+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* PGWP EXTENSION UPON PASSPORT RENEWAL (AS PER NOTE)

yl12042

Feb 7, 2020
Does anyone whether you can extend your PGWP in the US/Outside of Canada?
I'm currently outside Canada and my PGWP says that I can renew it as it was issued only until the expiry date of my passport.

basim refat

Apr 16, 2018
Hi. Did u have a remark in your work permit saying that you could extend the pgwp? In the form that you used (probably IMM5710E) what was the duration of work that you put? The same initial and final date (from - to) or different?

I have to extend my pgwp too. It doesn't have a remark saying that I can extend or that the work permit was issued until passport expire date, but the work permit expiry date it's exactly the same as my old passport (17-March-2019), and my college program was 28 months eligible for 3 years(all my classmates got 3 years for their pgwp, while I got until march 2019 in a total of 20 months).
Hi Danlb,
Have you got the PGWP extended yet? if yes have you used an online application?
My PGWP doesn't have any remark i.e. issued until passport expire date, is that okay?

penacare

Star Member
May 22, 2017
Can I leave Canada and return without any problem if my PGWP Extension is still in process? My actual PGWP expires in June 29, 2020 ( I applied for the extension 5 months previous to my expiration date)

Reactions: Anmol Arora

Anmol Arora

Sep 3, 2017
Can I leave Canada and return without any problem if my PGWP Extension is still in process? My actual PGWP expires in June 29, 2020 ( I applied for the extension 5 months previous to my expiration date)
It is learnt that until your TRV is valid with multi entry, your work permit application has no restrictions on your moving out of Canada and coming back.
I think your TRV will also be expiring on 20th June along with PGWP.
If you come back before 20th June, there will not be any problem as both will be valid.
I suggest you to confirm the fact with some lawyer and update this thread.
Can you please share the list of documents you sent for extension along with solutions for the problems you faced while completing 5710e.

diyaburman

Jul 8, 2019
Hello All,

I'm posting a quick question here because I couldn't find any other discussion relevant to it and this thread seems to be very recent in 20200:

Did we have to send a photograph with the paper based PGWP extension application? Because there was no mention of a photograph requirement in the document checklist for the paper based application.

brave_man

Feb 21, 2020
Hi there,
Check with your embassy/the high commission of your home country in Canada so yoy can get the passport renewed.
Your embassy will ususally charge a fee but they should be ableto process this within 2 weeks or less

If you have completed this step, check the cic website: to extend work permit
yes you will be required to pay a fee: $155
but if you want it to be open and not limited to the same employer, pay $100 extra.

Now here's the tricky bit:
Do the Questionnaire on the cic page ad try to submit your application online( this is faster)
if you get through successfully, please let us know what steps you took.
If not, apply via the paper route to the office in Vegreville, Alberta:
pls see relevant info below

To all people, who are in same situation. Following is the process explained that helped me get my PGWP for remaining 2 Years.

1. Write a Request Letter (Very Important)-
I used this template when applying for extension.

2. Make sure, you pay the PGWP application fee as well as $100 additional fees before you send your application.

3. You have to send your documents to "Unit 555" not Unit 202.

4. Overall Processing time for my entire application was 4 months.

5. Application Kit:

a. Document Checklist: Required

1. Tick following options under ALL APPLICANTS: IMM5710, IMM5556.
2. Tick following options under WORK PERMIT: Passport, Current Immigration Document.

b. IMM5710: Required

Answers for some important questions:

1. I am applying for one or more of the following:
* An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
2. Under "Details of Intended Work in Canada" Section,
Select What type of work permit are you applying for: Post Graduation Work Permit
Leave all other sections blank.
3. Under "Employment" section,
Mention your current work experience in first box. It's enough.
4. Under "Background Information",
Select "Yes" for "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?".
Add following line in box "*d)".
APPLIED FOR POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ON "Old PGWP Date". PERMIT ISSUED WITH VALIDITY UPTO "PGWP Expiry Date".

c. Attach photocopy of first page, last page of your Passport, PGWP and Official Receipt.

6. Use the fastest possible delivery service, I used Canada Post from Toronto. They charged me $55 and took 3 days to deliver the package to Vegreville.

Pls let us know how your processing goes if you have any loopholes in the process.
Thanks
Do I need to provide the Degree completion letter/ Transcript while applying for the PGWP extension on paper?

Mann157

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Can you apply for PGWP and SOWP extensions at same time or PGWP needs to be approved first and then only you can apply for SOWP extension?

Anmol Arora

Sep 3, 2017
Hi
What is the current immigration status document. This is mentioned in the check list imm5556 and has to be sent along with imm5710.
Is it the previous PGWP?
Some body please help to understand.

Gaby Morales

Jul 28, 2017
Hi there,
Check with your embassy/the high commission of your home country in Canada so yoy can get the passport renewed.
Your embassy will ususally charge a fee but they should be ableto process this within 2 weeks or less

If you have completed this step, check the cic website: to extend work permit
yes you will be required to pay a fee: $155
but if you want it to be open and not limited to the same employer, pay $100 extra.

Now here's the tricky bit:
Do the Questionnaire on the cic page ad try to submit your application online( this is faster)
if you get through successfully, please let us know what steps you took.
If not, apply via the paper route to the office in Vegreville, Alberta:
pls see relevant info below

To all people, who are in same situation. Following is the process explained that helped me get my PGWP for remaining 2 Years.

1. Write a Request Letter (Very Important)-
I used this template when applying for extension.

2. Make sure, you pay the PGWP application fee as well as $100 additional fees before you send your application.

3. You have to send your documents to "Unit 555" not Unit 202.

4. Overall Processing time for my entire application was 4 months.

5. Application Kit:

a. Document Checklist: Required

1. Tick following options under ALL APPLICANTS: IMM5710, IMM5556.
2. Tick following options under WORK PERMIT: Passport, Current Immigration Document.

b. IMM5710: Required

Answers for some important questions:

1. I am applying for one or more of the following:
* An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
2. Under "Details of Intended Work in Canada" Section,
Select What type of work permit are you applying for: Post Graduation Work Permit
Leave all other sections blank.
3. Under "Employment" section,
Mention your current work experience in first box. It's enough.
4. Under "Background Information",
Select "Yes" for "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?".
Add following line in box "*d)".
APPLIED FOR POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ON "Old PGWP Date". PERMIT ISSUED WITH VALIDITY UPTO "PGWP Expiry Date".

c. Attach photocopy of first page, last page of your Passport, PGWP and Official Receipt.

6. Use the fastest possible delivery service, I used Canada Post from Toronto. They charged me $55 and took 3 days to deliver the package to Vegreville.

Pls let us know how your processing goes if you have any loopholes in the process.
Thanks
What is unit 555

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
Hi Danlb,
Have you got the PGWP extended yet? if yes have you used an online application?
My PGWP doesn't have any remark i.e. issued until passport expire date, is that okay?
Hello. Yes. I got the extension and my Pgwp also didn't had remarks. I used the paper application and a detailed Letter of Explanation to explain the case that the pgwp was issued until the expiry date of my old passport and that I would like an extension to achieve the 3 years duration on total (attachments: a copy of old pgwp, copy of old passport, copy of new passport, and basically all the documentation for the first application for the pgwp). I summarized in bullet points the documents attached in the bottom of the Letter of explanation.

I'm not sure if nowadays the application should be on paper or online as I did it in 2018 ( that time there was no information in the cic website about extension of a work permit/pgwp because of passport expiration, and nowadays there's such information). I would suggest to call cic and talk with an agent to clarify these doubts (I did it that time, and the agent gave me instructions in how to apply for the extension of pgwp).

Last edited:

Shaysharma

Apr 23, 2020
Hi Hamzapervaiz,

were you able to figure out how to link your paper application to the online system?

Hi Everyone,

I applied for the extension of my Post Graduation Work Permit, due to my passport renewal. How do I know they received my application? is there a way I can link the application to the CIC online portal? Finally, I payed the biometrics fee, as it says that from December 3, 2019 every process requires biometrics. Was that ok to do?

Regards

penacare

Star Member
May 22, 2017
Hi Hamzapervaiz,

were you able to figure out how to link your paper application to the online system?
Yes, I did it by using my IRCC account. You will see a link that redirects you to the page that lets you do it. I must say that they send me the Biometric instruction letter with my application No. With that info, I was able to do so.

Good Luck!

penacare

Star Member
May 22, 2017
Hi All,

I applied for my PGWP extension on paper on January 21st. I receive by email the biometrics instruction letter as I pay for it. However, once I linked my application to my online account, the Biometrics section says as follows: "We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes." I am confused. Do I need to give the biometrics or not? If not, can I get a refund on the biometric fee?

Regards

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
Hi All,

I applied for my PGWP extension on paper on January 21st. I receive by email the biometrics instruction letter as I pay for it. However, once I linked my application to my online account, the Biometrics section says as follows: "We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes." I am confused. Do I need to give the biometrics or not? If not, can I get a refund on the biometric fee?

Regards
That message is just a standard message in the website when you first create or link a new application. You'll need to do the bio-metrics.
Anyway, you can confirm if u need (or not) through this link: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/biometrics.asp

Last edited:
Reactions: penacare

victor101

Star Member
Jul 23, 2019
Hello all! Can some one please provide me with clear instructions on how to apply for a postgraduate work permit extension.
PLEASE NOTE: I was only given a PGWP for 8 months due to the expiry date of my passport. My PGWP states below under notes: further extensions upon passport renewal.

I have scanned the CIC website high and low for information that fits my needs but cant seem to find any. Ive tried calling CIC but didn't get the info I wanted or atleast I dont feel secure enough. The lady emailed me a 5710E form.

Questions:
1) Do I have to pay a fee? If so how much and how?
2) Is it "MAIL" Only, is there no way to do this online? I'm guessing CIC isn't set up for such extensions online?
3) Do i have to provide some kind of letter of explanation?
4) What else do I need to know/do?

Any help would be great! Looking for someone who was in a similar situation to help or provide with info! Please and thanks!
Hi,

1.) Yes it will be a new application so you have yo pay the fee I guess its CN$255 ( you can pay the fee online. and once you paid it, an electronic receipt will me emailed to you and include that to your supporting documents and on your letter of explanation stating that together with this application is the proof of payment.

2.) Might as well do it via MAIL just to be safe.

3.) Provide a letter of explanation emphasizing that you are were initially issued 8 months PGWP due to validity of your passport but you have renewed your passport and applying for an extension as reference to note/remark on your existing PGWP.

4.) You can submit the same supporting documents you used when you first apply. You will only need to change the Letter of Explanation. ( Ask other members as well for their feedback.)

Last edited: