+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hong Kong timeline

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Just to give an update...the interview went very well. My spouse put in a fair amount of effort to memorize different things about my life history & our time together which definitely helped. They also requested my divorce documents, I think they wanted to make sure I was validly divorced.

My spouse can now access pre-arrival services, & the background check is in progress!

Here's my current timeline:

May 1 - Documents arrived at Mississauga
June 5 - Started working on application (sponsor)
June 6 - Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR1)
July 18 - Medical Request
July 20 - Approved as sponsor
July 23 - Medical Exam
July 31 - Passed Medical Exam (status updated on cic.gc.ca GCKEY)
Aug 3 - Notice of application transfer (to Hong Kong)
Aug 6 - AOR2
Jan 16 - Interview request
Jan 21 - Interview (Hong Kong)
Jan 22 - Background check in progress & access to pre-arrival services
Congratulations! Where does PA come from if I may ask?

mitjad

Jan 24, 2019
Congrats on the good news. My wife sent her passport to Beijing from Mainland China in January. She used China Post EMS (Express Mail Service). No problems at all with it, and you get a tracking number. It should be back in her hands about 3 weeks after sending. They use their own envelope to send it back, and it is by EMS also. My wife included a separate piece of paper with her English and Chinese addresses and phone number. EMS called an hour before to be sure someone would be home. The EMS envelope came addressed to the Chinese address. Or you could include an EMS return address sticker. Call VAC with any questions. The fees for everything are a bit confusing but the total was 222.40 RMB, including the posting fee for sending by EMS to VAC, so if I remember correctly it was very close to 200 RMB for the VAC fee. They emailed to inform that the passport was on its way back but no tracking number was included so she had to call to ask for it.
The international shipping services to China have managed to resolve the problem by addressing it and taking the necessary steps.

BrizoAthena

Aug 18, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
14-06-2018
Doc's Request.
27-08-2018
AOR Received.
30-07-2018
Med's Request
29-08-2018
Med's Done....
31-08-2018
Hi Guys,

I haven't been online for a while. My spouse is in Canada now and need to attend an interview on April 8, 2019. Now, I need to know if he receive the COPR letter thru mail, does the HKVO ask him to send in his passport when DM issue? Can he deem his status in Canada without going back to Hong kong?

Please advise.

jrsmith

Nov 2, 2015
If it's an outland sponsorship he has to leave Canada, then come back & go through immigration. We got the PPR about a week after the successful interview.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
what is the approximate time for HKVO from receiving the application from Sydney, CA to interview request and completion of background check?

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
what is the approximate time for HKVO from receiving the application from Sydney, CA to interview request and completion of background check?
HKVO is very efficient and it will depend on each individual application.
Maybe 3 months from receiving the application if everything goes well.
Though it can be held up with security/background checks that are completed by a third party.
IRCC has no control over that and you just have to wait. Hopefully the applicant has no complicated
history. If they call you in for an interview that means there are some concerns with your application
and you can expect longer times......... Be prepared!
I am aware of a HKVO outland application in my area last year. Start to finish 7 months. ( having fun in the snow now ):eek:
Maybe you get lucky and no interview.
Good things to come!

Last edited:

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
HKVO is very efficient and it will depend on each individual application.
Maybe 3 months from receiving the application if everything goes well.
Though it can be held up with security/background checks that are completed by a third party.
IRCC has no control over that and you just have to wait. Hopefully the applicant has no complicated
history. If they call you in for an interview that means there are some concerns with your application
and you can expect longer times......... Be prepared!
I am aware of a HKVO outland application in my area last year. Start to finish 7 months. ( having fun in the snow now ):eek:
Maybe you get lucky and no interview.
Good things to come!
Thank you very much for the valuable information.

BrizoAthena

Aug 18, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
14-06-2018
Doc's Request.
27-08-2018
AOR Received.
30-07-2018
Med's Request
29-08-2018
Med's Done....
31-08-2018
Just to give an update...the interview went very well. My spouse put in a fair amount of effort to memorize different things about my life history & our time together which definitely helped. They also requested my divorce documents, I think they wanted to make sure I was validly divorced.

My spouse can now access pre-arrival services, & the background check is in progress!

Here's my current timeline:

May 1 - Documents arrived at Mississauga
June 5 - Started working on application (sponsor)
June 6 - Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR1)
July 18 - Medical Request
July 20 - Approved as sponsor
July 23 - Medical Exam
July 31 - Passed Medical Exam (status updated on cic.gc.ca GCKEY)
Aug 3 - Notice of application transfer (to Hong Kong)
Aug 6 - AOR2
Jan 16 - Interview request
Jan 21 - Interview (Hong Kong)
Jan 22 - Background check in progress & access to pre-arrival services

Hi bro,

Any good news from your wife yet?

Mr. Marc

Oct 19, 2018
Hey y’all,
July 16th applicant. Just got an interview request today (March 7th) from the HK visa office. Interview is on April 17th.
Does anyone know how the interviews go down? Do they separate the couple to ask them questions individually or does the couple go through the interview process together?

yf2018

Nov 7, 2018
I read some online posts. Either way could be possible, no routine to follow, just be honest. No worries.

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
If it's an outland sponsorship he has to leave Canada, then come back & go through immigration. We got the PPR about a week after the successful interview.
That’s not true, you can complete a soft landing by booking in with your local case processing centre. You can also cross the border in to the US, and come back in - I’ve also seen that rather than fully crossing the border you can request administrative rejection from the US border and land straight back in Canada with your COPR.

I plan to go to Canada on duel intent in the spring and if my COPR comes through in this time then I’ll be completing a soft landing in Edmonton.

Hi Guys,

I haven't been online for a while. My spouse is in Canada now and need to attend an interview on April 8, 2019. Now, I need to know if he receive the COPR letter thru mail, does the HKVO ask him to send in his passport when DM issue? Can he deem his status in Canada without going back to Hong kong?

Please advise.

If your spouse is staying in Canada for a long period of time then you’ll need to change your mailing address with CIC and when you complete PPR, follow what it states to do in the letter:

4) Submitting your passport(s) in Canada (CPC-O)

If you have a mailing address in Canada and if you and all the accompanying dependents on your application are currently in Canada and plan to be in Canada for at least three months, you may submit your passport(s) to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa.

You are required to send your document(s) together along with a copy of this letter by mail or courier to the following address with the additional following document..

Last edited:
Reactions: tk0110

tk0110

Mar 13, 2018
Hello everyone, just a bit update on our case to share:
-My spouse received pre-arrival services invitation on Feb12, 2019.
-Received Bulletin 2 email on Mar 6
-Received a message from HKVO requesting for two photos again on Mar 7

Finger crossed ‘DM’ is coming very soon and the COPR too......

yf2018

Nov 7, 2018
Hello everyone, just a bit update on our case to share:
-My spouse received pre-arrival services invitation on Feb12, 2019.
-Received Bulletin 2 email on Mar 6
-Received a message from HKVO requesting for two photos again on Mar 7

Finger crossed ‘DM’ is coming very soon and the COPR too......
Good news. May I know when did you applied. I applied in July and I'm still waiting.