+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How is life in Toronto for people who moved from the US?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I see you are expecting a baby. Given it seems like you will also be paying for the delivery and you won't qualify for maternity payments (they are not very generous) you will likely have to make sacrifices. Not uncommon for most Canadian new parents.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
But then am hoping this is just a starter job and we will be able to do better once we gain some Canadian experience. In the longer run, choosing Canada seems better
Even I am hoping the same. After people who come to US onsite as senior developers come with 65k to 75k salary bracket in US too. They either better the salary moving jobs or with promotions etc.With PR, one should probably have better options with more local experience and networks.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Exactly @DEEPCUR . We live in midwest suburbs and we would be earning almost the same in Toronto downtown of course without taking conversion into account, but would be paying twice as much in rent for a much smaller place. And looks like we have to give up the car if we don't want to pay the exorbitant insurance fees and parking charges. It's almost disheartening to leaving a comfortable life in US and move to Canada. If only US immigration was better. Sigh!!
You can stay in GTA and keep the car. You will get used to insurance and all that. Also the next job for your spouse could be outside downtown, and if it is in a place that is not accessible by public transport, car would be must. Giving up car would bring down your quality of life even further.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Even I am hoping the same. After people who come to US onsite as senior developers come with 65k to 75k salary bracket in US too. They either better the salary moving jobs or with promotions etc.With PR, one should probably have better options with more local experience and networks.
Yes, when are you planning to move?

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
You can stay in GTA and keep the car. You will get used to insurance and all that. Also the next job for your spouse could be outside downtown, and if it is in a place that is not accessible by public transport, car would be must. Giving up car would bring down your quality of life even further.
But given the duty and taxes to import and the insurance you would be paying, it seemed to buy a car later if and when we move out of GTA seems like a better option. You won't believe, I tried an auto insurance quote for the GTA area for just one of my cars and the minimum quote I got was for CAD 4000 a year. I am paying USD $1200 for two cars and two drivers now in the US

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
I am not trying to be negative with this thread. It's just the compromises that one has to make when one moves from US to Canada for a stable life

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
But given the duty and taxes to import and the insurance you would be paying, it seemed to buy a car later if and when we move out of GTA seems like a better option. You won't believe, I tried an auto insurance quote for the GTA area for just one of my cars and the minimum quote I got was for CAD 4000 a year. I am paying USD $1200 for two cars and two drivers now in the US
That sounds right... If you don't have Canadian driving experience and live in GTA, the cost of car insurance is massive.
I remember leaving in SK (other province) and paying only like $1000 for a newcomer.

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
I see you are expecting a baby. Given it seems like you will also be paying for the delivery and you won't qualify for maternity payments (they are not very generous) you will likely have to make sacrifices. Not uncommon for most Canadian new parents.
If you land in Canada with PR (or even on a visa), you apply for Health Card straight away. Delivering baby doesn't cost you anything in ON and if you don't have benefits, the ward room for postpartum recovery is free also (usually few woman in one room, but if you are lucky and there are not many deliveries on the same day, you might end up alone in the room anyway). Only if you want semi- or private room, you have to pay extra per day.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Did you check my initial response in this thread? You don't need to pay duty and taxes to import the car if you declare it in your goods to follow form while landing. As a first time settlers, PR holders can bring any amount of things including car duty/tax free.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Did you check my initial response in this thread? You don't need to pay duty and taxes to import the car if you declare it in your goods to follow form while landing. As a first time settlers, PR holders can bring any amount of things including car duty/tax free.
Wow that's great to know. Sorry I missed your previous comment. That really takes the stress off

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Yes
If you land in Canada with PR (or even on a visa), you apply for Health Card straight away. Delivering baby doesn't cost you anything in ON and if you don't have benefits, the ward room for postpartum recovery is free also (usually few woman in one room, but if you are lucky and there are not many deliveries on the same day, you might end up alone in the room anyway). Only if you want semi- or private room, you have to pay extra per day.
Yes we checked and my husband's employer has health coverage for me too. So I am not stressed about it if OHIP doesn't kick start before the delivery

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's incorrect. Everyone returning to Ontario from outside Canada, even citizens, need to wait 3 months to have their OHIP start. Would highly recommend keeping your car if you afford it with a small child. If you are only looking to spend $1500 you won't be downtown.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes

Yes we checked and my husband's employer has health coverage for me too. So I am not stressed about it if OHIP doesn't kick start before the delivery
Have you checked whether it is only extended benefits. Unless it a special health plan as part of your resettlement package health care benefits in Canada do not involve hospital costs, doctors, etc

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Have you checked whether it is only extended benefits. Unless it a special health plan as part of your resettlement package health care benefits in Canada do not involve hospital costs, doctors, etc
It says it's a "Supplemental health Insurance" with 90% reimbursement of hospitalization. I am still doubtful if they LL cover me if I am already pregnant before an added to the policy