+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How is life in Toronto for people who moved from the US?

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
My husband and I received our COPR last week and fortunately an intra company transfer is working out for my husband. If everything goes well, we will move in a couple of months. We live in the US now. Can anyone who settled before in the toronto area, help us get answers for these questions?

1. What is a good neighbourhood with Indian communities and affordable apartments? Whats is the average rent of a 2 bedroom apartment in these areas?

2. Is it advisable to bring your car from the US? I assume you will have to pay for parking and the car insurance is high? (We live in suburbian US now and have no issues with parking or insurance cost)

3. Any other things we should be aware of, moving from US?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
"Affordable" apartments? Maybe Hamilton? People's definition of affordable varies. What is your budget?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would focus on apartment location based on where your office is located otherwise you could be commuting for multiple hours a day or even one direction.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
We are thinking a max of $1500 ?! And how about having and maintaining a car in Toronto? Is it advisable?!

musicholic

Apr 19, 2018
We are thinking a max of $1500 ?! And how about having and maintaining a car in Toronto? Is it advisable?!
The insurance charges in Canada are higher than US. However, insurance is a fixed cost (cannot be avoided). Price of a car in Canada is also higher than that of US. I am not sure as to how much tax/duty you have to pay upon entry of that car into Canada. But I would highly recommend that you do a cost analysis and then take a call.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Toronto is a big city. If you live in the suburbs, then you will more than likely need a car. If you live downtown, you don't really need one. The cost of maintenance is comparable to the US, but the insurance costs are much, much higher.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
My husband and I received our COPR last week and fortunately an intra company transfer is working out for my husband. If everything goes well, we will move in a couple of months. We live in the US now. Can anyone who settled before in the toronto area, help us get answers for these questions?

1. What is a good neighbourhood with Indian communities and affordable apartments?
Why not trying to fully integrate? You can have Indian community in India..

Reactions: Jakev

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on where you are coming from in the US the housing prices in Toronto might be a bit of a shock. Would look at your commute as the major factor in your choice of apartment.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017

1. What is a good neighbourhood with Indian communities and affordable apartments? Whats is the average rent of a 2 bedroom apartment in these areas?

2. Is it advisable to bring your car from the US? I assume you will have to pay for parking and the car insurance is high? (We live in suburbian US now and have no issues with parking or insurance cost)

3. Any other things we should be aware of, moving from US?
Scarborough it is- don’t look any further. It’s well-connected to the Downtown as opposed to Brampton or Mississauga. Also meets your checklist for Indian communities.

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
Honestly, I haven't seen an apartment that is less than 1500 unless it's in very bad shape or in someones basement. (And I'm in Mississauga, which is an hour from Toronto and prices are considered lower)
Check out kijiji.ca for rentals (you can pick your neighborhood). You can find a lot of things there, from furniture to cars and buying houses.

Reactions: Jakev

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
In addition to the aforesaid, FB marketplace is another terrific option to scout for these.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Why Canada has this terrible housing market despite low wages compared to US? In US, wages and housing market kinda go hand in hand. Like in California where housing prices are high, wages are significantly high too. In Toronto, people get paid somewhat like in Texas whereas housing costs are as crazy as California.

Higher taxes compared to US are justifiable for healthcare and social benefits, but how could someone moving from US convince themselves for crazy housing prices when the wages are already significantly lower compared to US?

Reactions: Jakev and qureishi

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Why Canada has this terrible housing market despite low wages compared to US? In US, wages and housing market kinda go hand in hand. Like in California where housing prices are high, wages are significantly high too. In Toronto, people get paid somewhat like in Texas whereas housing costs are as crazy as California.

Higher taxes compared to US are justifiable for healthcare and social benefits, but how could someone moving from US convince themselves for crazy housing prices when the wages are already significantly lower compared to US?
The housing market has been purely driven by irrational speculation by both foreign investors and local Canadians that went mad with low interest rates. Now that rates are rising, and curbs have been implemented against foreign buyers, you can expect a lot of pain and for prices to continue to drop for several years to come.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017

Exactly @DEEPCUR . We live in midwest suburbs and we would be earning almost the same in Toronto downtown of course without taking conversion into account, but would be paying twice as much in rent for a much smaller place. And looks like we have to give up the car if we don't want to pay the exorbitant insurance fees and parking charges. It's almost disheartening to leaving a comfortable life in US and move to Canada. If only US immigration was better. Sigh!!

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018

The problem is that people agree to pay ridiculous prices for properties. Same type of house can cost between 200 - 1,200,000 depending on location in Canada (if you compare for example mid size city in NS and GTA in ON).
But the bubble will burst at some point (same as it did in Europe) where people will be surprised that the house they bought for 1.5 million is really only worth 300,000, but bank still wants the million.

Wages are a completely different story... If you have a good trade or higher education, you can afford to live comfortable and not worry to meet needs ends. But if you only have a minimum wage job, you won't survive in GTA. Simple as that.

If you are going to move to Canada, make sure there is demand in job market for your profession and if possible, choose to live in smaller city/town that prices are bearable.