+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to update Nexus after I receive Canadian citizenship?

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
This is so confusing. I went into Vancouver and was told that I don’t need a new card even though I was giving up my old citizenship and acquiring Canadian. They just took a copy of my passport and nexus and said it would be updated in 5 business days. I guess I’ll check in a week and go in again...
I guess it probably depends on your original nationality. If you are American, then there is no problem since American citizens are entitled to be NEXUS member without Canadian citizenship or residency. In my case, however, I was told that I was eligible to be a NEXUS member only as PR of Canada. But now I'm not a PR any longer, so I need a new card that says I'm Canadian.

I'm not buying the story 100%, since the card did not report anywhere that I was a PR, so I don't see much of a difference between not reporting my PR (which was the condition allowing me to participate to the program) and not reporting my Canadian citizenship. I don't mind having the card re-printed, what I don't understand is why I couldn't use the old card in the meantime. I just hope I get the new card quickly.

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
I guess it probably depends on your original nationality. If you are American, then there is no problem since American citizens are entitled to be NEXUS member without Canadian citizenship or residency. In my case, however, I was told that I was eligible to be a NEXUS member only as PR of Canada. But now I'm not a PR any longer, so I need a new card that says I'm Canadian.

I'm not buying the story 100%, since the card did not report anywhere that I was a PR, so I don't see much of a difference between not reporting my PR (which was the condition allowing me to participate to the program) and not reporting my Canadian citizenship. I don't mind having the card re-printed, what I don't understand is why I couldn't use the old card in the meantime. I just hope I get the new card quickly.
That makes sense, I was eligible only as a PR as well so I’m in the same boat as you. Just worried that the counter person said something to just be rid of me since I didn’t actually meet with a CBSA or CBP agent to get the docs updated, it happened right in the entry line.

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
Just to give an update here - my Canadian passport was updated on file for me after 5 days as they said. No new card was sent and my status still shows as active. I was not charged for a new card either. Have not yet tried to travel on the nexus.

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
Wtf!! My record was updated within minutes, but the took the card from me and told me I would need to request a new one. I really don't understand why I couldn't continue using the old card in the meantime. I hope on Sunday I won't have to wait forever to get back into Canada. Really pissed me off.

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
Yeah I don’t understand why we have such opposite experiences- hopefully they don’t tell me I need a new card the first time I try to use it.

VFX_man

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
You just go to a NEXUS enrollment center and bring your new Canadian passport. Tell them of your status change and give them the passport and NEXUS card. They will update your information right then and there, give you back your docs, and that is it. You current card is still active, you don't get a new card or anything. Very easy.

Note that you don't even need to schedule an interview. I did it at Pearson airport as a drop-in visit. The only thing that took time was waiting in the line.
FYI -- Just visited the new Nexus center in Vancouver on Main street this morning [Nov. 8, 2018] and the receptionist copied my Nexus card and my new Canadian passport. He said it could take up to 10 days to have it entered in the system and not to use the card until I could verify that the update was done -- by logging into my account on-line and checking.

aQuarius16

Jan 12, 2018
Ok so I'm a little confused about my experience today. I just obtained Canadian citizenship this month so I went to the enrollment centre today to have my new citizenship status updated.

It was an easy enough process and I queried whether I required a new card with my Canadian status on it and was told yes and that he would need to keep my old card. I was told to go online and request a new card and that I'd have to pay $25, but then after photocopying my passport and nexus card he gave both documents back.

I just logged in and my Canadian passport is now listed in my account, however it still says my citizenship is that of my birth country.

Will that update separately? Or will it stay that way if I don't request a new card? It seems strange that my Canadian passport details are visible but my citizenship hasn't changed...