+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does self-quarantine works in Canada?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Apparently the Australian government is paying for PRs to quarantine in hotels! Sounds reasonable to me.
Sounds reasonable to me too especially since Australia does not have anything like CERB. They have JobSeeker support which is like our EI. They have JobKeeper support which is like our wage subsidy program. From where I’m sitting, having CERB available for 4 months is a better support (for a lot of people) than having 14 days in a hotel for free (for those who are arriving from a different country only), but that’s just me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Apparently the Australian government is paying for PRs to quarantine in hotels! Sounds reasonable to me.
Sounds reasonable because you haven’t been paying Canadian taxes and want to stay for free for 2 weeks, If you can’t afford 14 days at an AirBnB probably best to stay in the UK. You are already going to benefit from Canadian services while paying much less Canadian taxes than Canadians,

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
How about food, drinking water and personal laundry? Are they included as well?
Free cable and internet as well plus a loan laptop maybe ?? Maybe even a mini bar !

Obviouly just kidding but as far as what Canadian Government pays for still seems a grey area given nothing on the IRCC site that I can see that specifically implies the traveller does not have to pay at some point even if Chief Public Health Officer of Canada designates a facility. There was a press quote saying Canada pays for everything but no back up to that on website unless someone else has seen it. In fact depending which IRCC web page look at can even see statements that imply if no isolation plan then do not plan to travel to Canada for now.

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Do some research, since you seem so knowledgeable, I find it hard to believe that you can't figure out how to find accommodation for 2 weeks and food delivery options. It's just a matter of being capable of using Google and having a credit card.

You applied for PR because you wanted to, the federal government didn't look for you and asked you to please come. Every single person, with very few exceptions, coming into Canada regardless of their immigration status has to go through a period of 2 week self isolation.

If you don't like it you can very well stay in your country, the last thing we need is a schmuck who believes he's entitled to receive some special treatment just because he paid the fees to have his PR processed.

Stay home or come back and deal with the situation, just stop whining ;)
Yes, I'm trying to do research and came to this forum for that reason. Isn't that the purpose of this forum? Unfortunately, I'm having to waste my time reading aggressive and boring rubbish such as what you've posted.

Last edited:

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
There is no obligation, moral or otherwise, when it was your personal choices that kept you out of Canada for years.

And yes, it is certainly protecting the health of everyone in Canada. Social distancing, closing borders, closing businesses, limiting contact etc. is what is keeping COVID-19 from spreading. It doesn't matter that most people will recover. Many won't. My immunocompromised grandfather wouldn't. Even if it were only 0.1% that we are protecting, here in Canada, we care about the lives of 0.1%.

It's really not hard to Google accommodation or food delivery or search this thread for the experiences of the many people who have already arrived and gone through their quarantine.
You sound hysterical. Please relax. This isn't the Black Death. More people have died in rough flu seasons and nobody went crazy and suggested we have full blown lock downs, wreck economies, etc. Everybody has to take responsibility for their own health and vulnerable people especially - locking up 99.9% healthy people is unprecedented and insane. This will all become clear in time. Lots of highly qualified scientists now arguing that lock downs have little value; more people will die as a result of the lock downs and resulting economic carnage. It's mostly political at this point, and sadly people like yourself who lack critical thinking skills are still being suckled in.

I'm really not interested at all in your opinions about my choices and you're wasting forum space screeching about that. The purpose here is surely to either help people with settlement issues or not bother?

As an aside, the Australian government IS assisting PRs with accommodation costs during quarantine. So they obviously feel a moral obligation to help their PRs overcome the obstacles they've created. My suggestion wasn't unreasonable at all.

Reactions: BenLinus6

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
The quarantine is for our safety as well for those with whom we may get in contact for these 14 days. If someone is asymptomatic that may be disastrous. Living in Quarantine is not only restriction thing, it is also our duty towards the nation we are going to which is still allowing us to enter their country during this pandemic. As far shelter and food are concerned everything is possible easily in this digital world.
I hear the sound of the Soviet national anthem in my ears... The more sensible approach would be to test people at airports rather than force mostly healthy / uninfected people into a pointless and costly imprisonment. Or grant modest PR extensions to help themselves reduce the influx. Common sense.

Last edited:

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Sounds reasonable because you haven’t been paying Canadian taxes and want to stay for free for 2 weeks, If you can’t afford 14 days at an AirBnB probably best to stay in the UK. You are already going to benefit from Canadian services while paying much less Canadian taxes than Canadians,
Err no... I definitely do not want to stay for free for two weeks. Why would you make such a stupid assumption? I want to get out there and work / contribute right away. I hate the idea of being locked up for two weeks even it is paid for. The cost is just adding pain - the federal government has forced this and ought to do as the Australian government (and British government plan same) help with the cost of their policy. Other sensible options are to give people a modest PR extention or do more testing to prevent needing to lock people up. These are not unreasonable suggestions.

Sounds like quite a few of you have gone a bit stir crazy whilst being locked up. Very sad. Let's hope this ends soon.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You sound hysterical. Please relax. This isn't the Black Death. More people have died in rough flu seasons and nobody went crazy and suggested we have full blown lock downs, wreck economies, etc. Everybody has to take responsibility for their own health and vulnerable people especially - locking up 99.9% healthy people is unprecedented and insane. This will all become clear in time. Lots of highly qualified scientists now arguing that lock downs have little value; more people will die as a result of the lock downs and resulting economic carnage. It's mostly political at this point, and sadly people like yourself who lack critical thinking skills are still being suckled in.

I'm really not interested at all in your opinions about my choices and you're wasting forum space screeching about that. The purpose here is surely to either help people with settlement issues or not bother?

As an aside, the Australian government IS assisting PRs with accommodation costs during quarantine. So they obviously feel a moral obligation to help their PRs overcome the obstacles they've created. My suggestion wasn't unreasonable at all.
Yes, my post just screams "hysterical"...

The sheer ignorance in your post is just awful. Perhaps you should be trying to move to Trump land.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I hear the sound of the Soviet national anthem in my ears... The more sensible approach would be to test people at airports rather than force mostly healthy / uninfected people into a pointless and costly imprisonment. Or grant modest PR extensions to help themselves reduce the influx. Common sense.
Great, just what this country needs, another wannabe comedian....from abroad that is

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Governments don’t want people arriving in Canada and spreading covid. If people aren‘t able to make their own quarantine plans, although it is well publicized, you essentially can’t be trusted to quarantine yourself for 14 days so that is why countries provide a government quarantine comment.

Lockdown is meant to save lives but primarily to protect the healthcare system from collapsing under the strain.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Err no... I definitely do not want to stay for free for two weeks. Why would you make such a stupid assumption? I want to get out there and work / contribute right away. I hate the idea of being locked up for two weeks even it is paid for. The cost is just adding pain - the federal government has forced this and ought to do as the Australian government (and British government plan same) help with the cost of their policy. Other sensible options are to give people a modest PR extention or do more testing to prevent needing to lock people up. These are not unreasonable suggestions.

Sounds like quite a few of you have gone a bit stir crazy whilst being locked up. Very sad. Let's hope this ends soon.
Canada is helping those who have been living in Canada like the UK. No matter what you will have to remain in quarantine for 14 days. You are commenting on the fact that Australia has it right and is paying for people’s quarantine on arrival. Not a far reach to think you would be happy to have you quarantine covered by the Canadian government and tax payers. RO is already beyond lenient at 2 out of 5 years.

If all countries had unlimited doctors, nurses, medical supplies, hospital beds, etc. then sure we can be like Sweden and continue living our lives and more will just die as a consequence. The medical system will also stop functionning and a lot of workers in various medical centres will catch the virus and many will die. Canada, like many countries,does not have the excess capacity in hospitals or have enough medical supply or devices for everyone to live their normal lives.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
High risk people are getting delivery from volunteers (yes. even in Vancouver) and have not leave their home to stay safe.
Many people don’t realize that there are many elderly or immunocompromised who have been essentially have been at home even from January/February. Some may take a walk if they know they will not run into anyone. You do see more and more people out these days but these people will be basically homebound for a while to come. Not risk the risk of catching covid. Yes lots of friendly volunteers. I know my neighbourhood dropped flyers offering help no questions asked for a variety of issues.

Reactions: YVR123