+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How is life in Toronto for people who moved from the US?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not if you are already pregnant in Ontario. Assume you will be less than 3 months until your due date when you move.

Last edited:

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
It says it's a "Supplemental health Insurance" with 90% reimbursement of hospitalization. I am still doubtful if they LL cover me if I am already pregnant before an added to the policy
I think supplementary health insurance is something that covers what is not covered by provincial plan. For example, most provinces won't pay for drugs and supplementary insurance would cover that. In the same way, there would be some procedures/treatment that won't be covered by the province, and supplementary insurance would cover it up. This is something you can expect to continue even after OHIP kicks in and is provided to most of the corporate workforce.

You really need to check if pregnancy would be covered by this or not because pregnancy is something that is usually covered by province.

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
That's incorrect. Everyone returning to Ontario from outside Canada, even citizens, need to wait 3 months to have their OHIP start. Would highly recommend keeping your car if you afford it with a small child. If you are only looking to spend $1500 you won't be downtown.
When we were landing in SK in 2012, we didn't buy any insurance and got a confirmation from Saskatchewan Health department that we are covered from day 1 of landing. Maybe ON is different, but I don't imagine it would be. I even found an email from back then:

"Temporary Foreign Workers must have valid work permit to be considered for public health insurance. Their health insurance coverage begins from the date they establish residence in Saskatchewan. Health costs incurred from their date of arrival and residence establishment in Saskatchewan to when they actually receive health insurance card may be reimbursed. The insurance benefit is retroactive to the date they establish their residence in the province."

As I said, I can't say 100% how it is in Ontario now days, this was from Saskatchewan 6 years ago... I would send an email to Service Ontario and simply ask them. Maybe it's also retroactive and even if you have to pay first, they would reimburse you when you are here 3 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When we were landing in SK in 2012, we didn't buy any insurance and got a confirmation from Saskatchewan Health department that we are covered from day 1 of landing. Maybe ON is different, but I don't imagine it would be. I even found an email from back then:

"Temporary Foreign Workers must have valid work permit to be considered for public health insurance. Their health insurance coverage begins from the date they establish residence in Saskatchewan. Health costs incurred from their date of arrival and residence establishment in Saskatchewan to when they actually receive health insurance card may be reimbursed. The insurance benefit is retroactive to the date they establish their residence in the province."

As I said, I can't say 100% how it is in Ontario now days, this was from Saskatchewan 6 years ago... I would send an email to Service Ontario and simply ask them. Maybe it's also retroactive and even if you have to pay first, they would reimburse you when you are here 3 months.
Google OHIP. 100% sure there is a 3 month wait time even for citizens returning from abroad.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Yes even my research said OHIP won't kick in until after 3 months from the day of applying. I was hoping my husband's policy would cover me. I am checking with his HR on the clarity of the employer's policy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes even my research said OHIP won't kick in until after 3 months from the day of applying. I was hoping my husbdhusb policy would cover me. I am checking with his HR on the clarity of the employer's policy
Good idea. Many US workers tend to delay moving until the baby is born if they are moving to Ontario close to the birth. Unfortunately then you would have to pay for the baby's health cost for probably around 8 months. Usually less expensive than the mother's delivery and prenatal/postpartum costs.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Good idea. Many US workers tend to delay moving until the baby is born if they are moving to Ontario close to the birth. Unfortunately then you would have to pay for the baby's health cost for probably around 8 months. Usually less expensive than the mother's delivery and prenatal/postpartum costs.
Yes may be I should just go to SK or jova Scotia where coverage begins on day 1 .adding pregnancy to the move definitely makes things complicated

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You would have to stay in SK for at least 6 months but maybe more. Trying to deliver in a province that offers coverage immediately is something they watch for. Often the wordings indicate that you need to intend to make your home in a certain province to get coverage. If you don't stay over 6 months or more you will be asked to reimburse all the costs.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
You would have to stay in SK for at least 6 months but maybe more. Trying to deliver in a province that offers coverage immediately is something they watch for. Often the wordings indicate that you need to intend to make your home in a certain province to get coverage. If you don't stay over 6 months or more you will be asked to reimburse all the costs.
Ya that's true. Hmmmm so much for thinking life will be all good if I get Canada PR :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ya that's true. Hmmmm so much for thinking life will be all good if I get Canada PR :)
People have unrealistic expectations. Yes it is better than many other countries but doesn't mean that people don't struggle in Canada and that life will be better. Just depends on where you are coming from.

Reactions: Jancy

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
There are always pros and cons... We came from Europe (Ireland), where we both had jobs and life wasn't bad. But I wouldn't want to go back there now. I like the health care here, diversity of restaurants and people in general... And in most companies you have a room to grow with education support.
In Ireland you have to pay 40 or 50 Euro every time you go to the doctor, even if it's simple sniffles. Here, I found hospital care outstanding (if you have realistic expectations) and it was free.
Yes, car insurance in GTA is outrages, but it's caused by the amount of accidents and claims. Unfortunately people that have no clue how to drive get licenses easily...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are always pros and cons... We came from Europe (Ireland), where we both had jobs and life wasn't bad. But I wouldn't want to go back there now. I like the health care here, diversity of restaurants and people in general... And in most companies you have a room to grow with education support.
In Ireland you have to pay 40 or 50 Euro every time you go to the doctor, even if it's simple sniffles. Here, I found hospital care outstanding (if you have realistic expectations) and it was free.
Yes, car insurance in GTA is outrages, but it's caused by the amount of accidents and claims. Unfortunately people that have no clue how to drive get licenses easily...
Also lots of insurance fraud.

Reactions: Pixiegirl

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Yes may be I should just go to SK or jova Scotia where coverage begins on day 1 .adding pregnancy to the move definitely makes things complicated
Why would you go there? Go to Alberta as it has much higher opportunities generally than those places and covers from day 1 if you are moving from different country. If you plan to do that, land in Calgary for safer side, even if you're moving later.. taxes are also bit lower I guess.