+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help regarding change of status during Express Entry PR process

anky2015

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Hey guys....

I am currently having 450 points and i guess there are chances that CRS may get lower than dis in d upcoming draws.
I am planning to get married soon in 2016 and I have some queries regarding that which process would be the best and the fastest for getting the PR processed for me and my fiance. I would really appreciate if anyone can suggest which option will be best out of the following -

1. Should I apply as a single applicant now and after getting the invitation and once the PR processing starts, then later on (say after 1 or 2 months) I will get married and then I can update my profile status in my PR application, so will it be applicable to both me and my spouse and we both can get PR at the same time?
2. Or should I first get married and then wait for the invitation and then apply together in express entry as a couple?
3. Or should I wait for my PR to come and later on I can apply for my spouse's PR?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: KabirMoho

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anky2015 said:
Hey guys....

I am currently having 450 points and i guess there are chances that CRS may get lower than dis in d upcoming draws.
I am planning to get married soon in 2016 and I have some queries regarding that which process would be the best and the fastest for getting the PR processed for me and my fiance. I would really appreciate if anyone can suggest which option will be best out of the following -

1. Should I apply as a single applicant now and after getting the invitation and once the PR processing starts, then later on (say after 1 or 2 months) I will get married and then I can update my profile status in my PR application, so will it be applicable to both me and my spouse and we both can get PR at the same time?
2. Or should I first get married and then wait for the invitation and then apply together in express entry as a couple?
3. Or should I wait for my PR to come and later on I can apply for my spouse's PR?

Thanks in advance.
First of all, are you married or are you planning to get married? You state that you are planning to get married and then in point (1) you refer to your fiance/wife as your 'spouse'.

If you are not married, and you have no guarantees that you will receive an 'Invitation To Apply', I would suggest that you plan your wedding and include your fiance's details as a 'Secondary Applicant'. Ensure she has done her language test, got her education evaluated etc. This way you are not waiting for an arbitrary date to plan your wedding. Remember though as a couple you will get less points than you do as an Individual applicant.

Disclosure: This is my suggestion based on the information you provided. I don't know the exact details of your application.

anky2015

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
JoacRy said:
First of all, are you married or are you planning to get married? You state that you are planning to get married and then in point (1) you refer to your fiance/wife as your 'spouse'.

If you are not married, and you have no guarantees that you will receive an 'Invitation To Apply', I would suggest that you plan your wedding and include your fiance's details as a 'Secondary Applicant'. Ensure she has done her language test, got her education evaluated etc. This way you are not waiting for an arbitrary date to plan your wedding. Remember though as a couple you will get less points than you do as an Individual applicant.

Disclosure: This is my suggestion based on the information you provided. I don't know the exact details of your application.
Thank u for ur response.
I am not married currently but have to get married in coming 4-5 months. So if i'll get an invitation now from CIC and I apply for PR now, so during the processing of my PR application, if I get married and my status changes and I notify CIC of my marriage status then is it going to affect my PR processing. Also, will my spouse also get the PR along with me.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anky2015 said:
Thank u for ur response.
I am not married currently but have to get married in coming 4-5 months. So if i'll get an invitation now from CIC and I apply for PR now, so during the processing of my PR application, if I get married and my status changes and I notify CIC of my marriage status then is it going to affect my PR processing. Also, will my spouse also get the PR along with me.
No your spouse will not get PR if you apply with your current position (ie unmarried). You and your fiance have to either be 'common law partners' or 'married' to apply as 'Joint applicants'. CIC does not accept 2 unmarried people applying on a single application. As it stands you have 3 choices:

1) You apply now (as a single applicant), possible get an ITA and you possibly get PR. You then have to find a way to sponsor your spouse after getting PR.
2) In scenario (1), your fiance can apply as a single applicant as well. You may both get PR at the same time.
3) You wait to get married and then file a 'Joint Application' for PR (As stated earlier you get less points for 'Joint' applications).

anky2015

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
JoacRy said:
No your spouse will not get PR if you apply with your current position (ie unmarried). You and your fiance have to either be 'common law partners' or 'married' to apply as 'Joint applicants'. CIC does not accept 2 unmarried people applying on a single application. As it stands you have 3 choices:

1) You apply now (as a single applicant), possible get an ITA and you possibly get PR. You then have to find a way to sponsor your spouse after getting PR.
2) In scenario (1), your fiance can apply as a single applicant as well. You may both get PR at the same time.
3) You wait to get married and then file a 'Joint Application' for PR (As stated earlier you get less points for 'Joint' applications).
Ohh. got ur point now. Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestion.
+1 for u. :) :)

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anky2015 said:
Ohh. got ur point now. Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestion.
+1 for u. :) :)
Or you apply as a single applicant now, get an ITA, apply with that ITA, get married before the decision is made on your application and add your spouse to the current application itself without affecting your points.

anky2015

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Or you apply as a single applicant now, get an ITA, apply with that ITA, get married before the decision is made on your application and add your spouse to the current application itself without affecting your points.
Actually, thats what I wanted to ask if this option is possible. Like to add the spouse before a decision is reached on my PR application, so will she get the PR then if I add her to my application as spouse and then I get approved in my application?

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anky2015 said:
Actually, thats what I wanted to ask if this option is possible. Like to add the spouse before a decision is reached on my PR application, so will she get the PR then if I add her to my application as spouse and then I get approved in my application?
Only as long as you don't get any points by adding your Spouse's details to the application. If you get points (for adding your spouse), then the VO will re-calculate and deny the application if the points obtained by adding your spouse to the application cause your total CRS points to fall below the threshold for the draw that you got an ITA in.

Example:

You have 450 points

Draw you get selected for has CRS of 449.

By adding your spouse's details your overall score changes to 445. This will cause your application to be denied.

(Remember: When a Joint application is filed, depending upon information entered for the 'Secondary Applicant' the points total may go down as Individual applicants get more CRS points than 'Joint' applicants).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

(Note: how the score 'Without a Spouse' is always higher than for that 'With a Spouse').

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoacRy said:
Only as long as you don't get any points by adding your Spouse's details to the application. If you get points (for adding your spouse), then the VO will re-calculate and deny the application if the points obtained by adding your spouse to the application cause your total CRS points to fall below the threshold for the draw that you got an ITA in.

Example:

You have 450 points

Draw you get selected for has CRS of 449.

By adding your spouse's details your overall score changes to 445. This will cause your application to be denied.

(Remember: When a Joint application is filed, depending upon information entered for the 'Secondary Applicant' the points total may go down as Individual applicants get more CRS points than 'Joint' applicants).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

(Note: how the score 'Without a Spouse' is always higher than for that 'With a Spouse').
Correct in general. Incorrect in this context.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anky2015 said:
Definitely possible.

The crucial thing here is the time you get married. If you get married BEFORE you submit the post ITA application, you will have to include your spouse in that application and your points will be recalculated as mentioned by JoacRY leading to a refusal if your recalculated score falls below that draw's cutoff score. If you get married AFTER you submit the post ITA application but BEFORE decision is made in your case, your spouse will be added to your application without points being recalculated and they will get PR along with you if a positive decision is made on your application. Of course, you will have to show more POF (unless you're invited under CEC or have an LMIA supported job) and your spouse will have to undergo medicals and provide PCC(s).

Reactions: DiNaV

anky2015

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Definitely possible.

The crucial thing here is the time you get married. If you get married BEFORE you submit the post ITA application, you will have to include your spouse in that application and your points will be recalculated as mentioned by JoacRY leading to a refusal if your recalculated score falls below that draw's cutoff score. If you get married AFTER you submit the post ITA application but BEFORE decision is made in your case, your spouse will be added to your application without points being recalculated and they will get PR along with you if a positive decision is made on your application. Of course, you will have to show more POF (unless you're invited under CEC or have an LMIA supported job) and your spouse will have to undergo medicals and provide PCC(s).
Thank you so much JoacRY and Asivad Anac. You were really helpful and gave me a total insight to my situation's dilemma. I am really grateful to u guyz.
+1 for both of u.

cjs

Nov 13, 2015
I think that they will not allow spouse to be added after ITA documents are submitted. You can only update CIC that you are married but you can not accompany your spouse with you if you have filed for PR alone.
Once you reach Canada then apply for you spouse. Make sure you update CIC about your marriage post filing PR.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cjs said:
I think that they will not allow spouse to be added after ITA documents are submitted. You can only update CIC that you are married but you can not accompany your spouse with you if you have filed for PR alone.
Once you reach Canada then apply for you spouse. Make sure you update CIC about your marriage post filing PR.
Incorrect.

If you were married prior to submitting the application and applied as a single applicant (spouse not accompanying), you cannot add the spouse after receiving ITA or submitting post ITA application without having your points recalculated.

If you were indeed single while submitting your post ITA application and subsequently got married before a decision was made on your application, you can add your spouse to the same application without any recalculation of your score.

cjs

Nov 13, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Incorrect.

If you were married prior to submitting the application and applied as a single applicant (spouse not accompanying), you cannot add the spouse after receiving ITA or submitting post ITA application without having your points recalculated.

If you were indeed single while submitting your post ITA application and subsequently got married before a decision was made on your application, you can add your spouse to the same application without any recalculation of your score.
Please share relevant link for this. This might be misleading.