+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Holding Two Valid Work Permit Simultaneously

lrow

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi ,

This is a great thread . I was actually looking for information related to applying for multiple work permits .

Currently , my current closed work permit expires on 1st week of December . I have applied for FSW2 and received AOR long back. So I am about to apply for BOWP (Bridging open work permit ) since my employer is taking some time in applying LMO etc.

However, my question is once my employer receives LMO and everything else is fine Can I apply for closed work permit at that time
if case 1) My BOWP is still in progress
or case 2) I already received my BOWP .

anni_in

Sep 4, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2013
AOR Received.
16-Jul-2013
Med's Request
31-Jan-2014
Med's Done....
7-Feb-2014 Medical received.: 17-Feb-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
1-Mar-2014
I am also looking for the help. I have BOWP based on my work permit valid until Oct-2014. My current closed work permit is valid until 20-Dec-13. My employer is planning to apply for closed work permit. Should I go with that?
Will I loose my open work permit?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

anni_in said:
I am also looking for the help. I have BOWP based on my work permit valid until Oct-2014. My current closed work permit is valid until 20-Dec-13. My employer is planning to apply for closed work permit. Should I go with that?
Will I loose my open work permit?
1. Yes you would. Why you would bother with a closed work permit, as you can work with your employer on the BOWP?

anni_in

Sep 4, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2013
AOR Received.
16-Jul-2013
Med's Request
31-Jan-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
1-Mar-2014
PMM said:
Hi

1. Yes you would. Why you would bother with a closed work permit, as you can work with your employer on the BOWP?
Thanks PMM for your response. My employer is not willing to continue me on my BWOP and they want me to continue on their closed WP. I beleive they are afraid that I can leave them if I am on BOWP.

ilovirn

Dec 25, 2013
anni_in said:
Thanks PMM for your response. My employer is not willing to continue me on my BWOP and they want me to continue on their closed WP. I beleive they are afraid that I can leave them if I am on BOWP.
i am in the same situation. What happened with you?

anni_in

Sep 4, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2013
AOR Received.
16-Jul-2013
Med's Request
31-Jan-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
1-Mar-2014
ilovirn said:
i am in the same situation. What happened with you?
I quit my company and now looking for a job :)

md4me

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting....
LANDED..........
Waiting....
I know there has been lot of discussion in this thread.

I have one important question. I have applied for Bridge open work permit. If it gets approved does it cancel my closed work permit? because my employer has revoked the decision now but I am confused if BOWP is approved, does my closed work permit become invalid and I will not be able to continue my job? please help if you have any suggestions

Any help any one much appreciated

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

md4me said:
I know there has been lot of discussion in this thread.

I have one important question. I have applied for Bridge open work permit. If it gets approved does it cancel my closed work permit? because my employer has revoked the decision now but I am confused if BOWP is approved, does my closed work permit become invalid and I will not be able to continue my job? please help if you have any suggestions

Any help any one much appreciated
1. Yes, the closed is invalid, but you don't seem to grasp the point, that with a BOWP you can work for anyone, even your previous employer.

md4me

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting....
LANDED..........
Waiting....
PMM said:
Hi

1. Yes, the closed is invalid, but you don't seem to grasp the point, that with a BOWP you can work for anyone, even your previous employer.
I have not quit the job yet and my employer has changed the decision in 2 days not to terminate me. Hence if my work permit changes from closed to BOWP, I do not know whether I need to inform my current employer since I did not lose the job at first place and just continue working as before

anni_in

Sep 4, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2013
AOR Received.
16-Jul-2013
Med's Request
31-Jan-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
1-Mar-2014
md4me said:
I have not quit the job yet and my employer has changed the decision in 2 days not to terminate me. Hence if my work permit changes from closed to BOWP, I do not know whether I need to inform my current employer since I did not lose the job at first place and just continue working as before
Your Closed work permit will not be invalid until the last date. You should inform your employer about your BOWP and ask them to continue on BOWP. If they refuse, then there are two options for you.
1. Quit your job and work on BOWP
2. Ask your employer to apply for a closed work permit. In this case you will lose your BOWP.

md4me

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting....
LANDED..........
Waiting....
Thanks guys.

I just spoke to CIC call centre. They told me following.

1. You can hold multiple work permits. Approval of BOWP does not invalidate your existing closed work permit.
2. After receiving BOWP you can quit your current job if you want and then work for any employer with BOWP

Reactions: RJW

rainbowruthm

Jan 26, 2015
Hi,

I have carefully read through all these posts. However, I would be very grateful if someone could clarify the details for my exact situation.

-I am currently on a closed work permit that is tied to my job. It expires Feb 28th
-I have been offered a new job. They will apply for a new closed work permit for me to work at their company beginning Mar 1st.
-The work permit for my new job is likely to arrive after Mar 1st due to the processing time
-Therefore, my current job is willing to extend my work permit so I can continue in employment with them until my new job begins

-Am I allowed to apply for an extension of my current closed work permit, and for a new closed work permit for a different company at the same time?

I want to be really sure, because I really don't want to jeopardize my chances with the new job. I have tried calling CIC, but no answer. If anyone gets back to me, could you provide me with a reference for your response.

Thanks!

kaligayahan

Apr 29, 2014
http://immigrationcanada.pro/immigrate/holding-multiple-canadian-work-permits-time/

Where on the CIC site does it say I can get multiple work permits?

Like many things in immigration law, the CIC website is silent on this issue. Perhaps they don’t want to encourage the practise, who knows, but you won’t find any information there.

But an analysis of the law is revealing.

Nowhere in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act does it state that when you get a new work permit, the old work permit is cancelled. In fact, the Regulations state that a work permit only becomes invalid when it expires or when a removal order made against the permit holder becomes enforceable. It’s important to note that is does not become invalid when a second (or third, or fourth) work permit is issued.

As a result, holding multiple work permits is not prohibited anywhere in the law.

rainbowruthm

Jan 26, 2015
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I had a look through the URL you pasted and it says you are "not likely" to be allowed two full-time work permits.
This would be the case for me, because as soon as the second work permit was granted I would resign from the first job.
Do you think this is likely to be a problem? I really don't want the second work permit, for the new job, to be denied.
Thanks again

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
watchpu5hp said:
Well my concern was if would be able to serve my notice period in the old company after i get the confirmed work permit with the new employer. I was reluctant to resign from old company until i get confirmed work permit from new employer.

His response was:
"Your old work permit will still be valid until it expires. A person can have two work permits at the same time."
Just reconfirming if some one stumbles upon this thread. Getting a new work permit does not invalidates the previous one. I have recently done this, had a valid work permit, got a new one at the border, ASKED them since I needed to continue my existing job, give notice, move to a different province a few months latter.

CBSA was perfectly fine and said your existing work permit is valid till its expiry (which was like 3 months away). I have now joined the new employer but I took a little over a month after getting the new work permit. I reisgned, continued working at existing employer, received pay stub etc.

And it makes perfect sense too.

Besides when I went to border, my file was prepared by Earnest and Young and I asked them the same question before. They are one of the big four law firms globally and were hired by my next employer (which is a big name company).

Reactions: RJW