+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does self-quarantine works in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But not easy in smaller and remote communities!
Why not? Things like AirBnB are everywhere so are hotels. Small communities are even more likely to have volunteers or retailers willing to facilitate delivery for free or for a fee. There are volunteers in the large cities willing to pick-up your groceries if you are not able to. There are of course also delivery programs.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fact is, government policy is making settling in Canada very difficult. They obviously have their reasons. Needless to say, finding suitable accommodation is not going to be easy for new comers with no connections, nor is self isolating - being trapped in a small hotel room for two weeks is like being imprisoned. Worse in that opportunities for exercise and fresh air may be non existant. If it is better for immigrants not to arrive right now, when immigration is otherwise deemed desirable to Canada, it obviously makes sense for PRs to either be given extensions of time, where appropriate, or to be given more assistance to comply with these new federal requirements.
But even being trapped in a big home for two weeks feels like being imprisoned. For exercise, the quarantinee can do sit ups or other excercises at home trying to burn calories, etc, trying to keep oneself in shape.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That's debatable. It is perfectly reasonable to say there is a moral obligation to give some leeway to PRs who are otherwise being encouraged and deemed desirable to Canada. They are federal policies that have been instituted and not all countries have imposed quarantines. It is not outlandish at all. It isn't even in the interests of Canada - if their own policies and statements are anything to go by - to lose PRs they have already assessed. Also, none of this is protecting the health of "everybody" in Canada, 99.9% of Canadians will either never have symptoms or will have non serious ones. That's a separate debate.

If you can point me in the direction of a good thread or website about how to find humane accommodation for a 14 day quarantine, and how to deal with food delivery, etc. That would be helpful. You're under no obligation obviously. Otherwise, we needn't discuss the matter further.
There is no obligation, moral or otherwise, when it was your personal choices that kept you out of Canada for years.

And yes, it is certainly protecting the health of everyone in Canada. Social distancing, closing borders, closing businesses, limiting contact etc. is what is keeping COVID-19 from spreading. It doesn't matter that most people will recover. Many won't. My immunocompromised grandfather wouldn't. Even if it were only 0.1% that we are protecting, here in Canada, we care about the lives of 0.1%.

It's really not hard to Google accommodation or food delivery or search this thread for the experiences of the many people who have already arrived and gone through their quarantine.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
That's debatable. It is perfectly reasonable to say there is a moral obligation to give some leeway to PRs who are otherwise being encouraged and deemed desirable to Canada. They are federal policies that have been instituted and not all countries have imposed quarantines. It is not outlandish at all. It isn't even in the interests of Canada - if their own policies and statements are anything to go by - to lose PRs they have already assessed. Also, none of this is protecting the health of "everybody" in Canada, 99.9% of Canadians will either never have symptoms or will have non serious ones. That's a separate debate.

If you can point me in the direction of a good thread or website about how to find humane accommodation for a 14 day quarantine, and how to deal with food delivery, etc. That would be helpful. You're under no obligation obviously. Otherwise, we needn't discuss the matter further.
Do some research, since you seem so knowledgeable, I find it hard to believe that you can't figure out how to find accommodation for 2 weeks and food delivery options. It's just a matter of being capable of using Google and having a credit card.

You applied for PR because you wanted to, the federal government didn't look for you and asked you to please come. Every single person, with very few exceptions, coming into Canada regardless of their immigration status has to go through a period of 2 week self isolation.

If you don't like it you can very well stay in your country, the last thing we need is a schmuck who believes he's entitled to receive some special treatment just because he paid the fees to have his PR processed.

Stay home or come back and deal with the situation, just stop whining ;)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But even being trapped in a big home for two weeks feels like being imprisoned. For exercise, the quarantinee can do sit ups or other excercises at home trying to burn calories, etc, trying to keep oneself in shape.
Many of us have survived quarantine for 2 months. Those of us at high risk have not left the house for months because being at home is much easier than potentially getting sick. Really not that hard. Many have it much worse.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many of us have survived quarantine for 2 months. Those of us at high risk have not left the house for months because being at home is much easier than potentially getting sick. Really not that hard. Many have it much worse.
Maybe most people in Toronto quarantined in their homes for 2 months. In Vancouver though, I walked my dog outside in a daily basis and practiced social distancing. I saw small groups of young people drove to empty parking lots for social gathering. I still line up pick up my grocery. There were huge lineup especially at one Costco which we waited for 1.5 hours before we can enter the store.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Maybe most people in Toronto quarantined in their homes for 2 months. In Vancouver though, I walked my dog outside in a daily basis and practiced social distancing. I saw small groups of young people drove to empty parking lots for social gathering. I still line up pick up my grocery. There were huge lineup especially at one Costco which we waited for 1.5 hours before we can enter the store.
Many higher risk people have not left their houses across Canada since March.

dr.josemrod

Sep 3, 2019
Santiago, Dominican Republic
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-08-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Done....
18-09-2019
LANDED..........
08-05-2020
Well we arrived on May 8th, self isolated for 2 weeks, got groceries delivered and everything to the AirBnB, fairly complex experience but we pulled through. Our host even got us the first groceries. Then we ordered with Longo's, pricey but needed to be done. During this time we applied to jobs, read, learned... really nice. As you are coming from outside you will have to come in through one of 4 airports, probably Pearson, just arrange for a driver, arrange for an AirBnB and use part of your PoFs for this.

Reactions: Berty3000 and jddd

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

dr.josemrod

Sep 3, 2019
Santiago, Dominican Republic
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-08-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Done....
18-09-2019
LANDED..........
08-05-2020

gursewak singh

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
SANGRUR,PUNJAB,INDIA
App. Filed.......
21-08-2013
File Transfer...
25-11-2013
Med's Request
24-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-09-2013
The quarantine is for our safety as well for those with whom we may get in contact for these 14 days. If someone is asymptomatic that may be disastrous. Living in Quarantine is not only restriction thing, it is also our duty towards the nation we are going to which is still allowing us to enter their country during this pandemic. As far shelter and food are concerned everything is possible easily in this digital world.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Really? I heard the news that thousands people flocked to one park in Toronto:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/several-tickets-issued-at-crowded-toronto-park-after-people-spotted-urinating-defecating-in-driveways-backyards-1.4952195

Do you realise people get bored? They ignore social distancing rules and disobeying the provincial banning gathering 5 or more people.
Did you see the outrage and the police and bylaw officers preventing gatherings the next day. 2 weeks are what they have to do not multiple months.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
No, no news coverage of that from BC!
Because Toronto is a mess . Literally, if people don’t stop acting like idiots here, i forecast that they’ll finally lift restrictions
maybe around Thanksgiving. First warm day and all common sense goes out the window . Wait till the real heat comes

Reactions: Berty3000

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The 1K fines will now being enforced. There are stupid people everywhere but most have been in quarantine or isolation for months. 2 weeks is doable although it can be unpleasant. Definitely easier to do when the weather is nicer in Canada. We will see if there is a spike due to the warmer weather.

Reactions: Berty3000