+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long notification of citizenship test prior to the test date?

hungkubu

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am currently outside Canada,
1. Can you please advise how long notification of citizenship test prior to the test date?
2. Is it possible I can make a short trip back to Canada for the test date?
3. If I want to reschedule the test date, how long does it take after I make the request?
Please advise,

Thanks,

Last edited:

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
In a nutshell, no one knows for sure. In the past, you would normally get an email inviting you to the test a few days before the date but it's up to the IRCC how many days they would provide. If you have to re-schedule the test, timing for the second test can be anything from a few days to a month or two. You might want to look at the timeline for the 2019 tests to give you an idea: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V2kMI1QtzlMj8k4shG0IBLnS8GqOhoJDkem5HloNe0I/edit#gid=270862106

However, currently there are no tests whatsoever, and when they begin testing again, timing of their notifications would be difficult to predict.

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
As far as I understand from pre-COVID days it was anywhere between 1 and 3 weeks ahead. Now if they were to re-start the testing on-line, but with the same requirement as in the virtual oath of being physically present in the country (for which I see no logical reason as with the Oath applicants are required to destroy their PR card which serves as a travel document) that could pass for you, but in an event of in-person testing you might find yourself in a tight spot having to self-isolate for 14 days and not making it for the test because of that. Things change fast these days, but I'd say in your case you would probably need to re-schedule the originally proposed date if you were to physically fly to Canada and take an in-person test and interview. In all other circumstances, i.e. an on-line test w/out the requirement of physical presence in the country or an on-line test with the requirement of your physical presence in the country you could make it with the originally proposed date. Again, should you have to fly in you need to make sure that the country you are in now allows people out... So many things to consider :) In any case, I sadly don't believe IRCC would resume testing any time soon anyways, so you should be good.

Reactions: hungkubu