb 6 and return on Feb 9 I counted this as a 3-day absence but the Calculator states it's a 2-day absence.

This is not a question, just a comment for those who might have calculated their absences like me: you could be eligible earlier than you thought.
1. Because the calculator shows the 6th and the 9th as days in Canada, so only the 7th and 8th are outside.

tmota

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Montreal - Quebec
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Basically, they give us "free" days upon leaving/reentering Canada because there's no register on the exact time. So, if you leave Canada on Feb 6th 23h00, you could argue that you spent most of that day in the country. The same for returning, if you were to return on the wee hours of the morning. If you leave and reenter the same day or the next, the official calculator shows zero. I adjusted my calculations once I experimented with the dates on the CIC website to be sure. Effectively, I shaved a few days off my application.