28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
watchpu5hp said:
Well my concern was if would be able to serve my notice period in the old company after i get the confirmed work permit with the new employer. I was reluctant to resign from old company until i get confirmed work permit from new employer.

His response was:
"Your old work permit will still be valid until it expires. A person can have two work permits at the same time."
I wouldn't trust the CIC call centre as far as I can throw them. Sadly they can give wrong answers to even the most basic questions. Trust the advice coming from rjessome.

out

Jun 23, 2012
watchpu5hp said:
Well my concern was if would be able to serve my notice period in the old company after i get the confirmed work permit with the new employer. I was reluctant to resign from old company until i get confirmed work permit from new employer.
His response was:
"Your old work permit will still be valid until it expires. A person can have two work permits at the same time."
this is really confusing; it's like a tug o' war; most inputs from known seniors here says no; some who participates quoting from at source says yes....hopefully someone can show proof from the website about in the event of applying for another new work permit while in the period of existing work permit automatically invalidates the current or existing valid work permit as soon as the new work permit comes out...

out

Jun 23, 2012
out said:
this is really confusing; it's like a tug o' war; most inputs from known seniors here says no; some who participates quoting from at source says yes....hopefully someone can show proof from the website about in the event of applying for another new work permit while in the period of existing work permit automatically invalidates the current or existing valid work permit as soon as the new work permit comes out...
also, what in the event of two different companies applied on (with lmo); is it illegal to do such?
is there anyone here who got 2l work permits simultaneous due to multiple application of work applied then gets approve?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible to apply for two LMO's for the same person at the same time. I have not heard of anyone that then took the two LMO's and applied for 2 work permits at the same time.

chippies

Nov 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my understanding, it seems like lots of people misunderstand the close work permit which is the LMO-based (entitling one to work for a specific employer only) which really doesn't mean that people are not allowed to have two work permits. An open permit is (one document that entitles u to work with ANY employers at any time before the expiration date) whereas if u r on a closed permit, obviously u gotta get another work permit if u wanna work for another employer. It's simply that simple. LOL!

LMO-based work permit = closed work permit = tied down to ONE specific employer in a specific *occupation usually = no freedom
Open work permit= OPEN(being obvious) = more than 1 employer and ANY employer @ your freedom

Simple isn't it!

Jen030110

Aug 22, 2012
Use the dropdown menu; and choose the following topic.

Topic Area : Hiring
The following Describe Me: I have questions about TFWs employment changes
I want to know about: I want to know about how employment changes can affect
TFW work permit.

"Can a Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) get a second job?
Yes, but you may not find this easy to do, as the second job can't be part-time. A TFW can hold two work permits. The second job must meet all of the TFW program requirements, including a job offer and LMO. An LMO will only be issued for full-time employment, not less than 30 hours per week."

If you are not from Alberta I suggest you visit the website of your own province who knows
The anawer is just there.

Before I found this a answer that gave me a peace of mind I asked
The following people/organization and they came up with the same answer that
A work permit cannot be cancelled and a foreign worker can do double jobs.
1.my first employer
2.Catholic Social Services
3.International Staffing Coordinator of my
first job and she double checked it with our
Immigration Lawyer.

I hope you find my this post useful.

Thanks!

Jen030110

Aug 22, 2012
Open work permit usually issued to people who work at Trade Industry
or issued through spousal sponsorship.

If your wife/husband is under skilled category with skilled
LMO she/he may apply for her/his partner an open work permit.
However, upon the approval of the open work permit it is conjugated
to the status of the principal applicant. Meaning if your husband is the principal
applicant his wife may obtain open work permit the open work permit will expire too
by the time that her husband's wp expires or if her husband changed status from skilled
to non-skilled it will affect the open work permit.

Clearly, open work permit can do multiple jobs as soon as the holder wants to either part time or full time.
As for closed, one can also does multiple jobs.However, all jobs should be all full time jobs which means it should not be less than 30 hours per week.

dondon1978

Oct 20, 2012
working in two employers at the same time is strictly "Illegal". Once get caught working one under the table, the employer who hired you will be responsible to penalize $5000 plus arresting you to deport to your point of origin. Think before its to late, better be safe than sorry. The Bottom Line of these conversation is "Do what you want to be act but think what you'd feel to be safe"
I'm thank you.

phoenixcanada

Jan 29, 2013
dondon1978 said:
working in two employers at the same time is strictly "Illegal". Once get caught working one under the table, the employer who hired you will be responsible to penalize $5000 plus arresting you to deport to your point of origin. Think before its to late, better be safe than sorry. The Bottom Line of these conversation is "Do what you want to be act but think what you'd feel to be safe"
I'm thank you.
Holding multiple visa is not illigal, I found this on CIC website [Though this is mentioned on STUDY PERMIT section, but I am safly assuming that this is tru in general]
"Note: An off-campus work permit issued under this program is not interchangeable with a work permit for internships or co-op placements. However, students wishing to participate in both programs may apply for a work permit under each program, as there is no restriction on holding more than one work permit. You must pay the separate fees for each permit."

Reactions: RJW

watchpu5hp

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th Dec 2012
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
28th Jan 2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
24th Sep 2013
Med's Done....
1st Oct 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21st Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7th nov 2013
LANDED..........
10th Nov 2013
phoenixcanada said:
Holding multiple visa is not illigal, I found this on CIC website [Though this is mentioned on STUDY PERMIT section, but I am safly assuming that this is tru in general]
"Note: An off-campus work permit issued under this program is not interchangeable with a work permit for internships or co-op placements. However, students wishing to participate in both programs may apply for a work permit under each program, as there is no restriction on holding more than one work permit. You must pay the separate fees for each permit."
Great find !!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

phoenixcanada said:
No, it is not true in general, it applies specifically to Co-Op students and off campus work permits. That is all.

CanWP

Apr 4, 2013
Hello Seniors,

Till now we discussed about having two closed WP's in same province. I have this Query regarding holding one Open-WP and another Closed-WP in two different Provinces simultaneously , in Nutshell Are both work permits valid but you should not use them at the same time ?

For example a Person has following Situation:

1 . Have approved Open WP which is valid only in the Province of Ontario for 2 years but not able to find a good job here.

2. He gets a good job in the Province of Alberta but this is Closed WP ( LMO based ) and is able to get +ive LMO and Closed WP in Alberta for e.g for 8 Months duration.

Now I understand that a person can only legally work at one place and in above situation it is also not possible for him to be physically present at two provinces simultaneously.

So assume that the person picks up the job in Alberta on Closed WP because it was highly paid, Works there for 8 months then will that person loose his Open WP from Ontario which was of 2 years validity?

Is this possible that after completing his job in Alberta ( works there for 8 months, Alberta Closed WP validity finishes ) then he can go back to Ontario and start working for another employer using his old Open WP which was of 2 years duration and is still valid ?

Or does that means that because he got a closed WP in Alberta that caused him to loose his Open WP in Ontario because it gets automatically cancelled upon the issuance of new WP ?

Now based upon the clarity in this matter this person has to make this decision whether he can hold two valid work permits at the same time or not ? Because in this situation he will not prefer to loose 2 years Open WP in Ontario just for 8 months job in Alberta. Otherwise if Two WP's are allowed simultaneously then he can work in Alberta and then move back to Ontario ?

Thanks for your views and suggestions in this matter.

Jen030110

Aug 22, 2012
CanWP said:
Hello Seniors,

Till now we discussed about having two closed WP's in same province. I have this Query regarding holding one Open-WP and another Closed-WP in two different Provinces simultaneously , in Nutshell Are both work permits valid but you should not use them at the same time ?

1 . Have approved Open WP which is valid only in the Province of Ontario for 2 years but not able to find a good job here.

2. He gets a good job in the Province of Alberta but this is Closed WP ( LMO based ) and is able to get +ive LMO and Closed WP in Alberta for e.g for 8 Months duration.

Now I understand that a person can only legally work at one place and in above situation it is also not possible for him to be physically present at two provinces simultaneously.

So assume that the person picks up the job in Alberta on Closed WP because it was highly paid, Works there for 8 months then will that person loose his Open WP from Ontario which was of 2 years validity?

Is this possible that after completing his job in Alberta ( works there for 8 months, Alberta Closed WP validity finishes ) then he can go back to Ontario and start working for another employer using his old Open WP which was of 2 years duration and is still valid ?

Or does that means that because he got a closed WP in Alberta that caused him to loose his Open WP in Ontario because it gets automatically cancelled upon the issuance of new WP ?

Now based upon the clarity in this matter this person has to make this decision whether he can hold two valid work permits at the same time or not ? Because in this situation he will not prefer to loose 2 years Open WP in Ontario just for 8 months job in Alberta. Otherwise if Two WP's are allowed simultaneously then he can work in Alberta and then move back to Ontario ?

Hi there!

As per Catholic Social Services Worker to whom I talked to bef

Jen030110

Aug 22, 2012
CanWP said:
Hello Seniors,

Hi there!

As per Catholic Social Services worker to whom I talked to before regarding work permit
She told me that a work permit cannot be cancelled. Therefore I am assuming that The open wp should still be valid until it
Expires.however from the time that the wp here in Alberta expires the worker should go back to the province
Where his wp is valid.

Better check the website of Ontario too to make sure.

Hope this comment is helpful!

Cheers!