+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help please ! Proof of identification of minor ?

Aza55

Feb 12, 2022
We applied as a family in December and the paper came back saying that “ you have not submitted two identification documents for child “ but I have submitted both the pr cards for the kids along with the passport first page ! What is missing here ? What should i add to their application? And how to re apply my documents given that the adult application is accepted?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
For our minor daughter, we submitted a copy of the passport and an 'Emergency Medical Info' document from the school, which had a photo.
Got this document from the Peel District School Board.

Both were accepted by IRCC. They became citizens in 2020.

Reactions: Aza55

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
For adults, IRCC accepts PR card as valid identification only if the second document is issued by Canadian Government. The same would apply for minors as well, even though it is not specifically mentioned in the application guide.

You can submit a webform with the second document for the child and that should suffice.

Reactions: Aza55

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
For adults, IRCC accepts PR card as valid identification only if the second document is issued by Canadian Government. The same would apply for minors as well, even though it is not specifically mentioned in the application guide.

You can submit a webform with the second document for the child and that should suffice.
Do you know this for a fact or is that just your opinion? I haven't seen anything anywhere about a PR card not being ok and I also know of at least one forum member here who submitted a PR card and a passport without issue.

Also, regarding identification from foreign countries, it seems that it is ok?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/acceptable-documents-show-identity-applications.html

Thanks

Reactions: limhockkiong

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Do you know this for a fact or is that just your opinion? I haven't seen anything anywhere about a PR card not being ok and I also know of at least one forum member here who submitted a PR card and a passport without issue.

Also, regarding identification from foreign countries, it seems that it is ok?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/acceptable-documents-show-identity-applications.html

Thanks
This isn't my opinion. I'm quoting the guide. You may want to refer to it.

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
This isn't my opinion. I'm quoting the guide. You may want to refer to it.
You are quoting which guide? Clearly you aren't quoting the guide relating to citizenship application for minors because what you say is not included there. You said the following yourself:

"The same would apply for minors as well, even though it is not specifically mentioned in the application guide." My question was simply whether you were sure the same conditions applied or whether you simply assumed they were. I ask because a frequent poster on this forum recently told me that IRCC accepted a foreign passport along with a PR card to fulfill the ID requirement.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
This form and guide is for permanent residents, under 18 years of age, who have one parent who is a Canadian citizen or one parent who is applying for their Canadian citizenship at the same time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

Step 2 - Gather the minor’s documents

• Photocopy of two (2) pieces of personal identification.
    Both pieces of identification should show the minor’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.
    Examples include:
    • school record;
    • health insurance card;
    • a passport page containing their photo and personal details;
    • a hospital or immunization record, may be provided.
    • Note: If there is information on both sides of the identification document, photocopy both sides.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
You are quoting which guide? Clearly you aren't quoting the guide relating to citizenship application for minors because what you say is not included there. You said the following yourself:

"The same would apply for minors as well, even though it is not specifically mentioned in the application guide." My question was simply whether you were sure the same conditions applied or whether you simply assumed they were. I ask because a frequent poster on this forum recently told me that IRCC accepted a foreign passport along with a PR card to fulfill the ID requirement.
ok, my bad. The guide clearly says that for adults, so for minors it my inference that the same would work. If PP + PRC worked for someone, go for it.

Reactions: expatgoingback

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Okay guys, just so that I understand clearly.

For @Aza55, the PR and passport photocopies were not accepted as two personal identification docs.

For @expatgoingback, you said one of the forumers told you the PR card and passport were accepted as personal identification for a minor's citizenship application. Is this correct?

We have an inconsistency here?

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Okay guys, just so that I understand clearly.

For @Aza55, the PR and passport photocopies were not accepted as two personal identification docs.

For @expatgoingback, you said one of the forumers told you the PR card and passport were accepted as personal identification for a minor's citizenship application. Is this correct?

We have an inconsistency here?
Yes, @armoured can hopefully confirm that for you.

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
From the guidance, it reads like you need to have two pieces of personal identification and one of which must have a photograph. In @Aza55 case, he has submitted the biographical page of his daughter's passport. So that would count as one document with a photograph. The second document only needs to have the daughter's name and DOB, and a photograph isn't necessary.

@Aza55 why didn't you submit the school report card or healthcare card even if they do not have photograph? Just curious why did you include the PR card as second personal identification.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, @armoured can hopefully confirm that for you.
Not clear what I'm being asked to confirm. We applied with two passport (copies) and was not accepted, that might have been an error (one passport may have been expired but I though they said recently expired passports ok - at any rate, I can't confirm facts but we had a problem).

Re-applied with passport and PR card and was accepted. (Still had the other passport copy). I can't recall but may also have included the provincial health card (no photo).

But again, since no photo needed, the other docs they suggest should work too.

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Not clear what I'm being asked to confirm. We applied with two passport (copies) and was not accepted, that might have been an error (one passport may have been expired but I though they said recently expired passports ok - at any rate, I can't confirm facts but we had a problem).

Re-applied with passport and PR card and was accepted. (Still had the other passport copy). I can't recall but may also have included the provincial health card (no photo).

But again, since no photo needed, the other docs they suggest should work too.
Thanks, simply that you had provided a PR card as one of the IDs and it was accepted.

Reactions: armoured

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Application for Canadian Citizenship – Minors – Subsection 5(2): Parent or guardian applying for a minor (under age 18)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html#step2

Photocopy of two (2) pieces of personal identification.
Both pieces of identification should show the minor’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.
Examples include:

• school record;
  • health insurance card;
  • a passport page containing their photo and personal details;
  • a hospital or immunization record, may be provided.
  • Note: If there is information on both sides of the identification document, photocopy both sides.
PR Card as an identification document is not accepted in this case

Application for Canadian Citizenship: Minors – Subsection 5(1): Minor without a Canadian parent applying alone
Photocopy of two (2) pieces of identification, one which must have a photo. Examples include:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html#step3
  • a copy of the biographical page of the minor’s passport or travel document can be used as one (1) piece of identification;
  • permanent resident card (PR card);
    • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government.
  • identity card issued by a provincial/territorial/federal government;
  • social services card;
  • a Canadian driver’s licence;
  • a Canadian health insurance card;
  • school identification card;
  • non-government issued identification;
  • foreign identity documents.

Reactions: delray55