+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does US Experience/Education Actually Help in Express Entry Process?

CLT2Canada

Jan 9, 2019
I am trying to understand how does expericne of working and studying in the US help one become eligible for fast-track immigration to Canada or be able to work in Canada on a work permit.

I did Express Entry Assessment and learned that my degree (Both Undergrad and Graduate from USA Universities) and close to 15 years of work experince (8 years full time in US Fortune 500 companies) still got me under 350 points.

Can anyone help me understand how can I present my 15+ years US experinces (Social/Academic & Professional) help me?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Nothing for US education or work experience because it is Canadian immigration,and not US immigration. If you already have master degree, try to score 8777 in LRWS of IELTS. That is the maximum you could get unless you want to spend years learning French.

CLT2Canada

Jan 9, 2019
Nothing for US education or work experience because it is Canadian immigration,and not US immigration. If you already have master degree, try to score 8777 in LRWS of IELTS. That is the maximum you could get unless you want to spend years learning French.
The reason I was asking is due to the fact that Canadian culture, professional environment is pretty similar to US so that is why I was asking if it somehow possible to be able to get me some more points.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Express Entry (or Canada immigration in general) does not distinguish between US and other countries in any way. However, US education and experience is beneficial in many ways.
1. As it is an English speaking country, the experience makes it easier to score higher in IELTS.
2. US education from decent universities is highly likely to be evaluated as equivalent to Canadian degrees. US universities are also proficient at issuing transcripts and it can be done by phone/online. Hence the ECA process becomes smoother.
3. Earning in USD makes it easier to save up for the settlement funds. US Banks are also much more proficient at producing the necessary letter and statements.
4. US education and experience is treated as equivalent to Canadian by the employers. Hence it is easier to obtain a job later. (although a job offer with LMIA is still difficult)
5. Geographical proximity makes it easier to send and receive documents by mail.

You should try to score higher in IELTS and then easily score much more for CRS. However, having 15 years of experience you are likely to be older and you will lose points for age.

Reactions: CLT2Canada

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
I am trying to understand how does expericne of working and studying in the US help one become eligible for fast-track immigration to Canada or be able to work in Canada on a work permit.

I did Express Entry Assessment and learned that my degree (Both Undergrad and Graduate from USA Universities) and close to 15 years of work experince (8 years full time in US Fortune 500 companies) still got me under 350 points.

Can anyone help me understand how can I present my 15+ years US experinces (Social/Academic & Professional) help me?
1) Try to get a job offer
2) Keep an eye on all PNPs. In late 2017, Ontario invited folks with score as low as 320 to apply for OINP for a specific skill (ICT) but that lasted just for a week.

Reactions: Jadoo1155

Jadoo1155

May 10, 2016
1) Try to get a job offer
2) Keep an eye on all PNPs. In late 2017, Ontario invited folks with score as low as 320 to apply for OINP for a specific skill (ICT) but that lasted just for a week.
Can you explain the PNPs and OINP process?

How can one be considered for both of them?

Do I need to hire an attorney inside Canada to facilitate this for me?

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Can you explain the PNPs and OINP process?

How can one be considered for both of them?

Do I need to hire an attorney inside Canada to facilitate this for me?
When you create EE profile, you can opt for the application to be shared with selected provinces. If interested, province would invite you to apply for their PNP. In 2017, Ontario seemed to invite folks with a minimum CRS score of 400 except for that one week where they went as low as 320 (it was necessary for applicants to already be in the system, as in having created an active EE application). You can also visit any province's website for eligibility. If i remember correctly, you could apply for multiple but accept only one of them.

When i did my PNP in mid 2017, Ontario was the only one willing to invite without job offer, french language or relative already living in the province under human capital stream. BC on the other hand did need a valid job offer as a prerequisite. Some others needed a relative living etc.

Also keep in mind, PNP application will have its own cost (Ontario costed around 1500) and an approved PNP grants 600 points to EE application, good enough for a ITA. An approved PNP doesn't mean an approved EE application. EE application still has to go through its own checks. PNP application could differ a bit from EE application. For me OINP had more requirements than EE application like they needed birth certificate. OINP also just gave 2 weeks to submit the application once started. EE gives 3 months. If everything works good, one is expected to live in that province upon arrival until citizenship.

Ideally, one would want to just get through EE without PNP to reduce application cost, avoid multiple application formalities, documentation and for the ability to live anywhere in Canada upon arrival. PNP should be a last resort option when age restricts points for EE application.

In late 2018, minimum CRS for OINP will be determined by the director. If you want to go through PNP, you will have to keep an eye on their website for policy changes and updates.

https://www.cicnews.com/2018/09/ontario-revises-crs-minimum-rule-for-human-capital-priorities-stream-0911168.html#gs.q1ikE8YS.

Last edited: