File Transfer...
28-05-2019
Med's Request
16-05-2019
Med's Done....
27-05-2019
Interview........
16-10-2019
Little complicated and you don't want to get caught up in any future problems.
Flights are cheap now. Why not land here soon, look around, passport stamped, go back and prepare ?
Process takes a lot of time so do whats most important first.
In that case, how long do I need to stay in Canada? I remember some people said need to wait to get the PR card before leaving. Is that true?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In that case, how long do I need to stay in Canada? I remember some people said need to wait to get the PR card before leaving. Is that true?
Wait to get PR card before leaving is an option. If PR card is sent to a friend's address, your friend can courier to you outside Canada.

tuitui509

Jan 20, 2018
PR card processing time is now 3-4 weeks. used to be 5-6 weeks
The official date for new card is 26 days.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

But you might not receive it until 5-6 weeks due to card production cycle(I suspect they only produce card in batch once or twice a week, new and replacement cards are produced separately in batch) and how efficient Canada post shipping is.

And also assume if the officer is convinced the address you provided is your permanent address.
The only complication is landing officer is not convinced that the address you provided is your permanent address then they will not submit the PR card application on your landing. then you will have to request that online or call IRCC. thus further more delays.

Few of my friends who used lawyers in Canada sent the PR card to the lawyers address and the officer seemed to be satisfied it is a reputable lawyer that received the PR card on their behalf.

What they dont want to happen is that the PR card got mailed to a person by mistake and somehow the PR card was involved in fraudulent activities.

So if you provide lawyer's address is better than friends' address.

Also you could consider the travel document option. it is another $50 but then you wont have to worry about what if your PR card will get lost on the way to you.

You can land at one of the major airport in Canada during weekdays finish your landing, then go to service Canada to get your SIN and returning home the same day. This can all be done at the airport. Still submit the PR Card Address for lawyer's address and ask them to hold it for you until you pick it up in person.

Then come back to Canada when you have your new passport and new travel document.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/apply.html
The proof of immigration status would be the signed COPR since you dont have your PR card with you.
This route will be true stress free and worry free. Just more money need to spend.

PM me if you need to know more about landing and PR card processing

There is another route, but more complicated.
Dont apply travel document. Go to US first, and get a one way rental car and cross the border by using your new passport and signed COPR. traveling by private car(rentals included) from US , PR card is not required. only passport and Signed COPR is required.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry22880

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Few hours, few days, few weeks, you have some options.
Don't forget to bring your warm jacket, gloves, snow shoes, and goggles.
Turn it into a holiday......PR card took 21 days for us.

Tang2019

Mar 8, 2019
Macao
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
App. Filed.......
22-03-2019
AOR Received.
25-04-2019
File Transfer...
28-05-2019
Med's Request
16-05-2019
Med's Done....
27-05-2019
Interview........
16-10-2019
PR card processing time is now 3-4 weeks. used to be 5-6 weeks
The official date for new card is 26 days.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

But you might not receive it until 5-6 weeks due to card production cycle(I suspect they only produce card in batch once or twice a week, new and replacement cards are produced separately in batch) and how efficient Canada post shipping is.

And also assume if the officer is convinced the address you provided is your permanent address.
The only complication is landing officer is not convinced that the address you provided is your permanent address then they will not submit the PR card application on your landing. then you will have to request that online or call IRCC. thus further more delays.

Few of my friends who used lawyers in Canada sent the PR card to the lawyers address and the officer seemed to be satisfied it is a reputable lawyer that received the PR card on their behalf.

What they dont want to happen is that the PR card got mailed to a person by mistake and somehow the PR card was involved in fraudulent activities.

So if you provide lawyer's address is better than friends' address.

Also you could consider the travel document option. it is another $50 but then you wont have to worry about what if your PR card will get lost on the way to you.

You can land at one of the major airport in Canada during weekdays finish your landing, then go to service Canada to get your SIN and returning home the same day. This can all be done at the airport. Still submit the PR Card Address for lawyer's address and ask them to hold it for you until you pick it up in person.

Then come back to Canada when you have your new passport and new travel document.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/apply.html
The proof of immigration status would be the signed COPR since you dont have your PR card with you.
This route will be true stress free and worry free. Just more money need to spend.

PM me if you need to know more about landing and PR card processing

There is another route, but more complicated.
Dont apply travel document. Go to US first, and get a one way rental car and cross the border by using your new passport and signed COPR. traveling by private car(rentals included) from US , PR card is not required. only passport and Signed COPR is required.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. It seems that you know a lot about the processing of the PR card.

Tang2019

Mar 8, 2019
Macao
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
App. Filed.......
22-03-2019
AOR Received.
25-04-2019
File Transfer...
28-05-2019
Med's Request
16-05-2019
Med's Done....
27-05-2019
Interview........
16-10-2019
Some friends just told me I can send a letter to the Consulate of Portugal and explaining my urgency and they may let me renew the passport sooner. If that’s true, I will renew the passport and ask IRCC to reissue the COPR for me. In that case, I don’t need to rush to Canada and give me plenty of time to take care of other things. You know, that 22 hours’ flight to Toronto is really scary for me. :confused:

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Some friends just told me I can send a letter to the Consulate of Portugal and explaining my urgency and they may let me renew the passport sooner. If that’s true, I will renew the passport and ask IRCC to reissue the COPR for me. In that case, I don’t need to rush to Canada and give me plenty of time to take care of other things. You know, that 22 hours’ flight to Toronto is really scary for me. :confused:
Sounds reasonable but there are no guarantees they will do anything for you.
Processes take time so prepare for plan " B ".

Flights are not scary.....Though the 22 hours seems excessive if flying from HK to Toronto? (Cathay Pacific is only 15 hours).
My suggestion would be to take direct flight with premium airline for that distance and arrive comfortable.
I fly Air Canada direct HK to Vancouver and arrive home in 11 hrs with a tailwind.
Just have to adjust to the time change. " And the weather " :eek:

tttolo

Nov 25, 2019
I just received a request for biometrics. I am just wondering approximately where in the timeline do medical exams and police checks usually fit in.
Also, can the principal applicant still travel to Canada as a visitor with an eTA after completing biometrics.
Thank you for the help!

tuitui509

Jan 20, 2018
I just received a request for biometrics. I am just wondering approximately where in the timeline do medical exams and police checks usually fit in.
Also, can the principal applicant still travel to Canada as a visitor with an eTA after completing biometrics.
Thank you for the help!

eTA only for transit, if Visa is not exempt PA needs to get a visa first before come to Canada. and PA need to show proof the stay is only temporary.
To be able to do this PA need to demonstrate dual intent. to avid hard time at the border. I recommending Sponsor to keep PA accompany while travel to Canada.

bio request is very early stage. bio and medical should be close to each other. criminality and BGC does not start until later stage after it got transfer back to HKVO.

What is your timeline?

Last edited:

tttolo

Nov 25, 2019
eTA only for transit, if Visa is not exempt PA needs to get a visa first before come to Canada. and PA need to show proof the stay is only temporary.
To be able to do this PA need to demonstrate dual intent. to avid hard time at the board. I recommending Sponsor to keep PA accompany while travel to Canada.

bio request is very early stage. bio and medical should be close to each other. criminality and BGC does not start until later stage after it got transfer back to HKVO.

What is your timeline?
My timeline:
Application received Oct 10, 2019
Acknowledging receipt Nov 9, 2019
Biometrics Nov 25, 2019

Travel from HK to Canada does not require a visa at this time so I assume PA can travel to Canada during this application process. Sponsor is living in Canada already with children and PA is traveling to stay as a visitor for about 3 months. If biometrics and medical exam is close together then it might be best for PA to complete these two before making travel plans.

tttolo

Nov 25, 2019
Also, is it always necessary for sponsor and PA to be interviewed in HKVO or only in certain circumstances?

tuitui509

Jan 20, 2018
My timeline:
Application received Oct 10, 2019
Acknowledging receipt Nov 9, 2019
Biometrics Nov 25, 2019

Travel from HK to Canada does not require a visa at this time so I assume PA can travel to Canada during this application process. Sponsor is living in Canada already with children and PA is traveling to stay as a visitor for about 3 months. If biometrics and medical exam is close together then it might be best for PA to complete these two before making travel plans.

then no need to apply visa but to demonstrate dual intent upon entry. PA can travel ASAP since medical can be done in Canada, just make sure to call IRCC to get PA's address updated while staying in Canada. Only bio has to be collected outside of Canada.

medical might be cheaper and quicker in Canada, with all the fiasco happening in HK

Last edited:

tttolo

Nov 25, 2019
then no need to apply visa but to demonstrate dual intent upon entry. PA can travel ASAP since medical can be done in Canada, just make sure to call IRCC to get PA's address updated while staying in Canada. Only bio has to be collected outside of Canada.
Thanks!
Sorry... just want to clarify how dual intent is demonstrated upon entry?

tuitui509

Jan 20, 2018
Also, is it always necessary for sponsor and PA to be interviewed in HKVO or only in certain circumstances?
not always, it is a hit or miss. under any circumstances they could request an interview. but rumor has it. newly wedded/ conjugal partner always get an interview.