+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does self-quarantine works in Canada?

rkdgus7585

Apr 19, 2019
Hi everyone, I am planning to visit my country (South Korea) end of this June and hoping to return to Canada after a couple of months. As I am a permanent residence, so I am aware I can return to Canada whenever I want. My question would be if the Covid situation is still active in Canada, I will need to quarantine myself for 2 weeks and was wondering how that really works. Can I do that in a shared rented place or are there any designated places to be quarantined at? thank you!

rkdgus7585

Apr 19, 2019
If shared rented place, then your roommate would have to quarantine with you for the 14 days of your arrival. You can choose to isolate yourself in a hotel room. No in-person grocery shopping for the household.

I seen you got advice a week ago and I suggest you follow:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks.html?topic=tilelink#self
Thank you for the answer, I don't think shared place won't work as my potential roommate would refuse to do that for the random person as I am renting the new place out. if staying at hotel is too expensive, I can for sure find a place in a basement that I can solely separate myself and wonder if that could work. the info on the attached link is very vague and was hoping you could answer this as well? thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the answer, I don't think shared place won't work as my potential roommate would refuse to do that for the random person as I am renting the new place out. if staying at hotel is too expensive, I can for sure find a place in a basement that I can solely separate myself and wonder if that could work. the info on the attached link is very vague and was hoping you could answer this as well? thank you!
yes if the basement is self-contained and you have access to your bathroom and kitchen (if possible) it should be fine. Only contact you should have is people leaving supplies by your door and once they leave you can pick them up.

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
I have a similar question. What if i hire an SUV for a couple of months and drive to aa wilderness area and sleep in the car? I've done this before. Does this count as quarantine?

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Just checked the guidance.

So is a new PR for expected to pay for a hotel for 14 days and not go anywhere? And somehow get food delivered? Will the government help with the cost of this?

These very strict rules being imposed on new immigrants - especially where the clock is ticking on their PR, which they paid a lot of money for, seems very unfair.

Reactions: pumpkin_latte

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

So is a new PR for expected to pay for a hotel for 14 days and not go anywhere? And somehow get food delivered? Will the government help with the cost of this?

These very strict rules being imposed on new immigrants - especially where the clock is ticking on their PR, which they paid a lot of money for, seems very unfair.
Old or new PR, citizen ,there’s no difference. The rules are the same for everyone , so thinking that they are specific for PR is ridiculous. Per your postings you landed back in 2017, you’re not new anymore . If you elected to stay out of the country all this time , that was your choice . You chose to only stay a few months , soft land , and then leave . Bringing up how the clock is ticking on your PR obligations is beyond belief .You’re bringing up the cost of PR now ?
You stated in another posting you have investments ? If you have investments, why would you even expect to have the Government pick up your tab during quarantine ? It’s unfair , and ironic to say the least , that someone who chose to stay out of the country all this time, to work mind you , is now complaining when it was there choice all along
Guess people who were pushing the envelope on soft landing and then timing their return to the very last moment , never thought of a pandemic occurring to throw a wrench into their plans. You have nothing to complain about

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

As said above, it applies to everyone and the government shouldn't have any obligation to help with the cost. Your choice whether to return or not. You don't have to stay at a hotel; you can buy a house, get an Airbnb, rent an apartment, stay with family/friends etc. Food delivery is a simple process.

If you think the basic rules put in place to stop a pandemic and protect the health of everyone in Canada are unfair, feel free to remain in your current location until this little pandemic is over.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not everyone paid a lot of money for being PR. Some people paid nothing - PGP for example. Their sponsors paid everything and showed they themselves meet the requirements.

Pankajgoyal

Jul 28, 2017
Hi, just for reference. I landed on 18th apr from UK and completed quarantine for 2 weeks. I had my brothers house as our isolation place, he was also quarantined with us. If you dont have any such place then I would advice dont make any plans. If you are decided to travel and have no plans for stay then let authorities know about this at the time of landing, they have identified some of the near by hotels but you need to pay the expenses. Hope this helps.

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Old or new PR, citizen ,there’s no difference. The rules are the same for everyone , so thinking that they are specific for PR is ridiculous. Per your postings you landed back in 2017, you’re not new anymore . If you elected to stay out of the country all this time , that was your choice . You chose to only stay a few months , soft land , and then leave . Bringing up how the clock is ticking on your PR obligations is beyond belief .You’re bringing up the cost of PR now ?
You stated in another posting you have investments ? If you have investments, why would you even expect to have the Government pick up your tab during quarantine ? It’s unfair , and ironic to say the least , that someone who chose to stay out of the country all this time, to work mind you , is now complaining when it was there choice all along
Guess people who were pushing the envelope on soft landing and then timing their return to the very last moment , never thought of a pandemic occurring to throw a wrench into their plans. You have nothing to complain about
What on earth are you talking about?

I didn't ask for your opinion about my life choices. It is none of your business why I have chosen to do as I have. I have an agreement with the Canadian government which means I can settle in Canada and need to spend two out of five years there. They have encouraged me to apply for PR, and clearly want new skilled immigrants, and I happily obliged and jumped through the many hoops to do so. Whether somebody chooses to settle in the first month or the last year is for them to decide and doesn't require any judgement from you. So please spare the forum your snippety and irrelevant comments about that.

Fact is, government policy is making settling in Canada very difficult. They obviously have their reasons. Needless to say, finding suitable accommodation is not going to be easy for new comers with no connections, nor is self isolating - being trapped in a small hotel room for two weeks is like being imprisoned. Worse in that opportunities for exercise and fresh air may be non existant. If it is better for immigrants not to arrive right now, when immigration is otherwise deemed desirable to Canada, it obviously makes sense for PRs to either be given extensions of time, where appropriate, or to be given more assistance to comply with these new federal requirements.

Just blaming and carping on at PRs as you are doing is totally unhelpful. The burden of this shouldn't be wholly placed on those who applied for PR in good faith, would like to settle, but now have obstacles in their way. Isn't that what these forums are supposed to be for, helping people?

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
As said above, it applies to everyone and the government shouldn't have any obligation to help with the cost. Your choice whether to return or not. You don't have to stay at a hotel; you can buy a house, get an Airbnb, rent an apartment, stay with family/friends etc. Food delivery is a simple process.

If you think the basic rules put in place to stop a pandemic and protect the health of everyone in Canada are unfair, feel free to remain in your current location until this little pandemic is over.
That's debatable. It is perfectly reasonable to say there is a moral obligation to give some leeway to PRs who are otherwise being encouraged and deemed desirable to Canada. They are federal policies that have been instituted and not all countries have imposed quarantines. It is not outlandish at all. It isn't even in the interests of Canada - if their own policies and statements are anything to go by - to lose PRs they have already assessed. Also, none of this is protecting the health of "everybody" in Canada, 99.9% of Canadians will either never have symptoms or will have non serious ones. That's a separate debate.

If you can point me in the direction of a good thread or website about how to find humane accommodation for a 14 day quarantine, and how to deal with food delivery, etc. That would be helpful. You're under no obligation obviously. Otherwise, we needn't discuss the matter further.

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hi, just for reference. I landed on 18th apr from UK and completed quarantine for 2 weeks. I had my brothers house as our isolation place, he was also quarantined with us. If you dont have any such place then I would advice dont make any plans. If you are decided to travel and have no plans for stay then let authorities know about this at the time of landing, they have identified some of the near by hotels but you need to pay the expenses. Hope this helps.
Thanks for this. Useful info.

This brings me back to my earlier point that if it is really best for PRs not to settle right now, then they are losing... How much of their PR time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
2 weeks quarantine is pretty standard around the globe these days. You have the opportunity to select the accommodation that makes you the most comfortable knowing you will spend 2 weeks without being able to leave. Many have been doing this in their own countries and survived. Food delivery and accommodation booking online is pretty easy these days.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2 weeks quarantine is pretty standard around the globe these days. You have the opportunity to select the accommodation that makes you the most comfortable knowing you will spend 2 weeks without being able to leave. Many have been doing this in their own countries and survived. Food delivery and accommodation booking online is pretty easy these days.
But not easy in smaller and remote communities!