+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Holding Two Valid Work Permit Simultaneously

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Syed_A said:
Guys,

I called CIC and they confirmed that a person can hold two work permit at same time and worked for two employers on their respective permit at same time. If anyone has doubt, pelase call CIC and confirm.
You got the wrong information, 1 work permit per customer. The work permit should have a statement along the lines, only allowed to work for the above employer at the above location.

watchpu5hp

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th Dec 2012
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
28th Jan 2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
24th Sep 2013
Med's Done....
1st Oct 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21st Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7th nov 2013
LANDED..........
10th Nov 2013
PMM said:
Hi

You got the wrong information, 1 work permit per customer. The work permit should have a statement along the lines, only allowed to work for the above employer at the above location.
I don't agree with this point.
As stated before yes a person can have two valid closed work permit at the same time.
Both the work permits are valid till expiry.
I checked with my immigration lawyer to reconfirm and he agreed to this point.
Here is his respOnse :
"Your old work permit will still be valid until it expires. A person can have two work permits at the same time"

I hope it clarifies the doubt in this thread

out

Jun 23, 2012
watchpu5hp said:
I don't agree with this point.
As stated before yes a person can have two valid closed work permit at the same time.
Both the work permits are valid till expiry.
I checked with my immigration lawyer to reconfirm and he agreed to this point.
Here is his respOnse :
"Your old work permit will still be valid until it expires. A person can have two work permits at the same time" I hope it clarifies the doubt in this thread
all the knowledgeable peeps,has inkling expertise and senior superiors hear ye my plea to share and explore the battle of 2 diff. work permits for 2 diff. jobs in existence; is it legally allowed by the CIC?

lotus_abbey

Star Member
Apr 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Syed_A said:
Guys,

I called CIC and they confirmed that a person can hold two work permit at same time and worked for two employers on their respective permit at same time. If anyone has doubt, pelase call CIC and confirm.

that would be great,

lotus_abbey

Star Member
Apr 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

i asked my new employer and she said it is possible, we all knew that the work permit has a statements along the lines valid for the above employer and above location but the conditions doesn't states that you are prohibited from having another employer with a valid work permit.

Reactions: Lc4life and RJW

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lotus_abbey said:
i asked my new employer and she said it is possible, we all knew that the work permit has a statements along the lines valid for the above employer and above location but the conditions doesn't states that you are prohibited from having another employer with a valid work permit.
I think you have gotten bad information. The work permit usually says, may only work for the above employer at the above location. But, if CBSA picks up for working without authorization, so be it.

watchpu5hp

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th Dec 2012
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
28th Jan 2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
24th Sep 2013
Med's Done....
1st Oct 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21st Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7th nov 2013
LANDED..........
10th Nov 2013
PMM said:
Hi

I think you have gotten bad information. The work permit usually says, may only work for the above employer at the above location. But, if CBSA picks up for working without authorization, so be it.
I also called up CIC yesterday and they confirmed that you can have as many work permits. Each and every work permit is independent of other and valid till the date of expiry. The same view was reflected by the Immigration lawyer when i asked this question and updated in the thread.

Reactions: Christopher piedad

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
watchpu5hp said:
I also called up CIC yesterday and they confirmed that you can have as many work permits. Each and every work permit is independent of other and valid till the date of expiry. The same view was reflected by the Immigration lawyer when i asked this question and updated in the thread.
You realize there's a difference from "having" more than one work permit and "working" for more than one employer? Did you phrase the questions like, "I have two work permits that are both valid. Each one names the employer and says I can't work for any other employer. However, because they are both valid can I work for both employers?" That's the way it should have been worded. The answer from CIC would have been NO, you cannot work for more than one employer UNLESS your work permit is an Open Work Permit.

I'm hearing about more and more people and employers who are believing this is case. CBSA does NOT agree and considers it working without authorization as PMM stated. CIC and CBSA are onto this so expect changes to come soon. And think back to the application for the new work permit with the new employer. You applied for a CHANGE of Conditions to your work permit. Not an ADDITION. CIC will likely make it mandatory for workers to surrender previous permits to prevent this in the future. AND it could negatively affect a PR application. So those are the risks. Do as you like.

watchpu5hp

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th Dec 2012
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
28th Jan 2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
24th Sep 2013
Med's Done....
1st Oct 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21st Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7th nov 2013
LANDED..........
10th Nov 2013
rjessome said:
You realize there's a difference from "having" more than one work permit and "working" for more than one employer? Did you phrase the questions like, "I have two work permits that are both valid. Each one names the employer and says I can't work for any other employer. However, because they are both valid can I work for both employers?" That's the way it should have been worded. The answer from CIC would have been NO, you cannot work for more than one employer UNLESS your work permit is an Open Work Permit.

I'm hearing about more and more people and employers who are believing this is case. CBSA does NOT agree and considers it working without authorization as PMM stated. CIC and CBSA are onto this so expect changes to come soon. And think back to the application for the new work permit with the new employer. You applied for a CHANGE of Conditions to your work permit. Not an ADDITION. CIC will likely make it mandatory for workers to surrender previous permits to prevent this in the future. AND it could negatively affect a PR application. So those are the risks. Do as you like.
Sorry i was just responding to the topic of thread which says holding two work permits simultaneously. I don't know if we can work for two employers at a time,( i did not ask as you correctly pointed out). My point is new work permit does not invalidate the old work permit. You can still leave the job from new employer and work with old employer with the old work permit. Do you agree?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have never actually found anything concrete about this on the CIC website or anywhere else. I know someone who went to the border to apply for a new work permit for a new employer and he was told by the immigration officer that the new permit had invalidated his old permit and that he would no longer be allowed to work for the old employer.

Going through the foreign worker manual at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf you will only find that each time they refer to a change of conditions, they mention that you change employers. Same here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5553ETOC.asp in the instructions for the change of conditions form. Nothing about adding an employer or having two work permits or working for two employers at the same time.

Now, if you were to call CIC 3 times like I advised someone back in December 2011 and each time, a different call centre agent tells you that a new permit does not invalidate old and that you can continue to work for both employers or go back and forth between them as you wish as long as both permits are still valid, you should write down the dates and times you phoned and the names of the call centre agents and if you do get in trouble because of it in the end, you could at least appeal stating that you did ask CIC and they told you it was allowed.

out

Jun 23, 2012
Leon said:
I have never actually found anything concrete about this on the CIC website or anywhere else. I know someone who went to the border to apply for a new work permit for a new employer and he was told by the immigration officer that the new permit had invalidated his old permit and that he would no longer be allowed to work for the old employer.

Going through the foreign worker manual at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf you will only find that each time they refer to a change of conditions, they mention that you change employers. Same here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5553ETOC.asp in the instructions for the change of conditions form. Nothing about adding an employer or having two work permits or working for two employers at the same time.

Now, if you were to call CIC 3 times like I advised someone back in December 2011 and each time, a different call centre agent tells you that a new permit does not invalidate old and that you can continue to work for both employers or go back and forth between them as you wish as long as both permits are still valid, you should write down the dates and times you phoned and the names of the call centre agents and if you do get in trouble because of it in the end, you could at least appeal stating that you did ask CIC and they told you it was allowed.
that's very true! i tried all the effort to research in the website if dual work permit is allowed to use and i did not get any clear indication that it is possible...

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
I really wish that would happen. The new permit invalidates the old. You can see it on a person's GCMS notes. And those Call Centre agents really annoy the heck out of me by giving bad information. But they never seem to get called on it. But an appeal like this would be a judicial review. Minimum $5K.

watchpu5hp

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th Dec 2012
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
28th Jan 2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
24th Sep 2013
Med's Done....
1st Oct 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21st Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7th nov 2013
LANDED..........
10th Nov 2013
rjessome said:
I really wish that would happen. The new permit invalidates the old. You can see it on a person's GCMS notes. And those Call Centre agents really annoy the heck out of me by giving bad information. But they never seem to get called on it. But an appeal like this would be a judicial review. Minimum $5K.
You mean to say all CIC call centre agents giving wrong information. Even my Immigration attorney confirmed the same. What should a person do in these circumstances?

Reactions: RJW

out

Jun 23, 2012
watchpu5hp said:
You mean to say all CIC call centre agents giving wrong information. Even my Immigration attorney confirmed the same. What should a person do in these circumstances?
hello watchpu5hp, what did your immigration attorney confirmed? i am one of the readers who find knowledge ang information through this thread topic...thank you for the reply!

watchpu5hp

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th Dec 2012
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
28th Jan 2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
24th Sep 2013
Med's Done....
1st Oct 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21st Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7th nov 2013
LANDED..........
10th Nov 2013
out said:
hello watchpu5hp, what did your immigration attorney confirmed? i am one of the readers who find knowledge ang information through this thread topic...thank you for the reply!
Well my concern was if would be able to serve my notice period in the old company after i get the confirmed work permit with the new employer. I was reluctant to resign from old company until i get confirmed work permit from new employer.

His response was:
"Your old work permit will still be valid until it expires. A person can have two work permits at the same time."